Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Buzzing dash rattle...want to fix...help

Old 08-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Superfly84zx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzing dash rattle...want to fix...help

Just started to hear a metalic buzzing sound coming from the passenger dash up near the windshield. Its inside the dash I'm sure because if i tap on the dash and under part i hear the vibration buzzing sound. Its getting louder and its pretty annoying. Hear it on rough streets low speed.

Anyone know what inside it might be...sounds like a heat shield loose on an exhaust but i know its not...its inside the dash for sure. And any advise for taking the dash apart myself? Its a 2007.

Thanks for any help...I have the manual downloaded but the pictures are small and not a lot of detailed info in it...would like to talk to someone who has removed these panels before.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:02 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have this in both of my Zs. It's annoying at times since the interior of the roadster is so quiet and this sound messes everything up. I was thinking of taking off the plastics. It definately is a metal to metal sound.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Superfly84zx

exactly - metal on metal...I'm thinking some duct work inside under the main passenger dash part. the dash sounds like a drum and is hollow when i tap on it...just worried about trying to get into it without destroying it LOL...I hate all plastic clips with a passion...Anyone tear into this part of the car yet?
Old 08-28-2008, 08:32 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Moved...
Old 09-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Superfly84zx

I fixed my buzzing rattle under the passenger side airbag cover...I took off the bottom panel under the passenger side and from that opening you get a perfect view of this metal bracket that doesnt seem to be doing anything except to make noise LOL...I'm sure its for structure but regardless it was making some vibration rattle so i looked around and found a couple things that looked like they might be making a rattle so I taped them up and used some foam padding to stop any rubbing and now its all good and quiet.

I was very nervous about removing the panels but they came off pretty easy. I started at the door sill and the lower side panel and then moved to the passenger under panel. once you see how the clips work its easy...they pop out quite nice but I was worried I was going to break something. Remove the two 10mm bolts and you're in. I downloaded the manual from the net and there is a good instrument panel diagram with all the parts and bolts shown...SO GLAD I FOUND THAT NOISE IT WAS DRIVING ME MENTAL!!!!

Any questions about removal you can email me...superflytnt69@hotmail.com

Good luck David Mandl
Old 09-12-2008, 02:19 PM
vnarang

Yeah I've been having the same problem. It is really annoying.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Kung Fu Sifu

Since u guys r talkin about instruction manuals, Where can I find out how to take my dash and center piece off! Basically how to disasemble my interior to install like new shift **** or guage faces?
Old 09-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Superfly84zx

Originally Posted by Kung Fu Sifu
Since u guys r talkin about instruction manuals, Where can I find out how to take my dash and center piece off! Basically how to disasemble my interior to install like new shift **** or guage faces?
QUOTE=vnarang]Hey,

My dash is giving me the same problems from the driver side AND passenger side. If you could please give me a guide, or tutorial on how to remove the dash and fix the problem, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

hello, I got my manual for my car online at 350z - tech .com/zwiki/Category:Service

If you look at the instrument panel section you will see a blown up diagram with all the little clips and metal tabs and bolts screws etc shown. To get at the passenger section the book said you needed to take like 25 things apart in order but I started at the passenger side door sill and removed the small kick plate at the bottom first and then the two bolts that hold that lower panel of the dash. the lower panel comes straight out with small clips holding it on...its tough to describe but not hard once you look at the diagram and take you time with a flashlight and look carefully to see how it all is held together. Dont pry too hard and you wont break anything. I went slow and it was pretty easy...As for the drivers side I've never even looked at it...

Last edited by Superfly84zx; 09-18-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:08 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just remove the dash panel on the bottom see the metal brackets and shove a t-shirt or something in there to create enough pressure. My rattles are gone now thank god!
Old 11-11-2008, 11:49 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For those who haven't fixed theirs yet...I made a DIY with pics. So glad I got this taken care of:

https://my350z.com/forum/body-interi...le-squeak.html
Old 12-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Steve-O Z33

Is this an RPM specific rattle or constant? I have had a rattle just before 3k and can't tell where it's coming from. It sounds like the rear of the car to me, though. Can't quite pinpoint it.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:13 PM
skylark

Talking

this might be an old thread, just refreshing with a quick update...

i managed to figure out the rattle from all areas:

-the rattle under the pass side foot area is comming from the lower kick pannel

-the rattle from the pass side windshield

-the rattle in the back trunk area

what i did was dynamat the pass kick pannel so there's no metal to metal rattle.

second, the windshield i dynamat the a-pillars inside behind the pannel on both drivers and passangers.

last but not least, dynamat the rear strut bar, and far back side of the trunk where the trunk latch sits.

i DID just put in my injen ses exhaust setup and it made all the rattle areas louder before the dynamat took place.

i hope this info works instead of shoving foam inbtwn the dash and windshield, or anywhere else in general.

it did wonders for me, hope it helps anyone else out who's having probs.

it's the a-pillars thats rattling, not the center console.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:26 AM
JackMcNASTY

I have the most annoying rattle ever coming from the center of the dash. I cannot find where it is coming from and it is making me mental. As soon as I have the time I am taking the entire dash apart and spray foaming the whole damn thing.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:47 PM
carnoob

Did that work? I took mine apart but couldnt fix it. seems like it is the volt meter or near it.