Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

please help...losing patience

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:38 PM
cracka350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help...losing patience

I have no idea what is wrong with my car...when i start it up in the morning and drive (for the first little while) it drives great!! strong as hell. then once it warms up and i stop at lights, or turn it off and go to teh gas station or something, it has no power in any of the gears. i actually have to feather the throttle alot to even get it moving. like i said...no clue what it is in the slightest....any help is appreicated because im fixing to just get rid of this damn car lol. ive had every problem associated with the 03 z. burning oil, tranny (x2), feathering, clicking axles, and both window motors at the same damn time (they stopped in the down position at the same time) i really need to at least get an idea what it could be so i can start trying to fix this POS lol.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:02 PM
whiskeycheeks

same thing is happening to mine, check the throttle body positioning sensor 02 sensors and try to reset ecu by taking the negative post off I am replacing my 02 sensor tomorrow (throwing a code) and the tech will look at it further I will let you know when I fix it! It sounds like "limp mode" my cruise control messed up one day then studdering and rpms slowed to half the speed.

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...limp-mode.html

Sound like the same thing happening in my link?
Old 08-21-2008, 08:36 AM
cracka350z

i can still drive fine. ive had limp mode before...that just feels nasty lol.

i still can get all the way to redline it just feels like half the power. and it feels great for the first little bit. then it feels like limp mode but with normal operation....dont really know how to explain.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:54 PM
cracka350z

really....no one?
Old 08-22-2008, 04:17 PM
marco_mendoza

I've had all the other problems. But not this one....yet.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:40 PM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds newbish, but problems you are having are probably air related. Check your intake for leaks or a faulty filter possibly clogging air flow. (universal adapter air filters from autozone do this) As far as the windows.. well your ****ed there lol
Old 08-22-2008, 09:25 PM
whiskeycheeks

yea about half the power for me too i think there is a tsb for maf to be changed
Old 08-23-2008, 09:39 AM
cracka350z

Originally Posted by HondaKiller
sounds newbish, but problems you are having are probably air related. Check your intake for leaks or a faulty filter possibly clogging air flow. (universal adapter air filters from autozone do this) As far as the windows.. well your ****ed there lol
what you mean by newbish? im just lost on the problem...filter is fine cleaned it and checked hoses...(its a JWT pc). that was the first thing i checked lol. had an idea that it might be the cats, cuz it only happened after the car warmed up..ill have to check on that maf TSB...
Old 08-25-2008, 12:12 PM
_Donovan_

o2 Sensors?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:00 PM
cracka350z

Originally Posted by _Donovan_
o2 Sensors?
i wish...they are brand new and i have no codes.

if my damn car would just throw a CEL at least i would have something to work off of lol.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:30 AM
AlexDPR

Sounds like the camshaft positioning sensors is bad, there are two of them. When they go bad, you car will hasitate to start, stall randomely and go into safe mode where you lose power. Usually its the bank 1 sensor. Try replacing it, it goes for about $65. When you replace it, make sure to clean the harness so that to make sure there is no oil in it. There was a recall on these sensors by nissan but only some cars where notified about it. This might come up under error code P0340.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:12 PM
cracka350z

Originally Posted by AlexDPR
Sounds like the camshaft positioning sensors is bad, there are two of them. When they go bad, you car will hasitate to start, stall randomely and go into safe mode where you lose power. Usually its the bank 1 sensor. Try replacing it, it goes for about $65. When you replace it, make sure to clean the harness so that to make sure there is no oil in it. There was a recall on these sensors by nissan but only some cars where notified about it. This might come up under error code P0340.

like i said before...i wish it would throw a code so i would have something to work with. there is no stalling really...sometimes close and its never gone into limp mode (not sure if thast teh same as "safe" mode) i swear...after the warmup it feels like im driving a 5000 lb car with a 4 cyl in it...
Old 05-30-2010, 09:05 AM
PowerExcel

Its recommended to change the Camshaft position sensors at 70,000 miles anyway. My cam sensor went bad with 77,000, on the car. Alex is correct usually the bank 1 sensor goes bad first p0340, and is cheap/easy to fix. I was having the same issue, with no code for the camshaft sensor for months. Then finally, one day it got bad enough (started stalling)to throw the code.. Mine went bad after I changed my 02 sensors, and knock sensor, and those two codes had shown up right away, unlike the p0340. I am almost 100% sure your facing the same issue.. They are very easy to replace, good luck..
Old 06-25-2010, 03:14 AM
Synjn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ummm call me crazy but, "feathering the throttle? redline with half the power? works fine at first when its cold?" Clutch anyone?! And you're not going to get a code.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Brett@AwesomeZ
Vendor - Former Vendor

If the clutch is going out it's pretty hard to mistake. OP, is it a 6 speed or auto? Does the tach wrap out faster than usual without the car picking up a good amount of speed?

A clutch has to be pretty far gone to just start letting go like that. Besides, if he's gone through 2 transmissions he's prolly had the clutch done at least once.

I've changed a couple Cam position sensors and they usually throw codes.