Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

VDC OFF/SLIP lights constantly on

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:30 AM
cpatel529

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VDC OFF/SLIP lights constantly on

I am not sure why this is occuring. I just had new TPMS sensors installed yesterday on my car. I thought that that was the problem since no TPMS sensors were installed on my aftermarket wheels. The tire pressure light has gone away but the VDC OFF/SLIP lights are still on.

My tires are new (800 miles). I have Hankook Evo V12s in the following size:
255/35/19 26"
285/35/19 26.9" (0.9" stagger)

Not sure what else it could be. From reading previous threads, people were saying how their speed sensors may have gone bad or arent providing a reading in the wheel. Where is this located? How can I check it?

Also, I am noticing that the digital vs. gauge speed readout is off by approx 4 MPH.

Frustration is kicking in and I dont know what else to do to try and get rid of this issue.

Chirag
Old 04-04-2011, 09:00 AM
cpatel529

Update: Tire pressure light came back on today while driving on highway to work. Will have to check it again when I drive home to see if it comes on again.

Disconnected and reconnected battery power to see if this would help. Still cannot turn on the VDC (VDC OFF light is always on) and SLIP light is always on.

Not sure how to diagnose the difference in speed readouts.

Taking car to Nissan dealer to see if the tech can re-calibrate the TPMS pairing (wheel shop may have done it incorrectly.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:17 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by cpatel529
I am not sure why this is occuring. I just had new TPMS sensors installed yesterday on my car. I thought that that was the problem since no TPMS sensors were installed on my aftermarket wheels. The tire pressure light has gone away but the VDC OFF/SLIP lights are still on.

My tires are new (800 miles). I have Hankook Evo V12s in the following size:
255/35/19 26"
285/35/19 26.9" (0.9" stagger)

Not sure what else it could be. From reading previous threads, people were saying how their speed sensors may have gone bad or arent providing a reading in the wheel. Where is this located? How can I check it?

Also, I am noticing that the digital vs. gauge speed readout is off by approx 4 MPH.

Frustration is kicking in and I dont know what else to do to try and get rid of this issue.

Chirag
Off by 4 mph, double check the rear tires and make sure you didn't get a set of 285/30-19's. That would explain both the MPH and Slip light
Old 04-04-2011, 10:27 AM
cpatel529

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Off by 4 mph, double check the rear tires and make sure you didn't get a set of 285/30-19's. That would explain both the MPH and Slip light
Checked the tires. They are definitely 285/35/19. Will have to see what Nissan says tomm. hopefully all it takes is a reset and re-calibration of the system.

Chirag
Old 04-04-2011, 11:38 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

It's rare, but there's always a possibility the wheel speed sensors got damaged and that is throwing TCS/VDC off.

Does the VDC Off /Slip lights come on as soon as you start moving?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:42 AM
cpatel529

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
It's rare, but there's always a possibility the wheel speed sensors got damaged and that is throwing TCS/VDC off.

Does the VDC Off /Slip lights come on as soon as you start moving?
Thanks for response Dave!

Are the wheel speed sensors built into the TPMS? Is this a test that a Nissan Dealership could do with their CONSULT-II system (i.e. verify that all the wheel speed sensors are providing accurate data)?

The lights dont come on immediately after I start moving. it takes a few seconds. I think its after I hit 10 MPH or so (dont remember the exact speed).

Chirag
Old 04-04-2011, 01:41 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Wheel sensor, yaw sensor, streering angle sensor, ABS control unit could all be bad. Possible low brake fluid , CHECK IT. Wheel sensors are different than TPMS, not related at all, and the last one that could cause it are the front tires are taller than the rear (but you say 255/35 and 285/35 so your good)
Old 04-04-2011, 01:46 PM
cpatel529

Will perform this check when i get home after work.

Where are the wheel sensors located? My aftermarket wheels didnt come with any sensors installed. I purchased the TPMS sensors from a guy on my350z.com that was selling from a 2006 Z.

Once again.. Thank you to all that are helping me figure this out. Been learning a lot about the Z from all the various posts on this forum. Great knowledge base!

Chirag

Last edited by cpatel529; 04-04-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:22 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Will perform this check when i get home after work.

Where are the wheel sensors located? My aftermarket wheels didnt come with any sensors installed. I purchased the TPMS sensors from a guy on my350z.com that was selling from a 2006 Z.

Once again.. Thank you to all that are helping me figure this out. Been learning a lot about the Z from all the various posts on this forum. Great knowledge base!

Chirag
Wheel speed sensors are located on the diff cover in the rear, and the fronts are located on the backside of the spindle.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:40 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Did you get an alignment recently?

If so, is your steering wheels centered? i.e. correct position when travelling straight down the road?

As pointed out,tire pressure sensors are independent from the wheel speed sensors. Yes, Consult can tell if the sensors are working properly.

Last edited by DavesZ#3; 04-04-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:49 PM
cpatel529

Did you get an alignment recently?

