Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Window Motor repair, they can be fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:35 PM
dtg35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Binder,

I'm looking to do this procedure soon. Did you happen to measure the old brushes on the window motors? The reason that i ask is that i want to buy the brushes that are the exact size so that i dont have to sand them down.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:12 PM
tblunt1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone else taken a rebuilt motor apart they bought from Advance etc? I posted in the other windows motor thread thinking it was this one (doh). I replaced the drivers side 8 months ago with one from O'reillys and it went out again this past week so I rebuilt the core I kept and swapped them. Took the 'rebuilt' one I bought apart and the brushes are almost completely gone with hardly no residue left inside so I'm guessing some of the rebuilds are just cleaned and put back together. I honestly can't see the brushes being almost completely gone in 8 months. I mean I'd have to put the window up down a metric ton to do that I'd think.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:40 PM
kencuellar

Default Thank you!!!

I know this is an old post but I just found it and have already removed the brushes using the photos you provided. I have also purchases they new brushes from an RC store and will be putting them back in tomorrow. $5.00 can't beat that!!

Thank for the info.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:42 PM
kencuellar

Default Thank You!!!

I know this is an old post but I just found it and have already removed the brushes using the photos you provided. I have also purchases they new brushes from an RC store and will be putting them back in tomorrow. $5.00 can't beat that!!

Thank for the info.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:10 AM
mrmotobiker

great diy! thanks binder! i just did this yesterday.

unfortunately i bought a "standard motor brush" kit from amazon and had a lot of sanding and soldering. would've taken me an hour but ended up taking 2 hours because i had to cut the brush in half, drill a new hole into the newly shaped brushes, solder in a wire...true FML moment...haha

just a side note: i would definitely test for continuity before closing everything up. it's a PITA to put the rotor back into the motor assembly after the new brushes are in. i desoldered 3 times because the brushes wouldn't allow the rotor to go back in.

Last edited by mrmotobiker; 09-11-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:19 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dtg35
Binder,

I'm looking to do this procedure soon. Did you happen to measure the old brushes on the window motors? The reason that i ask is that i want to buy the brushes that are the exact size so that i dont have to sand them down.
I didn't see this until now. Brushes for 540 motors don't come in different sizes. They are all a standard size either upright or lay down style. The brushes for the 350z window motor are specifically made for those particular motors so the brush size is not standard and you won't find a direct replacement.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:22 AM
binder

Originally Posted by mrmotobiker
great diy! thanks binder! i just did this yesterday.

unfortunately i bought a "standard motor brush" kit from amazon and had a lot of sanding and soldering. would've taken me an hour but ended up taking 2 hours because i had to cut the brush in half, drill a new hole into the newly shaped brushes, solder in a wire...true FML moment...haha

just a side note: i would definitely test for continuity before closing everything up. it's a PITA to put the rotor back into the motor assembly after the new brushes are in. i desoldered 3 times because the brushes wouldn't allow the rotor to go back in.

i'm glad you got it all back together and working. I'm confused on why you had to do so much work on just standard 540 upright brushes. They must have been for a different sized motor because maybe 1mm is all that needs to be sanded off 540 brushes in order to make them fit. I didn't have to reduce their length or cut anything in half or stuff like that.

On a side note i think this would be 2 years this fall that i did this repair and my window motor is still going strong without a single problem.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:16 PM
cv5boi

So its been about a year now and my motor went out again. I previously cleaned out the motor I did not replace the brushes.

Found these on ebay search: Are they the upright version brushes?

Option 1: Seems to be the better bulk deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-brush-...item19c91149e8

Option 2: For some reason the tip is flat? is the suppose to have a curve?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RC-540-s...item3cb52f7064

Which set suits the repair better?

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:13 PM
binder

they will both work.

The one set is curved on the end but they are just laying on their side so you can't see the curved contact end.

They are upright version.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:58 PM
cv5boi

Thanks for the heads up. Just purchased I will let you know how this diy goes haha. Thanks again for this making this thread too.

Originally Posted by binder
they will both work.

