Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Sputtering During Warm-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 04:12 PM
fairlady rasir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow i haven't encountered that problem (knocking on wood). i already went to the dealer due to clutch problems.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,

mine comes up once in a while...i warmed up my engine, drove it a few metres ahead with light throttle n it starts, wen i put on more acceleration it goes away. Had this issue even b4 i installed my exhaust. Check my plugs at the dealers n it was fine. They even opened up my filters to check any clogs. Still investigating whats goin on. If you guys have anymore info on why this happens let us know please.. thanks...

Cheers,
D
The following users liked this post:
Longryder (01-26-2020)
Old 11-08-2007, 04:20 PM
zdatsun

Odd, I get the sputter thing when my engine has warmed up totally. No codes and the techs just scratch their heads. Also happened before any mods added. They suggested a different brand of gas even though I've only used 93 octane from day one at different stations already. HMMMMMMM
Old 11-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Mansmind

I still get it, I think it's the throttle position sensor. For me it tends to happen when I've had my foot completely off the accelerator, then back on lightly (as in adjusting speed in traffic, or between gear shifts ). Seems to be the same throttle position every time. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that it only happens after driving for the first few minutes. I'm not sure how operating temperature would affect it.. but it seems to.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:20 PM
diablo25mn

Originally Posted by Mansmind
I still get it, I think it's the throttle position sensor. For me it tends to happen when I've had my foot completely off the accelerator, then back on lightly (as in adjusting speed in traffic, or between gear shifts ). Seems to be the same throttle position every time. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that it only happens after driving for the first few minutes. I'm not sure how operating temperature would affect it.. but it seems to.

Same with me, its still going on. Change wieght of oil, air filters, cleaned the MAF sensors... nothing.. always during warm-up..
Old 11-11-2007, 08:46 AM
t-350z

i have a 07 with 1,000 miles on it and i didn't really notice this before. When at idle its starting to vibrate allot more noticeably is that normal?
Old 11-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Mansmind

Depends on what you mean by vibrate I suppose. I don't think what you're describing is this problem however.

This issue isn't even a "missing" issue, it's actually shutting fuel and/or spark off to all cylinders the best I can tell. Feels exactly like the traction control/vdc coming on when it shouldn't.

John
Old 11-11-2007, 10:29 AM
quidproquo
Need a Tune!!!

This thread sent chills up my spine!!! I haven't noticed this happening on my Z (yet)... However, I recall going through this with my 2002 Maxima.

After reading the symptom, I immediately pulled the TSB I saved back when my maxima was doing exactly the same thing.

Hesitation Lack of Power ntb03-023.pdf

Even with this TSB in hand I had to jump through hoops to get the dealer to act on it... They claimed they couldn't replicate!!!! After going to three different dealers, I finally found one who took action finally resolving my problem.

I'm not insinuating this will fix the problem with our Zs, but at least it provides some history for a possible sollution.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:12 PM
diablo25mn

Originally Posted by BADASSTT
Dont have that problem here.But I do use Shell gas.
Exclusively used Shell gas... and I am in Florida where 93 is available. Switch to Chevron now.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:58 AM
tourinz

Originally Posted by Corradoslc7
Someone should really call up their local Nissan dealer and see if there is a re-flash for the ecu to improve cold starts. You might also try switching gas stations, it may be as simple as a bad tank of gas.
Service Advisor here, for maroone Nissan of Delray... owner of a 2007 base model myself.... haven't experienced that issue yet, and I'm surprised to hear that so manny people are experiencing this issue. I checked NNaNet and there are no bulletins regarding this issue.... If you had a mysfire, the ECU would throw a Check engine light...now the fact that you are using a thicker oil could have something to do w/ it... I would stick to 5w30 and change gas stations for a start. Any spark plug/coils/ etc issues would be picked up by the ECU... I check further into the subject to see if there are oher cases like these in other dealers...
Old 11-12-2007, 06:57 AM
Mansmind

