Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Mishimoto Universal Transmission Cooler install help

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 05:15 PM
Sw1fty

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mishimoto Universal Transmission Cooler install help

**UPDATE** - I hope this is right but essentially what it has come with would be if I was to run it from the line to the rad then through the cooler and back into the trans? but since the new koyo doesnt have any trans points to connect I will need to get another length of hose and connectors as like a rad delete. so line out to cooler and straight back in? top up the AT Fluid and away we go. Sorry overthink **** im not too familiar with.

Hey, as the title states. Looking to install.
I havent started it yet but i am unsure of how this works (OEM rad **** itself bought koyorad no AT cooler) they give you one hose some kind of connector and 4 clamps. Wouldn't I need 2 hose adapters to connect the hoses and run it like it was in the rad? Hot in cold out etc

I tried searching but can only find like oil cooler kits or ps stuff. Can anyone help me with this please?

Last edited by Sw1fty; 01-22-2024 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 04:35 AM
timeltel

Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts

Regards Sw1fty:
Not specifically what you're asking but something to consider:
The Frontier PU and the 350Z share transmission cooler design through 2009. There is a lower chamber in the radiator separated from engine coolant and dedicated to transmission cooling. AT transmission fluid works best within a specific range of temperature, engine coolant warms AT fluid on startup, then the transmission cooler serves to keep it within a specific range.

Here's the catch- The Frontier truck was notorious for antifreeze leaking into the transmission cooler resulting in contamination of the AT fluid and the destruction of the automatic tranny, a condition commonly referred to as "Pink Milkshake" (search this forum). In 2009 (IIRC) both the Frontier and Z cars' radiator were redesigned.

That being the condition, a suggestion would be to clamp a short length of hose to the lower radiator fittings, plug them and block off the integrated radiator OEM transmission cooler. Extend your hoses and route AT coolant lines directly to the Mishimoto unit. The auxiliary cooler simply straps to the front of the radiator. Not familiar with the Mishimoto cooler but it will probably be marked "in" and "out" (or some such). How you determine which is which from the tranny is up to you. Good luck and,

Peace

(Edit to add): https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...-question.html

Last edited by timeltel; 01-23-2024 at 05:05 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 07:09 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

You run it through the radiator first then to the aftermarket radiator

Last edited by iideadeyeii; 01-23-2024 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:54 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
You run it through the radiator first then to the aftermarket radiator
Originally Posted by timeltel
Regards Sw1fty:

That being the condition, a suggestion would be to clamp a short length of hose to the lower radiator fittings, plug them and block off the integrated radiator OEM transmission cooler. Extend your hoses and route AT coolant lines directly to the Mishimoto unit. The auxiliary cooler simply straps to the front of the radiator. Not familiar with the Mishimoto cooler but it will probably be marked "in" and "out" (or some such). How you determine which is which from the tranny is up to you. Good luck

(Edit to add): https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...-question.html
So, these are both great/correct suggestions. However, OP stated that the Koyo replacement radiator has no A/T cooler built in, just engine cooling. That means first suggestion to install the new ATF cooler after "pre-cooling" in radiator is not possible and second suggestion to block off the "lower radiator fittings" is not applicable.

This leaves the OP with only one option: Install the new cooler at the front of the radiator and/or AC condensor - making sure you leave space between the new cooler and rad - then plumbing the in/out lines into the new cooler using rubber hosing capable of handling the heat (if you have to go out and buy some.) All while making sure direction of fluid travel is correct IF the new cooler has a designated INBOUND (hot fluid in) and OUTBOUND (cooled fluid out). I don't think it matters though because it's just a finned cooling tube with no internal valving on it (that I'm aware of.... if there is then mind the fluid direction).

While it probably doesn't matter, I would install the inlet line at the top/higher inlet of the cooler to allow gravity to aid the flow; although the pump pressure should be adequate to move the fluiid in an upward direction. (But any little bit of help taking the load off the pump can't hurt.)

My main issue with installing this particular cooler by itself is whether or not it will provide adequate cooling in "standalone" mode. Keep in mind though, this method of installing the cooler changes the mode of cooling from conduction (cooling pipe in direct contact with cooling fluid) to convection (the cooler mounted in the airflow only) so it may actually be more efficient; but I've forgotten much of my physics. <Laff> Hopefully this is the case here.

I've done a couple of trans cooler installs on my old drag cars but that was in conjunction with radiator cooled ATF so not sure if this method is better or worse. If my physics is correct, hope its found to be adequate and not an auxiliary cooler only.
The following users liked this post:
timeltel (01-24-2024)