Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Sputtering During Warm-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:28 AM
Mansmind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tourinz
So it only happens if you keep the gas pedal depressed at a constant speed?
That is correct. I think I said it in an earlier post, that it is at a very very light throttle position. I would estimate at about 3-5% throttle although it's very difficult to gauge that. It only happens there as far as I can tell, and it will continue to happen until you change the throttle position then it seems to go away.

I really really think it's either the throttle position sensor, or possibly the decel fuel cut-off switch not turning off correctly when you get back on the throttle. I say that because it seems to happen after a gear change and/or when getting back on the throttle after coasting.

I HAVE seen it happen periodically when first taking off after the car has set for a while as opposed to 2-3 miles down the road. The car will buck like crazy when it happens (you're in 1st gear with no momentum to speak of).
Old 11-20-2007, 01:32 PM
diablo25mn

Originally Posted by Mansmind
That is correct. I think I said it in an earlier post, that it is at a very very light throttle position. I would estimate at about 3-5% throttle although it's very difficult to gauge that. It only happens there as far as I can tell, and it will continue to happen until you change the throttle position then it seems to go away.

I really really think it's either the throttle position sensor, or possibly the decel fuel cut-off switch not turning off correctly when you get back on the throttle. I say that because it seems to happen after a gear change and/or when getting back on the throttle after coasting.

I HAVE seen it happen periodically when first taking off after the car has set for a while as opposed to 2-3 miles down the road. The car will buck like crazy when it happens (you're in 1st gear with no momentum to speak of).
Damn dead on to what I am getting, I can replicate it 100% of the time. The problem I have is that I have to wait at least 4 hours+ to do it. So, its hard to say, how I feel about going to the dealer with the HFCs installed.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:06 AM
07JimmyZ

So it only happens if you keep the gas pedal depressed at a constant speed?
Hey I met you at the dave and busters meet, 07 with volk GT-M wheels. If you think you can help resolve the issue I can bring the car down to show you, It happens to mine all the time.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:47 PM
evil_tt
Banned

My car does the same thing occationally but Its only if you give it light-medium throttle around 2-3K in every gear
Old 12-06-2007, 11:15 AM
stylett9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happens on a daily basis now...getting pretty annoying. I've noticed it happens after i go up or down a hill too... (within the first 5 minutes of driving)
Old 12-06-2007, 01:02 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

I think my NISMO is having a similar issue. I start the car, put it in 1st, and take off out of my spot, when I am barely giving it any gas, the car bucks real bad, like it's coughing. If I give it more gas, it goes away. It just started to do this like 500 miles ago. I only have 3100 miles.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Specv_USMC

the more i read the more i think i should have gone for the mustang GT (which i had) or a Evo/STi.

Just started getting the clutch/cylinder problem.

Mike
Old 12-07-2007, 03:20 AM
DelayedZ

Didn't see this thread yesterday so freakin glad to see that other people are having the same issue and I'm not alone, it sucks cause it's audibly noticeable because of my exhaust, I have to rev at a light and it seems to go away, but ya, what I do now is when is start up I just let it sit there for a while before I go anywhere in the morning, I wait till my RPM's level out and then I go, I tested this morning to see if it happened on my way to work and not nearly as bad as yesterday, I'll keep testing throughout the day and keep everyone informed, I work for a bunch of dealerships, if the issue persists I'll bring it over to Nissan and see what they have to say, funny thing you said something about the throttlebody though, I was looking at that today, wondering if it wasn't opening all the way or something.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:00 AM
Riley07

I always let my car warm up and let the RPM's level out until I go (18,000 miles)...I use Mobile 0-40 and Chevron 93 and I can say I never had this issue...Like John mentioned, it sounds as if it's a TPS issue, but if a data logger can't record the problem, what can be done??
Old 12-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Mansmind

I'm nailing it down and taking notes. If need be I'll let my car sit at the dealer over-night, go back the next day and take the mechs out for a drive so they can see/feel the issue.

