Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Windows Software for the Z

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 11:22 AM
FEF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windows Software for the Z

I do all my own work, from maintenance to engine/tranny building. Sure, I'll farm out the machine work and the AT tranny Guru stuff, but I do all the assembly and maintenance. My last car was a VW, and for that I had (still have, but need to sell) Ross Tech's VCDS. It's as close to the "real" stuff as you can get and mandatory if you have a TDI. To that end, I'm looking for software to run on a Windows PC.

The goal is to be able to program keys, remotes, and all the diagnostic stuff needed to maintain the Z properly. The big thing now is key programming. My Z only came with 1 key, so I have 3 keys cut but I don't want to spend money on programming that can be spent on software I need anyway.

The one that's the most promising is Nissan DataScan II.
http://www.nissandatascan.com/
However, I've not found many threads from people on Z sites that are using it. That seems kinda odd to me, because it's reasonably priced and appears to do all the stuff needed for those that do all their own work. Plus, there's a more engine management version for Android that I can use on my Galaxy Tablet. That's kinda cool.

Any of you have experience with DataScan II (not for Android)? Advice on other options is welcome, too.

Thanks for the help,
Old 05-14-2015, 07:33 AM
FEF

Update:

I've sent an email to Nissan Data Scan asking if it will do minor timing changes, idle adjustments, and key programming. Lets see how long it takes NDS to write back.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:45 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,291 Likes on 895 Posts

I don't see anything on their site to indicate their NDS 2 can reprogram keys?

As for myself, I am happy to use and endorse UpRev's Cipher and Osiris systems. They've done a great job of understanding and integrating Nissan software into their functional systems. Outside of a CONSULT III, it's better than just about anything else on the market (and way cheaper) IMO. Cipher can diagnose all of my OBD II Nissans and Infinitis, while Osiris is more for tuning the racecar.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:53 AM
FEF

I'm interested in Cipher, but I haven't seen it anywhere without Osiris and tuning. Can Cipher be bought as a stand alone product?
Old 05-14-2015, 01:45 PM
FEF

I forgot....

Here are videos from NDS that show key programming, timing, and other cool stuff. In fact, You Tube is the only place I can find any real information on it, and it's 4 years old.

If it will do all that, I'm more then happy.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:12 AM
FEF

For those interested, here's the email exchange I had with Tom from NDS. I'm sold on the software, but I haven't used it yet. I'll know more about the actual software within the next few days.

My email address and name is remove, but other then that, I'm copying and pasting with no edits. I'm impressed, really. I'm convinced that many would have blown me off, but he didn't.
---------------------------------------
Date
:Fri, 15 May, 2015 at 1:03
Subject: DataScan II

Greetings,

I have an '04 350Z, and I have a few questions that I'm hoping you can help with.

I'd like to make minor timing changes, idle adjustments, and program keys and remotes. I've read that DataScan II can do that. Can you confirm this?

Have you tested your software with any bluetooth interface like the one below?

Amazon.com: AUTOS-FAMILY Super Mini OBD2 OBDII Bluetooth Auto Diagnostic Scanner Code Reader for Windows & Android - Compatible with Torque Pro: Automotive Amazon.com: AUTOS-FAMILY Super Mini OBD2 OBDII Bluetooth Auto Diagnostic Scanner Code Reader for Windows & Android - Compatible with Torque Pro: Automotive

Thanks for your time,
------------------------------------------------------
On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 6:29 AM, Nissan Data Scan <nissandatascan@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi,

Yes, you can change base timing, idle rpm and program keys with the NDSII pc software. You can not program remotes.

The Bluetooth adaptor you have listed will not work with the NDSII pc software. You need to use a Vag Com OBDII adaptor.

Regards,
Tom
--------------------------------------------------------
To: Nissan Data Scan <nissandatascan@yahoo.com>
Sent: Sunday, 17 May 2015, 6:55
Subject: Re: DataScan II

Thanks for the response. This information helps a lot and makes your software very appealing for a small shop owner. However, all of the VAG-Com KKL 409.1 interfaces I've seen are USB, but I really need to find a wireless solution.

Can you recommend a wireless interface that will work with NDSII and NDS Android?

Thanks again for your time
-----------------------------------------------------------
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 4:55 AM, Nissan Data Scan <nissandatascan@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi _________,

We haven't found a good wireless Vag Com adaptor. They are all USB. Microsoft Windows doesn't handle Bluetooth very well so I wouldn't recommend using one.

For tested Android app adaptors please see our website http://home.exetel.com.au/nds/NDSIIA...portedadaptors

Regards,
Tom
----------------------------------------------------
To: Nissan Data Scan <nissandatascan@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 19 May 2015, 6:58
Subject: Re: DataScan II

Thanks, very much Tom. Honestly, I appreciate your support.

I think I only have two more questions:

Your saying that a Ross-Tech VCDS (was VAG-Com) interface (non-CAN bus) will will work with NDSII, and any dumb interface that will run VAG-Com version 311, 409, and VCDS Lite is compatible with NDS, too? NDS II uses a passive ISO-9141 (K-Line) interface? As an example, USB -> FT232 -> optocoupler should/may work, as well as Bluetooth -> CP2103 / FT232 ->, because they are passive?