If so, is your steering wheels centered? i.e. correct position when travelling straight down the road?

As pointed out,tire pressure sensors are independent from the wheel speed sensors. Yes, Consult can tell if the sensors are working properly.
I got an alignment a few weeks ago. The lights were on prior to the alignment.

Steering wheel is centered. It is an aftermarket Momo steering wheel.

My TPMS sensors stopped providing tire pressure this morning. Worked fine when they were installed on Saturday. Not sure what happened.

Also the digital reading is 4 Mph lower than the analog gauge reading.

Chi

Last edited by cpatel529; 04-05-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:56 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

The steering angle sensor could be bad - that makes the computer think the steering wheel is turned when it's not. If it thinks the wheel is turned and the wheel speed sensors are not sending the expected signal (because the car is travelling straight) than that can trigger VDC issues too.

All sensors stopped working? Even after travelling a reasonable distance at greater than 20mph?

My analog and digital have always been off by a small amount. Probably no big deal.

In all likelyhood you have some sensor gone bad but the only way to tell for sure is to have it hooked up to Consult.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:33 PM
cpatel529

The steering angle sensor could be bad - that makes the computer think the steering wheel is turned when it's not. If it thinks the wheel is turned and the wheel speed sensors are not sending the expected signal (because the car is travelling straight) than that can trigger VDC issues too.

All sensors stopped working? Even after travelling a reasonable distance at greater than 20mph?

My analog and digital have always been off by a small amount. Probably no big deal.

In all likelyhood you have some sensor gone bad but the only way to tell for sure is to have it hooked up to Consult.
Thanks Dave!

Not all sensors stopped working. The TPMS sensors arent being read anymore. It worked Saturday when I was driving home.

I guess I will know more tomm morning after taking my car to dealership to have them check it out.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:49 AM
NZMOWND

The TPMS sensors need to be programmed to the car...i just had this done and it fixed that problem...as far as the Slip light no clue..
Old 04-05-2011, 09:50 AM
cpatel529

Originally Posted by NZMOWND
The TPMS sensors need to be programmed to the car...i just had this done and it fixed that problem...as far as the Slip light no clue..
I am going to the Nissan dealership to have them re-program the TPMS sensors. Right now ever sensor is reading (--).

Hopefully they can assess why the SLIP Light and VDC Light Off lights are constantly on.

Chirag
Old 04-05-2011, 11:38 AM
cpatel529

Would the after market steering wheel cause problems? The wire harness that went to the oem steering wheel is not plugged in. Not sure if there is a sensor up there that is not getting reported. Just a guess on my part.

Chirag
Old 04-05-2011, 11:57 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Would the after market steering wheel cause problems? The wire harness that went to the oem steering wheel is not plugged in. Not sure if there is a sensor up there that is not getting reported. Just a guess on my part.

Chirag
Just horn and airbag will be disconected. Unless they screwed something else up.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:01 PM
cpatel529

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Just horn and airbag will be disconected. Unless they screwed something else up.
Thanks! Thats what I thought but wanted to confirm and make sure that I wasnt missing anything.

UPDATE:

Went to the Nissan Dealer today for them to look at my TPMS sensor and the VDC OFF/SLIP light.

TPMS: They werent able to re-calibrate the TPMS sensors. The sensors are installed on the backside of the wheel and the Nissan calibration tool doesnt fit without jacking up the car and potentially damaging my body kit. I read about a handheld device that I can purchase and use to calibrate my own sensors which is what I will probably do. I think that this tool sells for $30.00 or so.

VDC OFF/SLIP Light: Nissan dealership wanted $100.00 to just connect the CONSULT II system to my car. Not sure how much more they would have charged to do any more work. This sounded like a complete rip-off to me. I may be a Noob when it comes to the 350z but there is no way that I am spending a bill just for them to access the port. Is there another way to read the sensor values without going to Nissan? Is this an OBC-2 connector? Anything that I can buy to read the values myself?

Chirag
Old 04-05-2011, 01:38 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Consult II could have also been used to set your TPMS sensors, find a friendly dealer tech and buy a 12 pack.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:33 PM
cpatel529

Well I got my VDC OFF and SLIP lights to turn off. Got a ODCII computer hooked up to my car at my mechanic and we read that the steering angle sensor was reading way off! It was reading -417 deg when the tires were pointing straight.. The sensor should be reading approx 0.0 deg..

We re-positioned the wheels to straight and spun the spring mechanism until the steering angle sensor was at 0. Put the steering wheel back on, turned the car on and the lights were off my entire drive home.

You could put your wheels to point straight and then reset the steering angle sensor to 0.0, however, that may cause problems later since the spring mechanism may be twisted due to the reset and not being truely at 0.0 deg angle.

Now I just need to get used to the SLIP effect when it turns on.

Chi

Last edited by cpatel529; 04-11-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Quick Reply: VDC OFF/SLIP lights constantly on