Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

I turn off the car and my windows roll down...wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:43 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do a searchy. Window motor reset may help.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:23 PM
nismo99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BRONZEE tried the reset and still did it so i taking it to nissan an they told me it was in my viper alarm system disconnected still did it hahaha so i was stumped after that come to find out when i took it back to nissan after everything i tried, window reset alarm and everything i could think of... someone tried breaking and broke the switch to the window where it comes down that little bit when opening the door ha
Old 05-27-2013, 12:08 PM
RawrXTC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you post that you got it figured out and not come back to tell anyone what was wrong? What's messed up is OP came asking for help in the first place and now others need it and OP disappears. That's awesome.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:48 PM
mattleegee

mine rolls down as im walking away from my Z, just a quarter of the way
sometimes i have to open and close my door a few times to get it to stay up
Old 05-27-2013, 02:02 PM
mattleegee

i guess this is my problem
Old 09-26-2016, 01:29 PM
Ragabash

Ok, so I know this post has long been dead but I am bringing it back because I had/have this issue and found a way to turn it off for right now till i can put more time into figuring out why it is happening. So for all of you having this issue here is the quick fix.

Remove your driver side handle, 2 bolts behind the black grommets on the door. And disconnect the little plastic relay over your key cylinder. I used a tiny screw driver and just lifted the top one and it came off super easy. That is it. The problem will stop. When you have more time you will need to find out why your key/window opener option is going nuts on its own. I haven't had the time to completely open my door panel and see if there is a wire grounded yet but at least till you get to that point you can roll up your windows and turn off your car and actually get out. I really don't care about the putting key in door and windows roll down option or the holding the button to roll down my windows. But if you do you will need to fix it because removing the relay from the key cylinder turns it off from what i can tell. If you get stuck like I did in a parking lot and need to still go in because you can't just up and leave, then remove the screw in the switch panel of your driver door, pop it off, turn on your car, roll up your windows and pull the plug to your window switches. This will also stop it till you can get somewhere with more tools and open your handle. I hope this helps others!

Just to let you know I had the original problem listed in this post.
I would roll up my windows
Turn off car
Open door
and both windows would roll down without having any control from the switches.

I have had pretty much every window issue there is, so a quick guide for everyone.

If you roll your window up and it gets to the top and rolls back down 1/4, or 1/2 way you need to do a window motor reset.
If you open your door get out and the window just keeps going down a little bit and not going back up when it is closed, you need to do a reset on the door procedure for when the windows drops for it opening and it goes back up when closed.
If you can't roll up your window (up or down) or it will only work sometimes then you need to change your window motor.

This is all based off personal experience and me fixing my own Z. So I hope it helps others.

Last edited by Ragabash; 09-26-2016 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Adding information
The following users liked this post:
DARKNIGHTSGIRL (09-26-2016)
Old 11-11-2018, 02:11 PM
JnBZ

Stumbled on this and the disappearance of 3 FILTHY Z. He never figured it out and paid for the fix.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:14 PM
3thanfisher777

Ok, I figured it out for me at least, the problem: I was having the same problem I believe you guys are having, when you take out the key the windows roll all the way down when you open the door. Fix: 1. Take off the driver side door panel 2. Take off the panel shown and if you need the know how look up a video on how to replace the window motors to get the panel open 3. Ounce you get into the door, you will see a red plug (this is the plug to the switch in the back of the lock that lets you roll up the windows when the car is off) just unplug the switch, or you can replace it if you wanna save the feature but if you don’t need it just unplug it 4. With the switch unplugged turn on the car and roll up the windows and then take the key out and open the door. This should have fixed the problem. If you have any questions HMU on insta @3thanfisher777 and please share to anyone you know having this problem.

I said in the panel shown but my video didn’t post so, the panel I’m talking about is the metal panel that allows you access to the window motor.

Last edited by 3thanfisher777; 01-26-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Spike100 (01-27-2020)
Old 03-12-2021, 08:20 AM
Dwight wooley

Originally Posted by 3_FILTHY_Z
Ya, so I can't take my car anywhere if I expect to park it anywhere. As soon as I turn off my car, my windows rolls down at the same time and I can't roll them up using the key in the door or from the inside. Now, if I turn off the car, watch the windows roll down, then turn the key clockwise again, the windows will stop rolling down, turn the key counter clockwise again and they continue down. Now, I have disconnected my battery to try to reset a CEL code from a stupid sticking T-Stat which I'm going to replace with a NISMO version. Now, my windows have learned to go up and down at the top and bottom of each switch. If fact, they never forgot.

Could my regulator motors be going out at the same time? Just seems way to weird to go out at the same time.

I've read that you could take off the panels to push a button on the motors to reset them, but that's gonna blow, I have a warranty, I need to use it. Plus, I want them to make sure that this T-Stat didn't cause any other issues.

