Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Washer fluid not spraying

Old 09-28-2011, 05:59 AM
350havok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washer fluid not spraying

I have a 2008 350z. About a month ago I noticed that the washer fluid wasn't spraying right, it was just dribbling out of my right wiper and not at all out of my left wiper. I had used the washer a few days before and it was working fine. I took a pin and cleared the washer nozzles and nothing seemed to be blocking them. I checked the washer fluid and it was nearly full, only took about a 1/4 of a gallon to fill it up. Then I turned on the key and activated the washer, you can hear the pump running but no fluid. So I then unplugged the hose from behind the battery that leads to the nozzles from the washer tank and blew compressed air into the hose leading to the nozzles and it blew water out of the nozzle tips. I then blew air into the hose leading into the washer tank and it blew washer fluid out the top of the tank. The washer then worked for a couple of days but now its doing the same thing again. I blew out the hoses again but no change this time. I checked to see if the motor is running and when you pull the switch to wash the windshield you can hear the pump humming. Any clues? Thanks.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:09 AM
PerfZ

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Debris in the tank clogging the filter?? Just a guess, never heard of that problem as long as the pump was operating.....
Old 09-28-2011, 06:25 AM
fatrabitt

I have the same issue but have not looked into it! I will check later today and if I find the solution Ill post back!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:01 AM
350havok

Thanks, appreciate it very much!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:07 AM
cgkp0925

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pump itself may be faulty/on it's way out.

I recently replaced the driver side pump assembly on my 2009 Murano, under warranty though. It had the same symptoms as you're describing of your 2008 Z. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same part used in both vehicles; possibly.

I do own a 2003 350Z but do not have this issue. I thought this could somehow help you out if you can't seem to troubleshoot the problem anymore.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:59 PM
350havok

Here's an update. Take wheel and inner fender off to access the washer tank and pumps. All seemed fine, so I disconnected the front hose from the pump and from the front nozzles and sprayed compressed air through it. It didn't seem to have any blockage. I reconnected the hose and turned on the key and tested the washer. The front nozzles sprayed water just like when new, all the nozzles were spaying a strong jet of water. I put inner fender and wheel back on. Later in the day the windshield was dusty, so at a stop light I pulled the stalk to activate the washers and to my surprise nothing happened. The wiper blades moved but only a trickle of water came out. Back home, with the engine off I turned on the key and pulled the stalk to activate the washers and they worked like new, powerful jets of water from all the nozzles. I am at a loss as to why with the key on but engine not running, the washers work fine, but with the engine running they don't work. Any one have an explanation?
Old 10-03-2011, 02:56 AM
fatrabitt

That is weird! I had not time to check anything out yet but I will try your method to see if there is any blockage. if not Ill ask the dealership today since they owe me... ha a first!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:39 PM
350havok

I went to the dealership today and asked about my washer isssue and they did not have a clue as to why it would work normal when the key was on but engine not running and why it would not work when the engine is running. All they said was maybe it was an electrical problem.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:07 AM
cgkp0925

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I guess you'll either have to deal with it or just get it replaced.

I never tried using the washer fluid without the engine running on my Murano. But I still think the unit is going bad from my experience, as I previously stated.

I haven't had a problem since getting it replaced.

Last edited by cgkp0925; 10-07-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:18 PM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Good thing I never had to use mine in nearly 2 years
Old 10-08-2011, 06:20 AM
350havok

I'm going to replace it myself but thanks for all the info. Be safe in the Zs.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:44 AM
labelworkshop75

I am also dribbling out of one sprayer. Other one works fine. I own a 2006. Have not attempted to fix yet.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:06 PM
350havok

Well I replaced the front washer pump this morning and it did no good. So I don't know what else to do other than take it to the dealership.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:39 AM
Zatara

Has anyone resolved these issues? I an having same trikle effect with the front wipers. Divers side zilch and passenger side would drip a bit. Now neither work. I changed the front water pump but no difference.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:14 PM
l2iceman

I'm having a similar issue but with the rear nozzle...the fronts work perfectly fine bit nothing is coming out of the rears. I can hear the pump when I turn the switch for rear sprayer, but nothing comes out....was working fine the last time I used it a few months ago.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:08 AM
vagel72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 5 to 6 nozzles between both wiper arms. I notice that on mine after a while 2 or 3 of them stop working on my roadster. When that happens I get a small sewing needle and stick it in the nozzle and try to clear them out. Its usually good for 4 - 8 months before I have to do it again.

I wish there was some type of fluid we could put in tank that would help break down whatever builds up in the nozzles so I wouldn't have to do it manually like I have to do it. Maybe next time tank empties out I'll put in a 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar just about 2 - 4 cups worth and let it sit in the tank and lines for a few hours and then flush with distilled water and then see if the vinegar mix helps break down built up sediment.

Also if you use needles to unclog be careful because I believe some of the nozzles can be moved around for adjusting purposes.

White vinegar is great for that type of work. But I wouldn't let it sit for too long so it doesn't do any permanent damage to the motor. That's what I'm gonna try next time to see if helps.

Last edited by vagel72; 03-29-2015 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:31 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,265 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Wow, old post... But here's the answer guys... I see this all the time at the dealership. If you pull your wiper arms off and then the plastic cowl cover, you'll see a "Y" or "T" in the hose. That piece contains a one way check valve that is supposed to to keep fluid from draining back to the reservoir. This is so that when you activate the pump, water sprays right away and you don't have to wait for the fluid to travel all the way up the hose. That valve gets stuck sometimes. To fix it, replace that "Y" or "T". it's a cheap part, but you have to get it from the dealer.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:32 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I am now having an issue that when I try to use my rear spray, nothing comes out and I hear a trickling noise just above the hinge of the hatch, yet when I open it no water comes out. I am thinking the water line must have blown or something ( inside the roof liner or w.e it goes).
Old 10-29-2017, 05:03 PM
DonZ7

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Wow, old post... But here's the answer guys... I see this all the time at the dealership. If you pull your wiper arms off and then the plastic cowl cover, you'll see a "Y" or "T" in the hose. That piece contains a one way check valve that is supposed to to keep fluid from draining back to the reservoir. This is so that when you activate the pump, water sprays right away and you don't have to wait for the fluid to travel all the way up the hose. That valve gets stuck sometimes. To fix it, replace that "Y" or "T". it's a cheap part, but you have to get it from the dealer.
hey im pretty new to this site and i have come across the same issue. I was wondering if you had a part number for this y valve. The nissan diagrams i have seen dont seem to show this y valve and when i went to the dealer they had no idea how to find it for order.
veey much appreciated
Old 10-30-2017, 10:33 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

I didn't see the check valve on the Nissan washer system parts diagram, but I'll take i8Cobra's word on this since he knows his stuff. Assuming the washer system uses 1/4" tubing, which I think it does, some household quick connect fittings with check valves should work just fine. You can find them on
<b>Amazon HERE</b> Amazon HERE
. Just make sure by blowing into them that the check valves are going in the right direction, or you could overwork the motors or over-pressurize the system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Washer fluid not spraying