Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

whistling noise while cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:48 PM
BabyZiLLa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ErinFaulk
Just curious what the outcome was. I have been having the same exact issues, can't get into first or second when cold, as well as the loud whistle/squealing noise when starting the car.

It was so loud, I woke everyone up.
If its that loud you've got other problems.

And i've never heard it at idle before.. You have to be moving.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:56 AM
ErinFaulk

Originally Posted by BabyZiLLa
If its that loud you've got other problems.

And i've never heard it at idle before.. You have to be moving.
I was moving I was making a turn to get out and down the driveway
Old 12-20-2007, 08:14 AM
sloughdawg

well everyone take it to the dealer. new transmission for me, my dealer has overnight delivered a new tranny and will be putting it in today. Travis at Jim Keras Nissan in Memphis has been great, I am driving a 08 titan from enterprise rental cars until work is complete. Travis acknowledged the pilot bushing to be a factor in the noise among other things....only money I will be out is for replacing the clutch disc under his suggestion at $120 plus tax...damn this makes me happy...I was so worried that the dealer could not replicate the noise...Travis said he could hear it "whistle" from inside the shop while it was being driven...so my advice to everyone if you have the noise don't settle for it and take it in for replacement....it seems everyone is satisfied with Nissan having loud drivetrains
Old 12-20-2007, 08:59 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/238727-transmission-noise-when-z-is-cold.html

so it looks like they are still throwing tranny replacements at this. That is one of two reasons why I did NOT take my car in. The other is that the conditions need to be just right for them to hear it and I didn't want to hassle with that type of situation either. I don't want someone trying to put a new tranny in my car and I don't want all that replaced if the throwout bearing is just noisy. BTW, many times it seems to be coming from the rear end but it is very hard to tell. I guess someone will have to have a failure before we know what the real reason is or what the long term consequences are of this noise. It's frustrating how dealers do warranty work sometimes. I guess it's a good business decision to replace a major component that doesn't cost them much compared to the time wasted figuring it out or someone is hiding some information from the public!
Old 12-20-2007, 09:05 AM
JS04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^True. I already had my tranny replaced once before. The new tranny does it. Been dealing with it for about a year now. It only does it during the winter time anyways.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Beaker02

Mine went in last week for same thing. They replaced the flywheel. Couple days later its back. Dealer says bring it back after the holidays. Most likely Pilot bushing acording to Nisan Tech.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:44 PM
TAT_Z

SAME HERE....

the noise disappears after a few mins of driving.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:36 PM
stratonick

**FYI Everyone** I'm "double-posting" this, because there are 2 seperate threads regarding this, and i want to be sure ALL of my fellow "Z" drivers get a chance to read my results:

Guys, I had the exact some issue and i actually found this forum BECAUSE i was looking for someone to confirm what was going on...I have a '04 Enth. 350Z with 30K on it. I brought it to the dealer and they had it for a week trying to figure out what was wrong with it, (I live in NJ, so it's pretty cold here now) well they finally figured it out (hopefully)... they replaced the throwout bearing as well as the pilot bushing, and now all is well. no noise, and i've been driving it around in 34-45 Deg. weather for almost a week now.... i'd suggest getting those 2 parts replaced first, and see if you have the same success as i did.

NOW i do have one issue, ever since i got my car back from the dealership whenever i put the car into 1st OR reverse Gear and let the clutch out, there's a NOTICABLE "rough" spot right before the clutch fully engages.... my clutch NEVER had ANY issues before the dealership did their work to the bushing and bearing.... regardless of how many RPM's i gave it when going into 1st or reverse, it was always a smooth sync-up. Any idea what's causing this!? My guess is either the tech who "test-drove" it beat the heck outta the clutch, OR maybe an adjustment is needed after a new throwout bearing is installed?
ANY help on that little problem would be very much appreciated!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:24 PM
dixieland

How much did this end up costing you to replace just the throwout bearing and pilot bushing? It is very expensive i am outside of warrenty period and my nissan dealership does not play nice usually. Thanks
Old 02-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Beaker02

