Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Squeaky Clutch on pedal depress - sounds from under the car

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 03:45 PM
alyloveseric85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaky clutch

can i get the link on how to fix the problem???
Old 10-25-2013, 06:53 PM
Neeko94

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to revive the dead thread.
but anyone know if a new clutch slave will fix this issue?
Old 06-07-2014, 11:15 AM
HiNcH350z

Just to add my two cents in. I also have the same problem. I tried the anti seize aerosol first, no luck with that after pumping the clutch pedal a few times. Then I noticed someone mentioning a copper based hi temp grease that will fix this problem. I bought some VersaChem Anti Seize Thread lubricant Type 13 Copper at O'Reilly Auto parts for $7. Using the brush that it came with, I lathered up the whole joint. Put everything back to together and bingo. No creaking noise at all, even on the first release of the clutch.

I also want to add that my discrepancy what that the creaking noise only occurred when I was releasing the pedal somewhat slow. Plus I took the slave cylinder off so I could move the pivot bar around to get a better application of the lubricant. Its only two 12mm bolts.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:48 PM
myfirstzcar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's pretty much what I accomplished with some aerosol copper anti-seize on the clutch fork pivot ball. I snuck the straw in through the rubber grommet and sprayed liberally. Then I used some high temp spray lithium and aimed it toward the input shaft where the TOB slides back and forth. I did it over 10,000 miles ago and the 'ol clutch still feels new.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Razik011

Originally Posted by SlipZ
i have this inside cabin noise clutch release clicking noise issue a while back. I found out that the metal hinges on the release spring (clutch pedal) is the one making noise. I went and got copper based grease. Put some grease on the area. No noise issue for 1 yr already...

here is the pic

Attachment 317043

Its hard to get in under the clutch pedal..you have to have a flashlight to see under there...

hope this helps some guys out....if not most of us!!
Thanks for this pic, I think this is the same issue I recently ran into, I'm not hearing any sounds from under the car just from the pedal itself. I hear a squeak/creak when its fully pushed down and I can feel it a bit too.

First post btw, been trolling here for a while after I recently got my '05 Track model. Everyone has been very helpful from everything I have read.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:08 PM
carnoob

Fix confirmed to work. The rubber boot is a bit hard to find. it's between the front and center of car, near the driver side but close to the center in terms of left and right side of car. I went under the car just behind the left front wheel to find it. You will need to jack up high because you will be under your car up to your waist. Thanks for the solution!
Old 08-19-2016, 02:31 PM
Irontimmy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't find the kopr-kote in a spray so I ordered "permatex anti-seize lubricant" item #81464 (133MA) because the description on amazon states it has copper in it BUT the bottle itself doesn't. Was considering returning it since I found kopr kote online when you type in aerosol. What do you guys think

EDIT:just going to order the other one

Last edited by Irontimmy; 08-19-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:27 PM
yomike007

Just had the same problem and fixed it by lubing up the clutch fork pivot ball. On clutch pedal depress (especially if i was depressing it slowly) it would make a bad squeaking noise. Happened sometimes on release, but mine was worse on depress. Solution was to lube the clutch fork pivot ball with lithium grease. Jack the front end of the car up and find the transmission housing. You are looking for this thing right here about 1/3 from the front end of the car on the drivers side. Pull back the black gasket on the right from the transmission housing. You can pull it all the way down the pivot fork by jaming a flathead screwdriver in there and working it out, which makes looking into the transmission so much easier. Once the black boot is pulled down look into the transmission with a flashlight. You need to looking on the cars rear-end side of the pivot fork and simply hit the first thing the fork makes contact with with grease. Dont spray anything towards the front end of the car where the clutch plate is as that would be bad. I used white lithium WD-40 which came in one of those cans with a straw nozzle. Made it so much easier. Hit it pretty good and pump the clutch and hit it again with more grease. Mine took about an hour to soak in and make the noise go away. My clutch feels brand new, i didn't realize before how physically harder pushing in the clutch was until i lubed up the pivot ball.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:05 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine just started doing this. I will make a quick video showing the grease point and noise. Picking up the copper high temp grease and some parts cleaner to blow some of the gunk off the pivot ball.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:37 PM
350z_Lam

Originally Posted by iknowitsfast
I havent been on my350z for almost three years and i come on here and its amazing how many people have this same issue. Mine not only squeaks but when I first start the car in the morning i get a very loud grinding noise when I press the clutch pedal in. It goes away after the car is warmed up. Plus my RPM jump funny before catching the gear while driving. Im thinking its time for a new clutch. ugh
Did you ever end up replacing your clutch? If so did it make the squeak go away? I'm having the same issues with mine as well. Not only does it squeak but I noticed the pedal is much stiffer than before and also I can't feel where it engages anymore.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:50 AM
Spec_Tacular

Originally Posted by tquill
Ok, I finally fixed it. It's amazing what it's like to have a squeak free clutch!

Ok, so using the Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant (has to be the SPRAY) I bought off Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new), I lubricated the joint live2themaxuk had described. I was kind of disappointed at first b/c it definitely decreased the squeak A LOT, but it was still there a little bit. But I had to run an errand in the Z shortly after trying to fix it... and afterwards, the squeak was completely gone. I guess it needed a bit of time to work itself in. I don't feel it in the peddle at all either. It's great.

Here the location of the problem. Behind the rubber boot (which is boxed in red) is where the joint is.

Attachment 420723

Follow the long bar the goes through the rubber boot and you'll see the joint (approximate location circled in red). It's really hard to see it back there but it's about 4 or so inches back... it's behind that little bar/wire thing shown in the picture below.

Attachment 420724

Spray that joint with the lube a few times and pump the clutch a little to let it work in. If it was anything like mine, it might take a couple of hours for the squeak to fully go away.

This lubricant should last but live2themaxuk said his lithium grease burnt off after about a week. I'll update everyone if that happens, but I don't think it will with the Permatex grease.

Also don't spray around like crazy in there.... just spray the joint!

Good luck!
This is 100% the fix for this issue. Best to use Wurth HHS 2000 adhesive spray lubricant. Many dealerships will have this as shop supply but you could buy it from their parts department.