Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tires Mounted Improperly

Old 05-24-2008, 10:49 AM
dtoma_esq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires Mounted Improperly

I would really appreciate if someone could give me some insight on tire wear, alignment and handling issues if the following new tires are improperly mounted as follows:

I bought four (4) new Yokohama S-Drive tires:
(2) 225/50R17 for the front wheels (sized 17x7.5)
(2) 235/50R17 for the rear wheels (sized 17x8.0)

Instead of mounting the tires as intended above, the service department mounted the 225 tires in the rear and the 235 tires in the front. So the wider tires are mounted in the front, rather than the rear of the vehicle. Note that the wheels are where they are supposed to be. The tires were just mounted on the wrong wheels. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the screw-up until I got home and started cleaning the car. I would have went back but the service department is now closed for the long Memorial Day weekend.

I will not be able to bring the car back to the service department until at least Thursday morning (so that's at least 5 days of driving on the new tires - let's say approx. 30 miles a day). So here are my concerns:

1. Premature/noticeable tire wear for that short period of time? Since the tires in the front turn and the ones in the back don't, I'm concerned that there might be a particular wear pattern to the 235 tires (currently mounted in the front) that will be undesirable when they are remounted correctly in the rear (specifically concerned with handling).

2. Compromised steering response and/or handling due to having wider tires in the front? Potential understeer/oversteer issues? I like to take my curves tight and hard, but I'm thinking I should drive like grandma for the next few days to play it safe.

3. Is it safe to assume I will need to rebalance and realign the tires once they are swapped and mounted properly? I'm thinking this is justified since the wheels in the front and back are slightly different in weight and size. At the very least I think rebalancing is in order.

I would appreciate thoughts on this matter, especially if you're knowledgeable in the area. However, all comments are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:14 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

1. Unless you are going on a trip of a significant distance (500+ miles), wear shouldn't be a problem. If they keep the tires on the same side of the car, then wear patterns won't come into play.

2. For normal driving, it shouldn't be noticable.

3. When they swap tires, yes a rebalance would be in order.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:16 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

See other thread on this....

https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/361656-tires-mounted-improperly.html