Can you confirm that I need two different interfaces for Android and NDS II. The Android interface Will Not work with NDSII, because Android requires the ELM327 chip, making it active, while NDS II requires passive ISO-9141?

I understand that this is a bit more techie then most, but if I understand what it's really trying to see, then I may be able to create a pair of wireless dongles for the PC and vehicle that interface with NDS II, VCDS, and another software that my cars use regularly.

Thanks again for your time.
------------------------------------------------------
On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 6:15 AM, Nissan Data Scan <nissandatascan@yahoo.com> wrote:---------------------
Hi ___________,

Yes, any dumb interface will work with NDSII pc software. You could use a Bluetooth RF Transceiver and hook it up to a k-line interface. This should work as well. The problem is Windows doesn't handle the Bluetooth connection reliably. You will have a lot of problems pairing, initiating connection, opening the Com Port etc.

Yes, the Android app uses different interface to the NDSII pc software. The pc software has a lot more functionality which the ELM327 chip just can't do.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Tom
-------------------------------------------------------
On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 7:38 AM:
Tom,

This does help a lot. Thanks again for taking the time to answer these questions.

Take care,
-------------------
So, there you have it.

Honestly, though, I want to do more research on the Torque App, but it looks like Android NDS can do more then Torque.

Last edited by FEF; 03-15-2020 at 06:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
khnitz (03-28-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 07:06 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Reviving for interested parties.

I use this all the time for CEL checks, and resets. It resets engine learning and throttle as well without having to do the stupid dance. The PC version has many more features that the android version, but I use both to diagnose / clear stuff out if I am caught with an issue outside my home.

The pc version also has the nice feature of being able to read the logs done by the android version, you just have to copy the file from android to your PC.

You can also turn on/off individual coil packs to help diagnose missfire issues, without having to reach into the motor and burn your hands with those fragile connectors.
The following 2 users liked this post by Z33Garage:
khnitz (03-28-2019), rcdawgs (03-20-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 05:42 AM
Cracka350

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Not contributing, but it's going to be really interesting when people restoring classic cars have to plug in with a laptop
Old 04-17-2019, 11:14 AM
striker27

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My question is can I look at the ABS system and the VDC system?? Can things be reset??

thanks
Old 04-17-2019, 11:29 AM
Z33Garage

Originally Posted by striker27
My question is can I look at the ABS system and the VDC system?? Can things be reset??

thanks
Per the manual: http://home.exetel.com.au/nds/NDSII/...%20Rev%202.pdf

"The NDSII software supports ABS diagnostics over the DDL2 communication line. A lot of Nissan vehicles use DDL2 communication line for engine ECU (ECM) diagnostics but still use DDL1 communication line for ABS diagnostics. Those vehicles are not supported. The ABS functions are used for diagnostics and general monitoring of the ABS Control Module. They can be selected from the pull down menu at the top of the Main Screen or by clicking on the large Main screen buttons. The progress bar at the bottom indicates data transfer between ABS ECU and PC. If the bar is not moving there is no data being received from the ABS ECU."

I "acquired" the software to test, and on my car the ABS system cannot be read. I am not sure if this is a issue due to my version or not.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:00 PM
striker27

That is odd. The DataScan site says it can read ABS functions and that. It can be reset...

Can I ask what version you are using??

THANKS
Old 04-17-2019, 07:20 PM
Z33Garage

Originally Posted by striker27
That is odd. The DataScan site says it can read ABS functions and that. It can be reset...

Can I ask what version you are using??

THANKS
I am 2.53. NDSII.

The same one they have on their site.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:19 AM
striker27

I have heard back from the guy at DataScan. He says I should have no problems with reseting the steering angle sensor on the car. Will wait and see will be ordering the software and dongle. I just like the idea of being able to use the laptop instead of say a Foxwell unit..........
Old 05-20-2019, 08:00 PM
Edward Carrick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z33Garage
Per the manual: http://home.exetel.com.au/nds/NDSII/...%20Rev%202.pdf

"The NDSII software supports ABS diagnostics over the DDL2 communication line. A lot of Nissan vehicles use DDL2 communication line for engine ECU (ECM) diagnostics but still use DDL1 communication line for ABS diagnostics. Those vehicles are not supported. The ABS functions are used for diagnostics and general monitoring of the ABS Control Module. They can be selected from the pull down menu at the top of the Main Screen or by clicking on the large Main screen buttons. The progress bar at the bottom indicates data transfer between ABS ECU and PC. If the bar is not moving there is no data being received from the ABS ECU."

I "acquired" the software to test, and on my car the ABS system cannot be read. I am not sure if this is a issue due to my version or not.
It does indeed read ABS. Sometimes you have to fiddle with the DTC setting in the Communications menu, also might need to +/- the timeout setting. On mine, I have to pretty much use different values for each sub-function within NDS2. Should also check in device manager that you have the COM port set to the right one. I'm no expert, but through trial and error, and hours of Youtube University sessions, I've managed to learn my way around the software. I don't know every little detail, but the things that I do know about it, I'm willing to share with anyone in need.

Hope this helps