I'm starting to believe the root cause is present all the time, just doesn't occur to the same degree except for that first 5 min. window. You can almost feel the throttle response "hesitate" when getting back on it.. IF you do it very lightly. This is a problem I may not have noticed at all if I didn't have to put around through town everyday.

You changed exhausts Chad?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:28 AM
Riley07

Originally Posted by Mansmind
I'm nailing it down and taking notes. If need be I'll let my car sit at the dealer over-night, go back the next day and take the mechs out for a drive so they can see/feel the issue.

I'm starting to believe the root cause is present all the time, just doesn't occur to the same degree except for that first 5 min. window. You can almost feel the throttle response "hesitate" when getting back on it.. IF you do it very lightly. This is a problem I may not have noticed at all if I didn't have to put around through town everyday.

You changed exhausts Chad?

Hopefully someone will find the cause and that wouldn't be a bad idea to leave it at Carriage over night...I'm sure they will fix it if they can replicate the problem...

Yeah, I loved the XO2, but my girlfriend thought it was too loud inside the car I wanted the Borla really anyways and got a good deal on it used....We'll have to get together again soon...
Old 12-19-2007, 02:18 PM
tourinz

Had a customer in today w/ the same complaint, no codes stored, Kept the car for 2 days... when veh is at operating temperature nothing happened... logged about 2 hours in the car w/o noticing anything different...
Old 12-19-2007, 03:03 PM
fairlady rasir

wow im surprised to see this many owners with this problem, i thought the clutch issues would be the the only problem we encounter but unfortunately its not. as for me i have yet to notice this problem with mine, yet again i only have 6300 miles on my 07 as to the ones with problems have about 9000 miles and above.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Corradoslc7

Interestingly this seems to have started during the end of October, just about the time winter gas starts to arrive at gas stations. I would bet there is a connection between everyone's rough idle and the poor quality of winter gas.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Mansmind

Originally Posted by Corradoslc7
Interestingly this seems to have started during the end of October, just about the time winter gas starts to arrive at gas stations. I would bet there is a connection between everyone's rough idle and the poor quality of winter gas.
Mine started well before October, it started in July. It's not what I would call rough idle, it happens at a very specific time during the warm up cycle. Not completely cold, but not up to normal operating temperatures either.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Mansmind

Had a customer in today w/ the same complaint, no codes stored, Kept the car for 2 days... when veh is at operating temperature nothing happened... logged about 2 hours in the car w/o noticing anything different...
Same here, no codes stored which basically means it's not affecting emissions since that's what the codes are basically geared around.

I don't think you're going to find this problem at normal operating temps. To find it, a tech is going to have to drive it after sitting overnight, and pay very close attention to throttle input, especially during gear changes and/or being completely off the throttle (coasting) then getting back on it.

If you apply anything other than light throttle (something in the 5-10% range) it probably will not be felt. Once you find it the first time you will have no problem duplicating it.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:44 PM
gaki

I started to experience this problem after switching from Mobil 5w30 to Mobil 0w40 Synthetic and filling up with 76 Gas so it has to be one or the other... I'm gonna fill up with Shell after this tank, and if it keeps acting up I'm going to drain the 0w40 and replace it with 10w30.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:58 AM
Mansmind

Can someone give me a theoretical explanation of how the type/brand of oil could affect/cause this issue? I just don't see it.

Fuel I could see possibly, although I've had the issue with different brands (BP,Shell,Chevron) all 93 octane.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:43 AM
jetnoirZ

Yup i have it too...07 with this problem. it "hiccups"after you let off the gas completly then u just barely tap it.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:10 PM
stylett9

happens after the car has been running for 4-5 minutes. the car will start to buck pretty bad under light throttle from 1700-2200 RPM's. I'd really love a solution because it's getting pretty annoying when i'm just trying to accelerate slow or idle forward and my car starts kicking..... I almost re-ended someone because of this problem.

Quick Reply: Sputtering During Warm-up