Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 07:05 AM
Jollyj3wbagle42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, do you have any advice on the "clicking" problem some of us are having?
Old 08-20-2014, 12:12 PM
bluebadge

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jollyj3wbagle42
Well, do you have any advice on the "clicking" problem some of us are having?
Hmmm. A clicking eh? is it clicking only when going up or when going down? or in both directions. My first guess would be that the cog that is turned by the worm that is in the 5th bow motor may have thrown a tooth or two. If that is the case the clicking would be when the roof travels up and down. The other concern I would have is that the 5th bow motor may not be fully seated correctly or you have a damaged a cog when putting it back in.

I would start with checking the visible cog, and making sure that the motor is seated correctly, before attempting to strip down the gear housing.

The only other thing I could think of would be that one of the brushes is catching, if that is the case it should wear down after time and stop.

Let me know what your symptoms are.

Dr BB.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:43 AM
Jollyj3wbagle42

I would guess the nylon gear inside has worn a tooth down or something similar.

Was there any special way you installed your motor? I.e. Disconnected the rails or had the top in a specific position?
Old 08-28-2014, 03:54 PM
Archile

I signed up just to ask y'all this question: How on earth did you remove the screw in the back of the motor? Most of the screws were on very tight (had to take a dremel to one) but the screw in the far back in the hole I cannot get out. I have tried various specialty tools and even took it in to a mechanic! I think I will have to take it to the place where I had my new top installed and see if they can cut off the rivets in the back to remove the plastic cover, remove the motor, then replace the cover and rivet the top back on.

I was hoping someone may have a trick.

BB: have you tried a local junk yard to see if they have the piece you need? Great tutorial BTW.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:58 PM
Jollyj3wbagle42

Originally Posted by Archile
I signed up just to ask y'all this question: How on earth did you remove the screw in the back of the motor? Most of the screws were on very tight (had to take a dremel to one) but the screw in the far back in the hole I cannot get out. I have tried various specialty tools and even took it in to a mechanic! I think I will have to take it to the place where I had my new top installed and see if they can cut off the rivets in the back to remove the plastic cover, remove the motor, then replace the cover and rivet the top back on.

BB: have you tried a local junk yard to see if they have the piece you need? Great tutorial BTW.
I used a Phillips screwdriver bit and vice grips to hold the bit. Then put pressure from the top down and unscrew it. Might need a flat head bit if you stripped the head
Old 08-31-2014, 09:50 AM
bluebadge

Default Nothing special

Originally Posted by Jollyj3wbagle42
I would guess the nylon gear inside has worn a tooth down or something similar.

Was there any special way you installed your motor? I.e. Disconnected the rails or had the top in a specific position?
Top was in fully closed position, there was no special way of re-installing it. I just reversed the removal procedure.

BB
Old 08-31-2014, 09:56 AM
bluebadge

omg do not I repeat do not dremel the rivets, I used a 90 degree Phillips head screwdriver and applied a bit of force. If you dremel the rivets you are going to probably have to re—attach the roof. You do not need to remove the plastic cover.

And yes I've already tried junk yards, 100s of them.

Best of luck
BB
Old 09-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Archile

HA, no BB, I had to dremel a stripped screw, one of the silver dome headed ones in the front. I am going to attempt to remove the one in the back again this weekend, but if I fail, I will take it to the guy who replaced my top and have him remove the rivets in the back, remove the plastic cover and screw, then reassemble.

100's of scrap heaps and not one had what you were looking for? Here in Hampton Roads we have a yard that is nothing but 350Z's. Though you have to catch the guy on his odd hours as he is always out racing!
Old 09-02-2014, 02:45 PM
bluebadge

PM me his details if you wouldn't mind as its a little off topic here thanks.

HA, no BB, I had to dremel a stripped screw, one of the silver dome headed ones in the front. I am going to attempt to remove the one in the back again this weekend, but if I fail, I will take it to the guy who replaced my top and have him remove the rivets in the back, remove the plastic cover and screw, then reassemble.

100's of scrap heaps and not one had what you were looking for? Here in Hampton Roads we have a yard that is nothing but 350Z's. Though you have to catch the guy on his odd hours as he is always out racing!
Old 11-04-2014, 03:57 PM
mootz2

Default Did this repair....still in trouble

I replaced the brushes and did a great job, HOWEVER my convertible is still struggling to go up and down. What should I do next?

NEED HELP!! THANKS!
Old 12-23-2014, 08:39 AM
Oz 350z

Default Can NOT get the white housing out!

Everything went smoothly up until I tried to get the white plastic brush housing out of the black plastic case. There are overhangs in the black case which for the life of me I cannot find a way to release. Since no one else has mentioned this issue I wonder: Am I am missing something obvious?
Old 12-23-2014, 09:11 AM
Oz 350z

Default Got it.

