Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clicking noise during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 03:33 PM
sschmuve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise during acceleration

I've had this problem for a few weeks now. When I take off, there is a strange clicking sound from the rear. I hear it mostly in 1st and 2nd gear. Imagine what it would sound like dragging a pencil over a screen door spring. I don't know if it's the suspension or drivetrain. It's really annoying, and somewhat embarrassing. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm taking her in to the dealership tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:17 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Many posts to the effect, do a search for chirping, clicking and you should get something.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:33 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same clicking noise. Got it checked out and they tighten the axle nuts. This was done about a week ago and never came back.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:00 PM
sschmuve

Well...nothing got fixed yet I dropped the car off in the morning, and got a call in the afternoon saying they couldn't duplicate the problem. I went and took the tech for a drive, and demonstrated the noise for him. He seemed a little surprised, and said he needed the car next week, for a full day, to diagnose the problem. I told him to try tightening the axle nuts, but he still wants the car for a day just in case. The good news is...He will advance my timing on the down low. They quoted me 1 hour labor, $90, for that 2 minute job. That's just crazy. You'd think they would do this as a quick courtesy.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:06 PM
JonsilvZ

I brought my car in first in the morning, did a oil change, changed the Bose amp, fixed the clicking noise. All this in a couple of hrs. Oh well not all dealers have the same service.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:18 AM
Mus27

JonsilvZ

What dealership did you go to? I live in Staten Island and i need to take the car in for service. Staten Island Nissan is no help so i was wondering if you knew of any good services dealers in the city.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:53 PM
JonsilvZ

Originally posted by Mus27
JonsilvZ

What dealership did you go to? I live in Staten Island and i need to take the car in for service. Staten Island Nissan is no help so i was wondering if you knew of any good services dealers in the city.
I bought my Z at Star Nissan(Bayside NY) and also get it serviced there.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:08 PM
gotagetmyZ

My car just started making that clicking type noise this week. Just like mentioned above, I've only heard it in first and second. I will take my car in on Tuesday to get it checked out. I am on my second tranny so I hope it is just a matter of tighening the axle nuts but that in itself is really starting to bug me.

Keep us posted and I'll do the same.

By the way my car only makes the noise on medium take-offs and at big time launches it sounds AAaaarghhhhhh........, at very slow take-offs I haven't heard anything. I'm not the slow take off type of guy so this is getting annoying and embarassing

Peace
Old 05-28-2003, 02:12 PM
mschwartz26

Did the rest of you get this fixed by the dealership? My car has been there for 5 days now and they can't figure it out. I will call them right now...but would love to hear if that is what it was with everything else?
Old 05-28-2003, 09:13 PM
gotagetmyZ

Default The Solution Engine Mount Bolt

This might be a new one for you guys but here goes......

Last week while doing some spirited driving and enjoying the sweet little rumble of the 6 (windows rolled down ofcourse), a distinct noise started coming from somewhere as I would take of on first gear and sometimes second. This noise sounded like a loud clicking sound. Sounded like sticking a pencil into a spoke wheel while its turning. The more I floored it the louder the sound. Trying to pin point the problem wasn't working so I decided to take the car into the dealership today Wednesday. To make a long story short, after about 7 hrs. with my car they finally solved the problem. 1st, I had a loose heat shield ( somewhere near the exhaust). they tighened it but the noise still persisted. 2nd, the rear axle rods were a bit loose so they tighened them. The noise continued! Finally, working there way toward the front of the car they found....................................
.................... that the bolt was missing from the left engine mount! This was a bit shocking but I guess anything is possible and after a new tranny and tire feathering nothing suprises me much anymore. I still love and live the Z though. Just thought I'd share this with you guys. I don't wish this upon anyone but if it does happen to someone else, this might be the problem,

P.S. They replace the bolt and I was on my way.

Sorry, I just copied and pasted my post from another forum!

The D