The one set is curved on the end but they are just laying on their side so you can't see the curved contact end.

They are upright version.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:45 PM
350z4Smitty

Man...Binder...and the dude with the other pictures...THANKS...I might send Binder $100.00 IF I fix it!!! LOL

I'm going to try this on the weekend...I hope it doesn't rain...my window is not down but it won't come down...I think this is the fix I need. The window goes up/comes down when I slam the door and hold the toggle switch...I stopped lowering my window when I had MAJOR problems with it going up. I gotta figure out how to take everything apart.

Last edited by 350z4Smitty; 09-26-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:19 PM
shametrain

One for One-just got done with brush replace on passenger door-workin like a charm.Had a new motor bought, took that ***** back thanks to you guys...
Old 11-28-2011, 03:28 PM
shametrain

Bluebadge-just got done with brush replacement and you do need to desolder and resolder these wires on my 03.Cool your trying to help but it's a tough enough gig no need for false hope.Your motor pic isn't even close to the one I just worked on...

Last edited by shametrain; 11-28-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:45 PM

Mine went out a couple of weeks ago. Rather than try this fix, which seems to have a mixed success rate, I bought a new one from Nissan for $200. When I pulled the old one out, I saw the re-manufactured on the motor. It was completelt clean, inside and out! No dirt, brushes looked great. Whio knows????
Old 11-28-2011, 04:34 PM
binder

Originally Posted by 122554
Mine went out a couple of weeks ago. Rather than try this fix, which seems to have a mixed success rate, I bought a new one from Nissan for $200. When I pulled the old one out, I saw the re-manufactured on the motor. It was completelt clean, inside and out! No dirt, brushes looked great. Whio knows????
mixed success? you are thinking of the "cleaning" mod. Replacing the brushes is a 100% fix because that's the issue with these motors. They wear down the brushes and need new ones.

As for yours, if the brushes are good then it's really hard telling what went wrong. Maybe electrical failure.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:56 PM

I have no idea what was wrong with mine. It stopped working one day, slammed the door and it worked till the next day. After that, all the beatings on the door had no effect. I read the reports on the re-manurfactered motors, the brush replacements, and how all worked some times, and how the motor failed again within a short period, and decided just to put a factory motor in. Seems from reading all the posts, that sometimes replacing the brushes works, sometimes it doesn't. I just don't have the time to screw with it!
Old 11-28-2011, 06:12 PM
binder

Originally Posted by 122554
I have no idea what was wrong with mine. It stopped working one day, slammed the door and it worked till the next day. After that, all the beatings on the door had no effect. I read the reports on the re-manurfactered motors, the brush replacements, and how all worked some times, and how the motor failed again within a short period, and decided just to put a factory motor in. Seems from reading all the posts, that sometimes replacing the brushes works, sometimes it doesn't. I just don't have the time to screw with it!
i'm not sure what posts you are reading but using aftermarket brushes there hasn't been a single person yet that hasn't fixed their problem with them. They last longer too.

Now replacing them with a rebuild will yield short life again because they are using poor quality brushes. Everyone in here uses the aftermarket good brushes and has great results. So far i'm more than 3 years on mine without a single issue.

People that just take the motor out and clean it and hope for the best have mixed results because if the brushes are worn down too far they don't make good contact no matter how clean they are.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:08 PM
huyrua

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did this mod over a year ago and motor is still good.

Thanks Binder.

I have about ten sets of stand up brush left over from my rc motors rebuild.

Send me $3.50 for a set to cover shipping.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:39 AM
binder

Originally Posted by huyrua
I did this mod over a year ago and motor is still good.

Thanks Binder.

I have about ten sets of stand up brush left over from my rc motors rebuild.

Send me $3.50 for a set to cover shipping.
welcome. i'm glad to contribute something to the community that is a cheap easy fix to a widespread problem.

maybe i'll think up some other cool things to help with
Old 01-10-2012, 04:44 AM
rdrage_6

Default Brushes

I need sets for both windows. Thanks. Found some.

Last edited by rdrage_6; 01-10-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Window Motor repair, they can be fixed!