Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

whistling noise while cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 05:30 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You're welcome, really glad it's improved. If i'm remembering correctly, i think in time, it will completely go
Old 12-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Rev_Night

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It was gone the next day. Woot
Old 03-01-2015, 10:09 AM
Rev_Night

ok, so about a month later, the noise returned full force. Its been pretty cold here in the past few weeks (10s-20s regular) and I'm still having the same issues. Coincidentally, my friends BMW is having the same issue and those forums say its a belt issue. Could it be a belt issue with my Z?
Old 03-01-2015, 12:35 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Of course it could, at least what you're hearing now could be. If you have a belt adjusted on the edge of tolerance, it'll squeal more the colder it gets, i know this from experience.

Don't forget things like bearings on the pulleys too.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:06 PM
Rev_Night

how would i figure out if it is a belt or a pulley? What would I look for? How would I access them, take off the front bumper?

edit: These belts?
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...very-easy.html

Last edited by Rev_Night; 03-01-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:18 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Yes, those belts/pulleys.

I don't know how to check their tension to be correct myself, but i know others do and that you can ask a shop to check tension. You can start by looking to see if the belts need replacing.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:39 PM
Rev_Night

Word, and from the threads, my HR engine is easy as hell to do since there is only 1 belt and it auto-tensions. and i dont have to jack my car up praiseallah
Old 03-01-2015, 05:48 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Hmm yeah, forgot about the auto tension, erm, yes, check belt condition etc, tensioner might even be sticky.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:53 AM
bpc23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd appreciate any assistance the 350Z community can offer and I'm posting here because this is one of the longer Internet forum threads on the subject.

The whistling clutch problem seems to be affecting my Infiniti G37s with a 6MT. It happens when the car has been parked and allowed to cool to ambient temperatures from 29 - 54 degrees F, in my case. The whistling happens roughly every 4 - 6 days.
The whistling sounds like a boiling teapot and comes from the transmission area under the car. The whistling typically happens immediately after start-up, stops when the clutch pedal is depressed, and will return when the clutch pedal is released. The whistling, if it hasn't started on its own, can occasionally start when the throttle is blipped to about 3,500 rpm. The whistling stops after a minute or two, presumably coinciding with the transmission/clutch temperature increasing, however, I've heard the whistling after a 20 minute drive. I have heard the whistling while driving in lower gears, presumably because the ambient noise inside the car is lower.

Here's a
of the noise.

Is this the noise everyone is hearing? And is everyone having the same symptoms I described above? I would very much appreciate your feedback.

Last edited by bpc23; 03-11-2017 at 11:55 AM. Reason: my poor html skills.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:39 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bpc23
I'd appreciate any assistance the 350Z community can offer and I'm posting here because this is one of the longer Internet forum threads on the subject.

The whistling clutch problem seems to be affecting my Infiniti G37s with a 6MT. It happens when the car has been parked and allowed to cool to ambient temperatures from 29 - 54 degrees F, in my case. The whistling happens roughly every 4 - 6 days.
The whistling sounds like a boiling teapot and comes from the transmission area under the car. The whistling typically happens immediately after start-up, stops when the clutch pedal is depressed, and will return when the clutch pedal is released. The whistling, if it hasn't started on its own, can occasionally start when the throttle is blipped to about 3,500 rpm. The whistling stops after a minute or two, presumably coinciding with the transmission/clutch temperature increasing, however, I've heard the whistling after a 20 minute drive. I have heard the whistling while driving in lower gears, presumably because the ambient noise inside the car is lower.

Here's a video of the noise.

Is this the noise everyone is hearing? And is everyone having the same symptoms I described above? I would very much appreciate your feedback.
The cold weather whistling doesn't happen unless the drive train is moving. At least in my case and from what i remember reading of others.

Sounds like you could possibly have a throwout bearing noise. How many miles?
Old 03-12-2017, 08:01 AM
bpc23

Originally Posted by bjr
The cold weather whistling doesn't happen unless the drive train is moving. At least in my case and from what i remember reading of others.

