Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Stock Oil Cooler Leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Black06350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Oil Cooler Leak

I just recently bought an 06, automatic, with about 115k miles.

I started seeing a few small drips every time I parked. After a few trips under the car, and some searching on this forum, I'm pretty sure that its coming from the stock oil cooler.

So a couple of questions. Is this a common area to have oil leaks, and what is the most common cause of the leak?
It sounds like a bad O-ring between the oil pan and oil cooler is the most common problem. I want to try to have the parts ready when I get under it again, Is this O-ring the only thing that's needed if that's the case? (this is of course assuming its the most common of the oil leaks).

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2011, 03:44 AM
ericjackson

Mine was loose. The thing threaded through the middle needed to be re-tourqed down. The part that the filter screws onto. But yes, other than that, there is a large o-ring that I would replace.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:23 AM
Black06350z

Originally Posted by ericjackson
Mine was loose. The thing threaded through the middle needed to be re-tourqed down. The part that the filter screws onto. But yes, other than that, there is a large o-ring that I would replace.
What size is that piece, the bolt that the oil filter screws on to? It looks like one thread mentioned that its a larger than normal size, 22 or 24 mm I think.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:39 AM
ericjackson

Originally Posted by Black06350z
What size is that piece, the bolt that the oil filter screws on to? It looks like one thread mentioned that its a larger than normal size, 22 or 24 mm I think.
yeah i just tq'ed mine back down when rebuilding my engine. it was 22mm im pretty sure. to like 35ft lbs. check the service manual to be sure
Old 10-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Big-D28

i have that same problem...dealership put my car on lift for a full inspection and he told me to change the oil cooler seal which is a 3 dollar part shipped! and is the easiest to replace haha do it when u change the oil!. but i still have a leak i think its somewhere else dont listen to their 100 dollar quote for a fix that will take u half an hour and some elbow grease trust me! one bolt!
Old 08-27-2014, 02:02 AM
rx50cent

the guy who did my oil change today said that the oil cooler seal is leaking and another pipe underneath it was rotten, and to replace both costs $160 not including the oil change itself. said he already did the oil change but needs to wait for parts from nissan, so i told them to wait and came here hoping to get some advice. if i decide to do this myself, will i have to drain engine oil? if oil needs to be drained do you think the shop really did my oil change today and drain it again few days later to change the seal? cause i already paid for the oil change, is there a way to tell if they've done the oil change already?
and just to make sure is this the correct seal? http://www.nedautoparts.com/products...et-nissan-350z
i heard that there are 2 seals should i just change both?
can someone direct me to a thread on how to change this seal preferably with pictures?
sorry about the long post and multiple questions. help is appreciated. thanks.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:12 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by rx50cent
the guy who did my oil change today said that the oil cooler seal is leaking and another pipe underneath it was rotten, and to replace both costs $160 not including the oil change itself. said he already did the oil change but needs to wait for parts from nissan, so i told them to wait and came here hoping to get some advice. if i decide to do this myself, will i have to drain engine oil? if oil needs to be drained do you think the shop really did my oil change today and drain it again few days later to change the seal? cause i already paid for the oil change, is there a way to tell if they've done the oil change already?
and just to make sure is this the correct seal? http://www.nedautoparts.com/products...et-nissan-350z
i heard that there are 2 seals should i just change both?
can someone direct me to a thread on how to change this seal preferably with pictures?
sorry about the long post and multiple questions. help is appreciated. thanks.
any updates on this?
and also anyone know the torque spec for the oil filter screw?
Old 03-29-2016, 04:24 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

for those who have done this...does all the coolant come out of that hose? I don't want to buy another whole stock of coolant. does a little come out or all of it? thanks