Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Help with a lot of water in my headlights?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:18 PM
VPL-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a lot of water in my headlights?

Hi all, I have been living with this weird problem for at least three months now. My headlights always seem to have a large amount of water on the inside of the lenses, so much that I have trouble seeing at night. Then on some days, usually when it's hot like two days ago when it was 80 degress, the water generally goes away except for a few droplets around the signal area. They seem to be gone, and then all of a sudden when I get home it's back. I truly don't understand how this happens?

I did have an HID kid installed last year by my friend, but the weird part was that my headlights went through the rough winter we had in NY and still didn't develop any water in the headlights. It's only been the past three months when it started happening. I don't know now if I should bring it into the dealership? Would they even be able to do anything, or would they just tell me that I'm responsible for it and blame it automatically on the HID kit?

I planned on taking apart the headlights to completely clean the inside and then black it out, but I'm afraid it will just become filled with water again after all of that hard work. Maybe I should revert back to the halogens? I really don't know what to do lol.

Please let me know what you guys think, and what I should do, thanks!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:12 PM
mhammel20

Look for a crack in your headlight, if its not that then check and see if yuor friend didnt put something back on right, he might have not tighhtened something correctly and it is gettind condensation, rain, whateverr in the headlight... i know with my z i bought it and the right headight went out because the ciover wasnt closed all the way and now i have to replace the ballist for it to work and also the wheel well. but thats my situation. easy fix. just make sure everything is on tight and correctly on.. if that diesnt work then idk. look for cracks as well, also my back right has condensation from a small crack
Old 04-13-2011, 09:27 PM
VPL-Z

Originally Posted by mhammel20
Look for a crack in your headlight, if its not that then check and see if yuor friend didnt put something back on right, he might have not tighhtened something correctly and it is gettind condensation, rain, whateverr in the headlight... i know with my z i bought it and the right headight went out because the ciover wasnt closed all the way and now i have to replace the ballist for it to work and also the wheel well. but thats my situation. easy fix. just make sure everything is on tight and correctly on.. if that diesnt work then idk. look for cracks as well, also my back right has condensation from a small crack
Thanks for the quick reply, I don't believe there are cracks on them since it's happening exactly the same in both headlights. Do you think it's something to do with the back pieces of the headlight not being put on correctly? Maybe they got loose? I know that in order to install the HIDs I believe he had to drill through the cap so that he could wire it in or something. Possible cause?
Old 04-14-2011, 01:50 AM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are your wheelwell splash guards removed for some reason (because of an aftermarket front bumper or whatever)? If so the tires will throw water at the backs of the headlights, and eventually some of that water will make its way into the housing causing the condensation.

If your splash guards are intact, then I'd inspect for cracks or a fitting improperly reinstalled like mhammel stated. There is something that's letting water into the housing.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:33 AM
VPL-Z

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
Are your wheelwell splash guards removed for some reason (because of an aftermarket front bumper or whatever)? If so the tires will throw water at the backs of the headlights, and eventually some of that water will make its way into the housing causing the condensation.

If your splash guards are intact, then I'd inspect for cracks or a fitting improperly reinstalled like mhammel stated. There is something that's letting water into the housing.
Aha, I remember something happened not too long ago and they on both sides got a bit shredded up. Then I got the new Stillen Series 3 bumper put on, however they are still installed. What should I do at this point, and where could I get new ones to put on?
Old 04-14-2011, 03:18 AM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VPL-Z
Aha, I remember something happened not too long ago and they on both sides got a bit shredded up. Then I got the new Stillen Series 3 bumper put on, however they are still installed. What should I do at this point, and where could I get new ones to put on?
First, make sure that damaged splash guards are actually the most likely cause by ruling out that there are any cracks in the housing or an electrical plug that isn't installed correctly. If you can't find any other causes, you can get new splash guards from a Nissan dealer's parts department, or here:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/350z-pa...5_824_827.html

For what it's worth, my headlights got condensation in them about a week after removing the splash guards when the weather was rainy. I made some custom ones out of rubber sheeting since my car is for the track only and is almost never driven in rain anymore.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:04 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

no one caught this?

Drill thru the back cap?
there is your issue plain and simple.

