Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Interior Scratches - Repair Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:30 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Olivia350z
i agree, wheelman. we all need to call up there and complain to the same person!
It's a nice idea but you have to realize, if a dozen people call with the same problem, that's hardly a blip on the radar. It won't get any real attention until it starts showing up on hundreds or thousands of cars. You've got a handful of people out of 150K Zs out there who might fall into this category.

You saw the reaction to the other thread, the general belief is that it's the owner abusing the car. Nissan will see it the same way until there's some concrete proof that there is a problem in materials or manufacturing.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:38 AM
hershell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem with my 06 Z. I had the problem with my 03 Frontier, and my 05 Armada. I think it is a Nissan thing.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:43 AM
Wheelman

On another note, does anyone know the type of material used to coat the 06+ bezels? It shouldn't be too difficult to re-do these myself. Hell, maybe I'll paint them in Silverstone...
Old 08-27-2007, 08:58 AM
jgregory124

wow this makes me want to paint my interior, I dont want this to happen. what to do to prevent this
Old 08-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Olivia
Z-GiRL

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
It's a nice idea but you have to realize, if a dozen people call with the same problem, that's hardly a blip on the radar. It won't get any real attention until it starts showing up on hundreds or thousands of cars. You've got a handful of people out of 150K Zs out there who might fall into this category.

You saw the reaction to the other thread, the general belief is that it's the owner abusing the car. Nissan will see it the same way until there's some concrete proof that there is a problem in materials or manufacturing.

yeah, i see what you mean. well, if enough people on the board are having this issue, maybe we all can complain, you know? i dunno though. i may just ignore it and move on. maybe i'll get them to fix my steering wheel. thats probably the best i can do.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:33 AM
roey

I think im just going to buy some new door switch covers.... Is the dealership the best place to get them from
Old 08-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Olivia
Z-GiRL

probably be best to order them from courtesyparts.com
Old 08-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheelman
On another note, does anyone know the type of material used to coat the 06+ bezels? It shouldn't be too difficult to re-do these myself. Hell, maybe I'll paint them in Silverstone...
GOOD IDEA!!! What is the paint code for Silverstone anyway? I want to buy a can of the paint.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jgregory124
wow this makes me want to paint my interior, I dont want this to happen. what to do to prevent this
Interior protectant? ProShine or ArmorAll?
Old 08-27-2007, 12:56 PM
tropicalypso

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roey
I agree it doesn't look too impresive does it. I am using that 303 cleaner for my interior panels. Just scratching a finger nail on the door switch panels will take the thin layer of rubber off producing those horrible white marks. And I have very short finger nails, not claws.....

I am just wondering how hard it would be to do my own cf panels, maybe I'll try that, as I am not too optimistic about Nissan warrantying this issue.
+1

I think its ridiculous that you can scratch a noticeable mark in the rubberized finish of the interior pieces. It doesn't even take any measurable pressure to do so. I noticed a scratch just under my stereo. So, thinking that it was dust or some sort of mark, I rubbed it lightly with my finger, only to have more come off. Mind you, that wasn't even using my fingernail.

A carbon kit looks like the best way to go.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:30 PM
TimeAttkZ

YES ! Finally someone else with this problem. Ive noticed that my 05 (with only 30k) is doing the same thing. My problem is only with the doors. My steering wheel and dash is fine. But the interior of my door looks just like that picture I couldnt figure out why. I take such good care of my Z its almost scary. I never use products to clean the interior either. My car is garaged every night and never sits in the sun. I simply dont understand the chips and nics. Im very obsessive compulsive with my Z so it really bothers me. Im going to talk to WC nissan next time I go for an oil change etc.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Wheelman

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z
Interior protectant? ProShine or ArmorAll?
That isn't going to help in this situation. I don't think most of the guys with older Zs understand....straight plastic is alot different than this type of coating we have to deal with. And I am way meticulous with my stuff, no nails, and nothing loose is even allowed to lay around in my car, much less anything in my hands when im opening the door or shifting...
Old 08-27-2007, 06:28 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by Wheelman
That isn't going to help in this situation. I don't think most of the guys with older Zs understand....straight plastic is alot different than this type of coating we have to deal with. And I am way meticulous with my stuff, no nails, and nothing loose is even allowed to lay around in my car, much less anything in my hands when im opening the door or shifting...
Mine seems to get "gummy/sticky", kinda hard to explain. It will easily rub or scratch off with the slightest scrape. I think it has to be a flaw in the material composition. It's a kind of spray on rubber coating/paint, but it isn't holding up to the heat and/or human sweat/acidity. I have seen rubber coating "paint" in a can at Lowes. Do you think this is something similar?

John
Old 08-28-2007, 12:59 AM
INDOMANZia

found a way to get rid of the wearing on the steering wheel... use armor all interior wipes i kind of reduces the wearing...
Old 08-28-2007, 01:12 AM
702Fairlady

The silver on the steering wheel of mine is peeled and looks like ***. Not really noticable to other people, but bothers the crap outta me. Im gonna get some vinyl overlays to go over it.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:03 AM
k3silk

Yeah I have the same problem it started to bother me but I thought nissan would just say wear and tear.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:03 AM
Wheelman

Originally Posted by antennahead
Mine seems to get "gummy/sticky", kinda hard to explain. It will easily rub or scratch off with the slightest scrape. I think it has to be a flaw in the material composition. It's a kind of spray on rubber coating/paint, but it isn't holding up to the heat and/or human sweat/acidity. I have seen rubber coating "paint" in a can at Lowes. Do you think this is something similar?

John
I am considering stripping them and repainting them with something similar to this, or with some silverstone paint to match the outside...
Old 08-28-2007, 07:04 AM
roey

Just found what i think is the correct replacement for the door switch panel at courtesyparts.com http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasite/kb_search_result.php?keywords=[80961]+\(z33&cPath=714_715_846_857 but the color says Black and Orange. Does anyone have any idea what the orange is?
Old 08-28-2007, 07:43 AM
wheat

I have an 05 and i have similar problems...anyone know a good place for carbon fiber replacements?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Olivia
Z-GiRL

contact JDMZ33

Quick Reply: Interior Scratches - Repair Discussion