Originally Posted by tourinz
Service Advisor here, for maroone Nissan of Delray... owner of a 2007 base model myself.... haven't experienced that issue yet, and I'm surprised to hear that so manny people are experiencing this issue. I checked NNaNet and there are no bulletins regarding this issue.... If you had a mysfire, the ECU would throw a Check engine light...now the fact that you are using a thicker oil could have something to do w/ it... I would stick to 5w30 and change gas stations for a start. Any spark plug/coils/ etc issues would be picked up by the ECU... I check further into the subject to see if there are oher cases like these in other dealers...
Appreciate you checking in. In my case it isn't oil, fuel, etc. I REALLY have a feeling it's something to do with the throttle position sensor. Periodically I feel it "hiccup" when just getting back on the throttle after shifting. This is after the "sputtering" at warm up. It seems to ALWAYS be at the same throttle postion (physical position) which is not far off the idle position.

Incidentally, if you hold the throttle steady once it starts it will "cut-out" indefinitely. It's only when you apply more throttle that it will go away..generally to not come back until next time the car has sat for a while.

I want to be clear in saying that the issue is not what I would describe as a misfire. It feels to be a complete fuel shut-off and/or spark shut-off (all cylinders. It is something electrical/computer related as in a sensor not reading correctly all the time.

John
Old 11-12-2007, 07:14 AM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

We have had this problem before and the only thing that would fix it would be replacing the throttle body. Unsure why this happens or what actually fixes it. Im not sure that the oil weight has anything to do with it i use mobil 1 0-w40 in my car and as long as i dont drive the hell out of it when its cold no problems.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:15 AM
tourinz

How long have u had the car for? maybe we can do an Idle Air volume Learning procedure. It will be free on the first 12months/12k miles of owning the car... that would be a first step.. if the TPS is bad it won't accept the learning (we got 2 on the 07) so it will need to be replaced... complaint about a erradic iddle and ask for an IAVL - if you're outside 12months/12k miles you should have to pay around 100 bucks (b/c adjustments are only covered on 12/12)
Old 11-12-2007, 07:21 AM
Mansmind

Originally Posted by tourinz
How long have u had the car for? maybe we can do an Idle Air volume Learning procedure. It will be free on the first 12months/12k miles of owning the car... that would be a first step.. if the TPS is bad it won't accept the learning (we got 2 on the 07) so it will need to be replaced... complaint about a erradic iddle and ask for an IAVL - if you're outside 12months/12k miles you should have to pay around 100 bucks (b/c adjustments are only covered on 12/12)
8 mths and 18k miles. The issue started at 12.5k. I have had it at the dealer but of course it did not do it that day (at least when they had it). I've considered going through a couple of procedures I've seen on here to see if it helps but haven't yet.

Strangely enough it hasn't been nearly as bad lately as it was at one time. In fact it seemed to get a lot better right after my last trip to the dealer although they didn't do anything. I still notice it from time to time.. just not every time I drive it like before...which is why I haven't had it back again. It's definitely the same issue however.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jarred@Z1
We have had this problem before and the only thing that would fix it would be replacing the throttle body. Unsure why this happens or what actually fixes it. Im not sure that the oil weight has anything to do with it i use mobil 1 0-w40 in my car and as long as i dont drive the hell out of it when its cold no problems.
Replacing the TB with an OEM TB..?

Cheers,
D
Old 11-13-2007, 08:03 AM
tourinz

Ok, so I experieced on mine as well... I scanned using consult ii and there no abnormalities.... the fuel ratio is good and car is rich (normal during warm up). This is so little (on myne at least) and only happens for the first minutes while at iddle that I dunno if I would be concerned about it... Thank god we all got 36months/36k miles warranty
Old 11-20-2007, 04:03 AM
diablo25mn

Bump.. still experiencing it... seems to be a little worse now during the colder weather in Florida.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:01 AM
tourinz

how bad is yours and how long does it last??
Old 11-20-2007, 05:55 AM
Mansmind

when it's there, it's terrible. Imagine constantly having smooth power (albeit very light) and then... NONE. It's a completely cut-out that happens 2 times a second or so until you change the throttle position.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:14 AM
tourinz

So it only happens if you keep the gas pedal depressed at a constant speed?

Quick Reply: Sputtering During Warm-up