That area must be completely sealed. I doubt it is anymore.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:07 AM
phreaktor
¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Put some goldfish in it and say they're custom.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:21 AM
mhammel20

Its your hole in the back cap, there is a reason there is a water tight rubber seal around your cap, for that apparent reason.. to not let condensation, water, etc in. you need to find a better way to run the wire in without hole, thats why the Z's come stock with nice and bright xenon hid headlights. they dont want you tampering with them
Old 04-14-2011, 08:24 AM
bjjbadboy

Yeah no bueno drilling through the back. Didn't really read except for that. Like other guys said it's super sealed for a reason slightest crack hole etc gonna get condimsation. Fix quick or they look gross. Kick ur. Buddy for doing a. Bad job on your expensive head lights. I see you said NY if you need help or just need some one to black out your lights I do them fairly cheap. Be very careful if doing it yourself. Putting a 300+$ headlight in the oven is for the faint of heart lol.

Back on target. Try to replace what he drilled and run the wires correct. Or getto fix with a big glob of silicon over the open hole should help for a lil at least
Old 04-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Erik@R/Ttuning

Originally Posted by mhammel20
Its your hole in the back cap, there is a reason there is a water tight rubber seal around your cap, for that apparent reason.. to not let condensation, water, etc in. you need to find a better way to run the wire in without hole, thats why the Z's come stock with nice and bright xenon hid headlights. they dont want you tampering with them
Is there a grommet or anything sealing those wires to the cap? If not you have found your problem I'll bet.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:08 PM
DaProdigy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the same problem due to a bodyshop wrecking my fenderliners. im ordering new ones then doing a re-seal jik. good luck
Old 04-14-2011, 04:20 PM
VPL-Z

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll check out the holes in the caps to see just how bad they are. I was about to purchase the fender liners from Nissan as well this week, but they're kinda on the expensive side (what's new).
Old 04-14-2011, 08:14 PM
gregom

Get all the water out and heat dry them, then seal up holes you made with clear silicone sealant. Comes in those plastic bottles at the hardware store like standard caulk and other household weather sealants.

If the headlamps were already disassembled then seal the separation points as well.

As already mentioned the splash guards or fender liner helps a lot... Make sure no water is getting passed it and onto the back of your headlamps.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Nismomonkey

Im hijacking this thread because I have the same problem but for a different reason. My Z went to the shop for some transmission work, and when I picked it up the mechanic had washed it and got water into both of the headlamps. It should be noted this guy was an idiot and I am positive he did something stupid to cause this because I have had this Z for a little over a year and my other Z for over 7 years and never have I ever gotten water in just by washing it normally. The passenger side one seems to have dried out mostly but I can still see a few drops in it, the drivers side one keeps condensating pretty good and I cant figure out how to get the water out. Is it safe to pull the lamp out and remove the bulbs and wipe it out? It is an 05 so it has the older lamps and I was told previously not to take the main lamp out because the slightest bit of oil or anything on the bulb could make it go boom.

TLDR Water in lamp for no reason, how do I get it out? There is no cracks/leaks stock wiring no mods to the lamps.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:46 PM
savedbygrace

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

"Put some goldfish in it and say they're custom."

Laughed out loud at that Truly funny
Old 04-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Stock2Autocrozz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ebay $279 per set, problem solved
Old 04-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Nismomonkey

Originally Posted by savedbygrace
"Put some goldfish in it and say they're custom."

Laughed out loud at that Truly funny
Seriously contemplated this and even spent a few minutes trying to figure out if it could be done. lol.

As for the ebay for a brand new set, sounds good. Ill take a look into that. cheapest I have seen so far is 400 or so per lamp. For that price Id drop the extra 400 and get a set of 06 lamps.

Edit: Which is to say that the 06s cost roughly 600 a lamp so yea.

Edit 2: Good call on the Ebay, even found cheaper 06 lamps.

Last edited by Nismomonkey; 04-27-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:33 PM
hyuk28719

Originally Posted by phreaktor
Put some goldfish in it and say they're custom.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Nismomonkey

So looks like driving it out to San Jose and then parking it at work today out in the hot sun made most of the water go away. This weekend (my weekend anyway) I will be pulling them off the car and getting the excess out, and finally installing my oversized wheel friendly fender liners to help keep them dry. Still thinking about filling one of the housings with water and sealing it with one of my fish inside though. Maybe when I finally get un poor and upgrade to the 06 lights Ill make an aquarium out of the old lamps.