Sounds like you could possibly have a throwout bearing noise. How many miles?
I've got 30,300 miles. Does/did your car have a problem with whistling? Is that the sound it made?
Old 03-12-2017, 10:03 AM
bjr

I've got 30,300 miles. Does/did your car have a problem with whistling? Is that the sound it made?
i have the whistling noise that others have. It does sound similar in pitch but none of your symptoms are the same. The whistling noise shows up when it's near freezing or as the car gets older about 40 degrees or below. Closest thing it sounds like is a tea pot starting to sound a little - which is a similar noise to yours but just is not enough the same or under any of the same circumstances. Mine never gets any worse or changes symptoms any (276,000 miles on mine now 2005 z 6mt). Mine never sounds at idle or out of gear revving it sittong still. It has to be driving and could be louder while letting off the throttle or coasting a little but it's pretty constant and goes away after 5 minutes of driving always. I can be going 40mph and start changing something to make it go away like try with the clutch in or out with it in gear or try putting it in neutral and coast both with the clutch in our out at 40 or try revving it in neutral at 40 and it just never goes away until warned up then it never comes back until cold for hours again. Many people think it could be the input shaft of the transmission which would be always moving.
Yours sounds similar to a throwout bearing worn. Is your car stock for the clutch system? Do you leave your foot on the clutch pedal a lot when driving? Do you keep the clutch pedal down when waiting for a light to change often?

I am going to bet that you never hear yours when driving around with your foot off of the clutch pedal at any time right?
Old 03-12-2017, 10:23 AM
bpc23

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't realize the whistling reported in this thread is mostly while the drivetrain is moving. I did see the video many posts above while the car is in motion and the noise sounded nearly identical to mine, which I would describe exactly as a boiling teapot.

I have heard mine while moving, but only in lower gears, presumably because the ambient noise in the car is lower. I'm the second owner of the car. All components are stock. I do not ride the clutch or keep the pedal down while stopped. Maybe related is that the transmission was replaced last year because it refused to shift into 1st or 2nd when cold.

It is easy to believe my problem is the throwout bearing. Is the throwout bearing a known problem in the 350/370 community? I'll research if both models use the same throwout bearing.

In what town do you live? I went to college in Fort Wayne and lived there until 2002. I've got inlaws in the Indy area. I owned a '93 300ZX at that time. Man, I miss that car.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:38 AM
bjr

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't realize the whistling reported in this thread is mostly while the drivetrain is moving. I did see the video many posts above while the car is in motion and the noise sounded nearly identical to mine, which I would describe exactly as a boiling teapot.

I have heard mine while moving, but only in lower gears, presumably because the ambient noise in the car is lower. I'm the second owner of the car. All components are stock. I do not ride the clutch or keep the pedal down while stopped. Maybe related is that the transmission was replaced last year because it refused to shift into 1st or 2nd when cold.

It is easy to believe my problem is the throwout bearing. Is the throwout bearing a known problem in the 350/370 community? I'll research if both models use the same throwout bearing.

In what town do you live? I went to college in Fort Wayne and lived there until 2002. I've got inlaws in the Indy area. I owned a '93 300ZX at that time. Man, I miss that car.
I'm no expert or mechanic and this is difficult to do over the internet but I'm confident you have a different problem than the normal whistle. It's probably clutch related and puzzling that it could be going out at 30k but who knows what happened during the transmission swap. So in your case you are not abusing the bearing everyday with bad driving habits. Good luck with your problem.
Im from SBend. I still think the 300s look cooler than 350/370 and wanted one since i was 14( 45 now) but they sound like a real pain to work on. Must have been a fun car to drive though! Did the turbos spool up quick or was there lag waiting for the car to accelerate hard?
Old 03-12-2017, 11:24 AM
bpc23

Originally Posted by bjr
I'm no expert or mechanic and this is difficult to do over the internet but I'm confident you have a different problem than the normal whistle. It's probably clutch related and puzzling that it could be going out at 30k but who knows what happened during the transmission swap. So in your case you are not abusing the bearing everyday with bad driving habits. Good luck with your problem.
Im from SBend. I still think the 300s look cooler than 350/370 and wanted one since i was 14( 45 now) but they sound like a real pain to work on. Must have been a fun car to drive though! Did the turbos spool up quick or was there lag waiting for the car to accelerate hard?
Thanks again for the feedback. I'll keep looking for information specific to the clutch.

Yes, mine had infinite turbo lag, as it was normally aspirated! I had to settle for a 2+2 5-speed (222hp) because my wife was pregnant when we bought it. I managed to keep the car as my daily driver for about twelve years. It was unstoppable in the snow while wearing winter tires. I did all the maintenance & repairs on it, which wasn't that much really, and it was easy to work on. Replacing the timing belt was easy and putting on the adjustable shocks wasn't difficult either.

I've got a buddy with a turbo model, with some mods to it and the lag isn't unreasonable. I helped him pull the engine and trans to replace a turbo. We were forced to work in his impossibly tiny single-car garage. A lot of work, but it was manageable. He says I sold my car at the perfect time because they seem to be struck with age related problems with things like injectors. If you're still considering buying one, twinturbo.net is the best place to get your info. We're both still impressed with the car's timeless design. It doesn't look out of place on the road today.