Here's what happens:
- In the car, car is running, windows are up
- Turn the car off, open the door, windows roll down
- Can not control the window as all
- Can only stop the window from rolling down by reinserting the key into the ignition again, but once pulled it rolls all the way down into the door
i hve the answer to the windows rolling down themselves .on the drvrs side connected to the lock cyl inside the door is a sensor tht rides on the end of the lock cyl .mine had broke off while in the window down position. The center of the sensor turns on the lock cyl to mk ur windows go up or down using the key .i just turned the centr wth a screwdrver and since i dont nd to roll my windows wth a key i put a drop of hot glue to kp the center frm turning and let it hang inside the door soon as i turnd on the ign the window rolled itself up and hasnt done tht agn .
Old 03-12-2021, 02:27 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwight wooley
i hve the answer to the windows rolling down themselves .on the drvrs side connected to the lock cyl inside the door is a sensor tht rides on the end of the lock cyl .mine had broke off while in the window down position. The center of the sensor turns on the lock cyl to mk ur windows go up or down using the key .i just turned the centr wth a screwdrver and since i dont nd to roll my windows wth a key i put a drop of hot glue to kp the center frm turning and let it hang inside the door soon as i turnd on the ign the window rolled itself up and hasnt done tht agn .
11.5 year old thread.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:37 PM
enjoi_182

Default Figured it out!

So when you remove your door handle there’s a little red circle thing connected to it which turns when you stick the key in and want to roll the windows down through the key lock so I just made sure the line in there was vertical and not horizontal and it fixed it just stuck my key into it and turned it
Old 04-06-2021, 12:43 PM
oldfreakingguy

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

So trav- does it make you feel somehow superior by mentioning that it is a 11.5 yr thread? We all see that. Why would it matter if this guy adds to the knowledge re: this car, & maybe helping someone else- out.
Come on.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:00 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

I am just stating that many of the members that questions are directed at haven't logged in for years

Last edited by travlee; 04-07-2021 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:54 PM
InfinitiG35russ

Ya, so I can't take my car anywhere if I expect to park it anywhere. As soon as I turn off my car, my windows rolls down at the same time and I can't roll them up using the key in the door or from the inside. Now, if I turn off the car, watch the windows roll down, then turn the key clockwise again, the windows will stop rolling down, turn the key counter clockwise again and they continue down. Now, I have disconnected my battery to try to reset a CEL code from a stupid sticking T-Stat which I'm going to replace with a NISMO version. Now, my windows have learned to go up and down at the top and bottom of each switch. If fact, they never forgot.

Could my regulator motors be going out at the same time? Just seems way to weird to go out at the same time.

I've read that you could take off the panels to push a button on the motors to reset them, but that's gonna blow, I have a warranty, I need to use it. Plus, I want them to make sure that this T-Stat didn't cause any other issues.

Here's what happens:
- Can only stop the window from rolling down by reinserting the key into the ignition again, but once pulled it rolls all the way down into the door
I'll show you the problem turn that little thing inside so it lines up straight up and down

This usually falls out like mine did and can be found somewhere inside door guys usually when your fort gets slammed it'll turn it side ways or trigger it I couldn't find what it's called but I leave it in a accessible spot so I can get to it without taking everything apart

Last edited by InfinitiG35russ; 06-09-2021 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Better picture
Daniel0928 (01-08-2024)
Old 09-24-2021, 03:55 PM
kerry

Originally Posted by 3thanfisher777
Ok, I figured it out for me at least, the problem: I was having the same problem I believe you guys are having, when you take out the key the windows roll all the way down when you open the door. Fix: 1. Take off the driver side door panel 2. Take off the panel shown and if you need the know how look up a video on how to replace the window motors to get the panel open 3. Ounce you get into the door, you will see a red plug (this is the plug to the switch in the back of the lock that lets you roll up the windows when the car is off) just unplug the switch, or you can replace it if you wanna save the feature but if you don’t need it just unplug it 4. With the switch unplugged turn on the car and roll up the windows and then take the key out and open the door. This should have fixed the problem. If you have any questions HMU on insta @3thanfisher777 and please share to anyone you know having this problem.

I said in the panel shown but my video didn’t post so, the panel I’m talking about is the metal panel that allows you access to the window motor.
hi there I just had the same problem and fixed it by holding the window button up for 10 seconds
Old 04-21-2023, 04:55 AM
Ulery53

Default Windows

Here's what happens:
these members either can't read or don't listen my Z is doing the same thing and NO is not the window motor reset that is for the auto up and down this thread is probably the only information online for this problem all other info is related to the auto up and down and if idiots would actually listen to a video you can stop the auto problem with the switch using the 1st click it the window will go up and stay up you can do whatever reset you want and if you roll the window up with the 2nd click it's going back down a few inches ..anyway I just wanted to say thanks for this post and my sensor that goes on the lock cylinder was broke as well
Old 01-08-2024, 12:56 PM
Daniel0928

hello everyone! I wanted to revive this post since i myself spend a long time reading through everyone's answers and 95% where either not clear or useless. If you have never removed your DRIVER side handle then your problem could be fix by a simple reset of the window motor. The way i fixed the issue of my windows automatically going down when i take the key out and open the door was by reconnecting the connector that goes attached to the door lock behind the handle. In my case it was just chilling on the bottom of my door, i don't know if it was touching metal or not but that was what was causing the issue. Either connect it back to the lock and the clip behind the window glass for the feature to able to control the window with the key or fob, if you don't care about the feature then unplug the cable from the clip.

here is an image of the cable.
this photo was the only reason i was able to fix the issue and its from @3_FILTHY_Z. YOU ARE THE GOEAT!

Last edited by Daniel0928; 01-08-2024 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:31 AM
ZandAMGLover

Default This fixed my problem

Originally Posted by enjoi_182
So when you remove your door handle there’s a little red circle thing connected to it which turns when you stick the key in and want to roll the windows down through the key lock so I just made sure the line in there was vertical and not horizontal and it fixed it just stuck my key into it and turned it
This fixed my problem did all the resets and nothing worked but once I moved this sideways like you said all was fine