Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

HELP!! Car wont start but everything else turns on

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 05:22 AM
mikeSSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Car wont start but everything else turns on

My car won't start up! Its not the battery because everything turns on (radio, lights, windshield wipers). What could it be?! Last night everything seemed to be fine when I went to get gas but when I woke up right now this happened :[ I installed my exhaust a couple weeks ago but it has been running fine. Could the new exhaust probably done something??!? Please help!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:37 AM
2007 Z

Originally Posted by mikeSSD
My car won't start up! Its not the battery because everything turns on (radio, lights, windshield wipers). What could it be?! Last night everything seemed to be fine when I went to get gas but when I woke up right now this happened :[ I installed my exhaust a couple weeks ago but it has been running fine. Could the new exhaust probably done something??!? Please help!
It could be something with the Nissan Immobilizer System. Call the dealership.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:07 AM
lilpud

or it still could be the battery because my was running just fine no problems what so ever and then the next morning my battery killed it's self and nothing was left on....everything still turned on in my car wipers worked window but the battery would even turn the motor. bought a new one boom worked just fine again
Old 02-07-2008, 06:12 AM
2007 Z

Originally Posted by lilpud
or it still could be the battery because my was running just fine no problems what so ever and then the next morning my battery killed it's self and nothing was left on....everything still turned on in my car wipers worked window but the battery would even turn the motor. bought a new one boom worked just fine again
So turn the key to the run position, check the voltage on the gauge... Also, does the engine even try to crank? The immobilizer system will cause the starter to not even move.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:44 AM
rockinbboy

Originally Posted by 2007-Z
So turn the key to the run position, check the voltage on the gauge... Also, does the engine even try to crank? The immobilizer system will cause the starter to not even move.
+1 on the voltage gauge

It should say 14 volts I believe
Old 02-07-2008, 06:48 AM
SniperHunter

A lot of times, if it's making a ticking noise, it's the battery. Give it a jump - couldn't hurt.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:29 AM
iknowitsfast

man, everyone and battery issues. I started my car this morning and it started fine, however the battery light came on. Volts look fine and all. But the light is still on. Weird...I think i'll go buy a new battery and see if that fixes it.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Tim@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

If a bad key is used the engine will still turn but the vehicle will not start. Sounds like a battery problem. The voltage gauge will not tell you anything about the battery. Do this....sit in the car and put the window down. start to move the window up and turn the key to try and start the car. If the window slows down significantly then you need a battery.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:42 AM
iknowitsfast

Originally Posted by Tim@Performance
If a bad key is used the engine will still turn but the vehicle will not start. Sounds like a battery problem. The voltage gauge will not tell you anything about the battery. Do this....sit in the car and put the window down. start to move the window up and turn the key to try and start the car. If the window slows down significantly then you need a battery.
But what if the Battery light is actually ON? Does this automatically mean you need to replace the battery Tim? Thanx
Old 02-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Tim@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

No. The battery light being on while the vehicle is running could mean possibly a battery or alternator. More than likley an alternator.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:42 PM
addrock

Originally Posted by mikeSSD
If its not the battery or a bad key. DID YOU INSTALL A U-TEC ? cause i had this same problem with my Z but only after the U-Tec was install because the stock ECU and the U-Tec piggy back on each other it was just a lose connection.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:50 PM
fugitiveZ

so is it a no start no crank or does the vehicle crank over?
Old 02-07-2008, 01:11 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
A lot of times, if it's making a ticking noise, it's the battery. Give it a jump - couldn't hurt.
+1 the accessories don't take much of a charge, unlike cranking the Z
Old 02-07-2008, 02:35 PM
mikeSSD

Originally Posted by fugitiveZ
so is it a no start no crank or does the vehicle crank over?
the vehicle has no crank....i tried jump startin it right now and no luck :/
Old 02-07-2008, 02:52 PM
jbashant

If you're sure you have battery voltage, and your car will NOT crank, you likely have a starter issue. I'm new enough to these cars that I don't have any knowledge about this immobilizer system people have been talking about. If you have a voltmeter handy, put the positive lead on the cable going to your starer from your battery, and the black lead on the frame or wherever you can get a decent ground. You then need someone to attempt to start the car. You should get battery voltage (around 12v depending on battery condition) while they are turning the key. If you do get voltage, likely your starter is the culprit. No or low voltage would point to your battery, but really could be a number of things from bad connections to a relay, or maybe even a bad clutch-engaged switch if ur MT.
If you're not mechanically inclined, get a buddy or just bite the bullet and call a shop.
I really doubt the exhaust work caused anything btw.
Oh and if you are MT, try push starting it.

Last edited by jbashant; 02-07-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:58 PM
mikeSSD

tow guy just took my car to the dealership..ill let ya know what was the cause...im guessing its the starter or fuel pump
Old 02-07-2008, 04:33 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't catch if the actual engine turns over- if not, could be the clutch pedal sensor not depressing. The car won't crank period if that sensor gives a problem.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:55 PM
hpipro4

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
I didn't catch if the actual engine turns over- if not, could be the clutch pedal sensor not depressing. The car won't crank period if that sensor gives a problem.
thats a possibility.....also you should have check if you were getting any voltage at the starter motor.....but then its too late...
Old 02-08-2008, 11:12 PM
g35guam

do you know if this starting problem would be the same as a g35 coupe.

my car can't start too. battery is well charged it will crank up the motor but it wont start. also when i put the ignition on the "on" position my radiator fan goes on and my slip indicator light goes on as well, but the CEL light does not light up. anyone know what the problem could be?
Old 02-09-2008, 05:56 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just because all your Secondary voltage requirements are working dosent mean the Battery has the ability to operate the Primaries. ALWAYS start from point "A" and dont assume ANYTHING.

Check the battery to see if it is 100%, Check and clean your Terminals, Follow the path of the Primary circuitry and verify full voltage to the destination.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Car wont start but everything else turns on