Update: Nissan replaced Pilot bushing, Flywheel, and transmission (On #3 now @ 74K). Noise is gone so far, been driving it around 2 weeks. Important to note, I did hear it at a VERY low volume as I test drove it two weeks ago after having the work done, but it has not returned. transmission #3 is a little notchy in a couple of gears (3/5), but runs much smoother than #2 ever did.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:16 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaker02
Update: Nissan replaced Pilot bushing, Flywheel, and transmission (On #3 now @ 74K). Noise is gone so far, been driving it around 2 weeks. Important to note, I did hear it at a VERY low volume as I test drove it two weeks ago after having the work done, but it has not returned. transmission #3 is a little notchy in a couple of gears (3/5), but runs much smoother than #2 ever did.
OMG!! I think I'll just keep my noise, thank you very much.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Road Warrior

well i have the same issue here in cali so only in the winter months do i hear the whistling noise. if this is a sign of tranny failure i would much rather take it in now while under warranty. i hate taking the car to the dealer but i don't want to have to pay for this later....drivetrain warranty expires this year...damn.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:20 AM
mmk

Default I have had the same problem. Tranny's being replaced tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
well i have the same issue here in cali so only in the winter months do i hear the whistling noise. if this is a sign of tranny failure i would much rather take it in now while under warranty. i hate taking the car to the dealer but i don't want to have to pay for this later....drivetrain warranty expires this year...damn.
on my 2006 Enthusiast MT. This will be my second tranny, to go along with my second engine thanks to the oil consumption issue. Meanwhile, I'm having them do oil consumption tests, because I am not convinced that my new engine is doing any better than my old one.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mmk
on my 2006 Enthusiast MT. This will be my second tranny, to go along with my second engine thanks to the oil consumption issue. Meanwhile, I'm having them do oil consumption tests, because I am not convinced that my new engine is doing any better than my old one.
that really sucks. was the whistling your tranny? i also am having oil consumption problems too on my 04 with less than 20k
Old 03-17-2008, 09:43 PM
wfgden

Default Resolution for My Z Whistle

I finally had a chance to leave my '04 Touring with the dealer for a week. They replaced the clutch release bearing and that got rid of the noise. All done under warranty. I have 33K on it.

While they had it apart it was discovered that the clutch was all messed up. Rather than wait for failure in a few more thousand miles, I purchased ($1,400 for a new clutch assembly!) a new clutch and the labor was free. The new flywheel made a noise that the tech didn't like and he ordered a replacement and reinstalled again. I've been driving it for a few days now with no noise.

Here's the thing that bothers me. From day one the only thing I didn't like about the car was the clutch. I know I hadn't driven a clutch regularly in over ten years, but I did have several manual Datsuns/Nissans over the years and never had a clutch like this one. I put 66K on my '76 280Z before the clutch failed.

Now... here's the kicker... the NEW clutch feels completely different from the original clutch! No, it's not that the old clutch was just wearing out. From day one that clutch seemed to slip more than anything else I've ever driven and made shifting a challenge. My wife wanted to know what happened to my old shifting! I'm now shifting smoothly without jerking her all over the passenger seat. Could I have had a bad clutch from the factory and just not realized it???

Glendale Nissan in So Cal are my heroes so far!
Old 03-19-2008, 06:16 AM
06MagneticZ

Glendale Nissan sucks *****! I would never, ever go there. Not even to buy license plate holder. Take it to Performance Nissan in Duarte or WCN.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:28 PM
wfgden

Default Whistling Fixed?

Okay, we now know that you obviously have had some bad experiences at Glendale Nissan, but I would like to know if you resolved your whistling noise, how it was resolved, and who resolved it.

Also, enlighten me. What and where is WCN? I'm always open to new and best.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:55 AM
maxpowers

Im surprised I didn't notice this thread earlier. I also have the transmission whine noise. It started in '05 and I had the whole transmission replaced because of it. It was OK in '06 and then in '07 it started again (but quieter).

I've learned to live with it.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Kaylinpg

Default Just wanted to chime in here

I have ahd this same problem, i am so thankful i did the research and found this thread i am taking the car in overnight sunday to be diagnosed on monday. I have an 07 coupe with 11,000 miles on it, however when i got it teh e-brake was gone adn teh rear bumper had been replaced and it made this noise. I can only deductively reason that the previous driver believed he was a star in 4 fast 4 furious: Magical drifting of all wheel drive cars. lol.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:10 PM
frizille

Originally Posted by Beaker02
Hey beaker - you get #3 on warranty? I'm having issues now on my second tranny (CD009, 10k miles) with the whine at all speeds, almost no gear synchro on shifting, and really, really bad clutch engagement. I can't believe I've used the clutch up in only 10k miles (got 90k miles out of my Celica clutch and 58k out of my first 350z clutch). I've got a Competition Clutch 6-puck and lightweight fly (14 lbs) - think the dealer will cover the #3 tranny under warranty (I say that tongue in cheek)...

friz

Quick Reply: whistling noise while cold