Upon closer examination I found a pry point on the pin end which got it started. Be careful though, Blue Badge is not kidding about how fragile that casing is.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:01 AM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mootz2
I replaced the brushes and did a great job, HOWEVER my convertible is still struggling to go up and down. What should I do next?

NEED HELP!! THANKS!
I'm in the same boat as you. Goes about 95% then stops and can't figure out why.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:44 PM
davidlsmith74

Unhappy How Did You Replace the Broke 5th Bow Strut?

Originally Posted by bluebadge
I am almost 100% sure that that is a 5th bow motor issue, as this is the exact same thing that mine was doing, eventually the roof will get stuck halfway into the storage bin. It can be forced if you must but be really careful not to push too hard or you will break one of the hydraulic struts! (yes I did break one lol)

Good Luck

BB
BB,
First, thanks for the DIY. I replaced the brushes in my 5th bow motor and the motor worked fine. One problem; the driver side 5th bow roof hydraulic strut snapped!!! I was wondering if you could tell me how you were able to replace it. I found a strut but I can't seem to devise a way to replace it without taking the top off. Any advice will help. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-18-2015, 06:04 AM
pmancini

Default Replaced convertible top and now 5th bow will not lock

I replaced the convertible top on my 2008 350Z and it all works fine, you can open up the top and you can close it but the last action in closing the top, the 5th bow is stuck vertically, it seems like it's locked in place. I have removed the limit switch and close switch but they seem to be just fine. It did work fine before I replaced the top. I'm thinking it's something that I forgot but I have racked my brain and can't think of anything. Also, the straps that the vendor sent me are not OEM so I had to take a guess at how much tension is required, I don't know if this could be the issue. Any help would be much appreciated.

Paul

Last edited by pmancini; 05-18-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:55 PM
Garomil

Default Thanks

My 2004 350Z convertible top eventually stopped working--part opened ---thus making the car useless to drive. Ugh... I pulled out the 5th bow motor and took it apart as described. Black soot everywhere!! The brushes looked like they had some life still left in them, so instead of replacing, I just cleaned the soot out. Scrubbed the spinde with a scouring pad where they made contact with the brushes as there was a thick grey-black coating. Put it back together and and WOW!!! The motor works as good as new. THANKS!!!!!!! If it starts acting up again, I'll have to put new brushes in but for now its good enough.

Not sure if another post has a link to a tool to make removing the screws easier- ratcheting 90 degree mini-screwdrivers ($8.99)- Neiko 03044A. Here is what I bought for t:e job.

Neiko 03044A Mini Ratcheting Screwdriver and Bit Set, Pocket Size Close-Quarters, 1/4-Inch Drive - Angle Screwdriver - Amazon.com Neiko 03044A Mini Ratcheting Screwdriver and Bit Set, Pocket Size Close-Quarters, 1/4-Inch Drive - Angle Screwdriver - Amazon.com
Old 06-23-2015, 02:08 PM
judesz

about to attempt replacement of motor brushes,
was the top in the fully closed position when you removed the motor assy for the 5th bow motor?

Well finally got to it, after reading all these threads,
broke 1 brush, used a spare ( bought 2 sets, good advise) put back together quite easily actually,
works perfect,
Thanks for this Blog, BB is the King, thanks for sharing this info,
Jon (Jude's Z)

Last edited by judesz; 06-28-2015 at 04:59 AM. Reason: update
Old 08-11-2015, 05:33 PM
RedSkyHawk88

Default It worked!!

Thank you!!! I have a 2005 Nissan Roadster Touring. Garage kept with 68k miles. Over the past 2 years opening the top was getting progressively difficult to open. Finally about two months ago it stopped opening. After bringing it to the shop I received a quote for the entire top since they said it had to be replaced at a cost of $8,000.00. Of course I laughed and started researching. I had read this post way back when so I knew this was most likely the issue. I received a quote for the 5th bow motor for $550. This still seemed pretty high. So, I Contacted an online hobby store and bought the motor brushes.

Taking out the motor took some time since the screws were very tight.
All steps provided were flawless.
The top opens faster than when I purchased from the dealership.
Feels like I have a new convertible!!
Old 08-24-2015, 02:30 PM
David P. Nelsen

Default 5th Bow Motor

How do you pry up the plastic cover over the 5th Bow motor. Do I need a special tool or just brute force and ignorance.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:42 PM
RedSkyHawk88

Default Plastic Piece

Originally Posted by David P. Nelsen
How do you pry up the plastic cover over the 5th Bow motor. Do I need a special tool or just brute force and ignorance.
Use force in the front and the corners. Do not try to remove. There are plastic connectors that snap it into place.

Quick Reply: How To Repair 5th Bow Motor, with photos.