Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

'03 350z...outside driver door handle wont work :(

Old 08-03-2011, 12:25 PM
kcchiefsfan1982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 350z...outside driver door handle wont work :(

My door handle on the outside drivers side quit working as of 2 days ago I do not know how to fix this problem. Has anyone else ever ran into this? Any solutions?

I am not mechanically inclined, unfortunately.

- Tim
Old 08-03-2011, 12:27 PM
nscheuermann

Damn that has to be really annoying. How do you get in your car? Roll the windows down and open from the inside?
Old 08-03-2011, 12:28 PM
kcchiefsfan1982

Originally Posted by nscheuermann
Damn that has to be really annoying. How do you get in your car? Roll the windows down and open from the inside?
get in through the passenger's side. Very ghetto. Yes, it is completely annoying.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:55 PM
nscheuermann

Originally Posted by kcchiefsfan1982
get in through the passenger's side. Very ghetto. Yes, it is completely annoying.
Man sorry to hear that bro. I unfortunately don't have any guidance to fix it though. Have you searched on here or done a google search? If another member can't help you out with this your best bet would be just to buy a new one. They aren't terribly expensive.

Here's a new one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...item256668703f

Otherwise I'm sure you could find a used one of a wrecked Z pretty easily as well. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 PM
green_bread

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is it only from the outside or does the inside handle also not work? If its just the outside handle, they are very easy to remove and inspect the cables that run to them. There is a thread in the Interior/Exterior DIY section about painting the door handles that outlines the removal.

I would say that the plastic piece that holds the cable in place is probably broken which is allowing the cable to move when you pull the door handle rather than actually pulling the cable.

Just a thought, here, as well... if the door handle on the inside works, just hold down the unlock button on your RKE as you walk up to the car and the windows will roll down. Then, you can just reach inside and open the door that way so you dont have to ghetto climb through from the passenger side and risk losing your **** virginity to a raised parking brake handle or shift ****.
The following 2 users liked this post by green_bread:
JdawgHanks (12-06-2016), Taziamoma (05-26-2016)
Old 08-03-2011, 01:30 PM
MASTERLUIE214

Its prob the door handle .... happen to me about a year after I got the car. They are made of plastic and one day my girl open my and her had slipped and the handle slamed back from then it was broken inside .....

ill bet if you take the handle off you will find it is in peaces from the inside .... well aleast mine was hole thing fell apart as i pulled it out .... hope it helps

ps: dont do it at the dealer way cheaper to do it your self...
Old 08-03-2011, 01:31 PM
kcchiefsfan1982

Originally Posted by green_bread
Is it only from the outside or does the inside handle also not work? If its just the outside handle, they are very easy to remove and inspect the cables that run to them. There is a thread in the Interior/Exterior DIY section about painting the door handles that outlines the removal.

I would say that the plastic piece that holds the cable in place is probably broken which is allowing the cable to move when you pull the door handle rather than actually pulling the cable.

Just a thought, here, as well... if the door handle on the inside works, just hold down the unlock button on your RKE as you walk up to the car and the windows will roll down. Then, you can just reach inside and open the door that way so you dont have to ghetto climb through from the passenger side and risk losing your **** virginity to a raised parking brake handle or shift ****.
yes, it is the exterior only. Interior works fine. That is interesting...I did not know that my remote could open the window...I am going to go test it now.

I have had issues where my crazy car will roll the window down by itself once i shut the door. It does this all the time! Also, if I roll it up to the point to where it automatically rolls up by itself...well, as soon as it reaches the top, it will roll itself back down again halfway lol. So i have to inch it up, a little bit at a time, to get it to stay up. SHEEESH!

Well, hopefully I can just buy a new door handle and problem solved.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:42 PM
DeAtH07

So odd. Same thing is wrong with my 05 Z. Met a new girl and she was like WTF is wrong with your car. NO GOOD. Glad i found this thread going to take it apart this weekend and fix it. I'll get back to you guys and let you know what it is
Old 08-03-2011, 01:48 PM
kcchiefsfan1982

Has anyone removed the outside door handle before? Is it easy to remove and replace with a new one?
Old 08-03-2011, 01:48 PM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep the window down and get in this way:

Also, this belongs in the tech section

Has anyone removed the outside door handle before? Is it easy to remove and replace with a new one?
https://my350z.com/forum/body-interi...tallation.html

Search is your friend

Last edited by jerseystyle; 08-03-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:56 PM
green_bread

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have had issues where my crazy car will roll the window down by itself once i shut the door. It does this all the time! Also, if I roll it up to the point to where it automatically rolls up by itself...well, as soon as it reaches the top, it will roll itself back down again halfway lol. So i have to inch it up, a little bit at a time, to get it to stay up. SHEEESH!
For this, you need to do the reset procedure so the window motor can re-learn the "limits" of the window travel.

Follow the procedure here:
http://www.*********.com/wiki/index....eset_Procedure
Old 08-03-2011, 02:32 PM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It must be replaced. It can be done quickly w a new or refurbed
Unit. You'll need some tools and prob some help.

/thread
Old 08-07-2011, 07:52 AM
DeAtH07

So I removed the door handle and it literally cracked into 2 pieces (explains why it was not working. Ordered a new one from here: http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_...ponentsIndex=9

Will post back after I have installed the new one to let you guys know how it went.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Z_NV

I am litterally having the same problem as of today. I pulled off my door handle and broken plastic pieces fell to the ground :'( I would use the remote to lower the windows but my passenger side motor has gone out and wont roll back up if I do :P

$Door handle < $Window motor haha

I too had a problem with my window rolling back down after I attempted to repair my window motor (worked for about a week) You can find the solution in the thread for how to repair your window motor. Ill be awaiting your repost to see if it works out
Old 08-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Jackson0927

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GRRRRRR. driver handle just broke in two on me

Same exact thing, take it off and the ring that the holds the spring and arm is busted to all ****.

Now I gotta buy one and get it painted black before a car show I already paid to enter on Friday.

Last edited by Jackson0927; 08-20-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Myra01

Replacing the door handle will fix this problem... I too am plagued with this issue...
Old 10-04-2011, 04:56 PM
my friend

what would be the procedure if the driver door doesn't open from inside or out?
the lock inside cant be pushed either. i got a hanger in there and all it did was raise the window.. anyone got ideas?
Old 10-12-2011, 07:24 PM
06_350Zrockstar

Well, just today my driver side door doesn't open from the outside. Works fine from the inside. I had to open the windows first (key in the hole and turn until windows went down) to get in -_- Looks like I'll be troubleshooting this crap this weekend. Thanks for all the advice!
Old 10-14-2011, 03:03 PM
m3a5g0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm sounds like a lil rash of these, mine broke 2 days ago and im actually taking a break from disassembly and looking up how mucha new one would cost. sucks.... the plastic internal piece that holds the spring broke....
Old 09-11-2012, 04:36 PM
kjr

Originally Posted by DeAtH07
So I removed the door handle and it literally cracked into 2 pieces (explains why it was not working. Ordered a new one from here: http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_...ponentsIndex=9

Will post back after I have installed the new one to let you guys know how it went.
What was the part number?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '03 350z...outside driver door handle wont work :(