Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

trunk problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:01 PM
fury350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trunk problem

hey guys, i tried searching all over this forum and many others. i'm starting to get a headache from the research, and i cant even really find anything in the repair manual as far as where to begin looking at wires for this problem.

i have an 03, with a passenger window motor that always goes out. fixed it multiple times and this last time i replaced the motor, my trunk for some reason tends to pop open by itself driving down the road, or unlocking the car. the only way to keep the trunk locked/closed is to jump in the car and lock the doors real fast so it wont open up, but as soon as i unlock the doors the trunk pops open. luckily, i have the other problem with my trunk where you have to press the trunk release button twice to open it up, so it doesnt fly completely open while driving, it stays latched but bounces up and down every single bump i hit on the road. all fuses have been checked, and i opened up my passenger door again to make sure no wires where pinched/ cut/ etc. please please i could really use advice with this, i'm running out of things to check/find out without having to bring it to a nissan dealer where they charge $$$$$ out of the @$$ just to tell you whats wrong and then more on top of that to replace it. OR, if your anywhere in south carolina i'll happily drive to you to let you personally check it out, with a 12 pack of beer of course for payment
Old 06-01-2011, 07:45 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have another key fob? Leave the one you're using now at home, and drive the car with the other one. If the problem happens with the other fob, the body control module is likely going bad.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:49 PM
fury350

Originally Posted by winchman
Do you have another key fob? Leave the one you're using now at home, and drive the car with the other one. If the problem happens with the other fob, the body control module is likely going bad.
unfortunately, never had a fob with the Z. bought it without one two years ago. just put one on order actually though earlier tonight. with the BCM though, you can install it yourself and all, but doesnt the dealer have to put certain codes in for it to crank the motor? i remember seeing someone having that problem trying to do it at their house but couldnt and took it to nissan. if thats the case, about how much would it be? i seen BCM's for around ~$150, but what about nissan's end installing it and putting the codes or whatever in???

Oh come to think of it, could the BCM actually have something to do with the window motor always going out? they last maybe 3-4 months at a time until they completely bite the dust. just thought that might help me save money in the long run with going through window motors so much since the bcm controls all electrical throughout the car.

Last edited by fury350; 06-01-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:30 PM
fury350

got a new window motor in yesterday, put it in the car, and the trunk problem went away. i spent about 20 minutes trying to repeat what usually happens with the trunk, and i cant. weird, but it worked, and the motor was under warranty, so cheap fix for that. now just to keep this motor from burning out so quickly.