Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

stock clutch replacement

Old 11-06-2011, 07:51 PM
atermechi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock clutch replacement

Hi everyone i have a 03 350z and i have about 120k miles on it and i think it is time for the clutch to be replaced as it never has been done before. There are so many different options do go with. Can anyone advise on the best priced clutch to replace the OEM. I dont do any type of racing and dont intend on really modding the car. What is the best priced clutch to get that will serve the purposes im looking for. dont need anything high performance. i am also looking to see if there is any way to make the clutch lighter as the current one is like rolling a 100lb barbel with your foot. also will i need to by a new flywheel or can they shave it. Please let me know your ideas as i dont have much money to spend.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:44 AM
knils

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should do some searching, I'm sure this has been discussed a million times.

The stock flywheel is a dual mass flywheel which means they are extremely difficult to resurface because they cannot be secured and worked on normally because it is two pieces. There is a guy at this machine shop in new england that I remember built a custom rig for this and offers his services but it would take me a minute to find it again. There is another shop in the middle of the country that offers the same service, they have done hundreds they say. Again do some searching you will find it. Otherwise you are looking at buying an aftermarket flywheel and clutch combo which means big bucks. Start saving you bought a 350z not a civic. As far as the clutch pedal effort, hit the gym bro don't be a p*ssy.

Last edited by knils; 11-07-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:13 AM
atermechi

Originally Posted by knils
You should do some searching, I'm sure this has been discussed a million times.

The stock flywheel is a dual mass flywheel which means they are extremely difficult to resurface because they cannot be secured and worked on normally because it is two pieces. There is a guy at this machine shop in new england that I remember built a custom rig for this and offers his services but it would take me a minute to find it again. There is another shop in the middle of the country that offers the same service, they have done hundreds they say. Again do some searching you will find it. Otherwise you are looking at buying an aftermarket flywheel and clutch combo which means big bucks. Start saving you bought a 350z not a civic. As far as the clutch pedal effort, hit the gym bro don't be a p*ssy.
I have the money for this. Were can i get the best deal on a clutch and flywheel combo together? i did do research but all i can find is info on high performence aftermarket clutches. And as far as being a p*ssy and going to the gym, i'm a gym rat and I was on the high school football playing safety. This clutch is just to damn heavy (maybe cuz it has 120K origianl mile on it). I really just want somthing to replace the stock clutch and flywheel dont really care about how much power it can handle.

thanks
Old 11-09-2011, 12:36 PM
atermechi

bump any1
Old 11-09-2011, 01:53 PM
LaoSiFu

just in case I am selling my used OEM clutch if you are interested.

~Robert
Old 11-09-2011, 02:21 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by atermechi
I have the money for this. Were can i get the best deal on a clutch and flywheel combo together? i did do research but all i can find is info on high performence aftermarket clutches. And as far as being a p*ssy and going to the gym, i'm a gym rat and I was on the high school football playing safety. This clutch is just to damn heavy (maybe cuz it has 120K origianl mile on it). I really just want somthing to replace the stock clutch and flywheel dont really care about how much power it can handle.

thanks
When shopping for a clutch-flywheel terms like "high performance" and stages can be worthless. If it looks like a OEM clutch it will perform similar to a OEM clutch.

Name:  l2100clutch.jpg
Views: 1434
Size:  39.9 KB
Above clutch is about $446.

Name:  competition-clutch-steel-flywheel.jpg
Views: 1420
Size:  58.2 KB
Add flywheel for $370. Total $816.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Itzcashew

Go to the vendor section. Theres a combo deal on a EXEDY OEM clutch (same one they sell to you at the dealership) and a ACT 16lbs. Flywheel for $680 shipped.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:43 PM
atermechi

Originally Posted by LaoSiFu
just in case I am selling my used OEM clutch if you are interested.

~Robert
how many miles on it?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:44 PM
atermechi

thanks guys. Im going to contact a vendor and get the clutch and flywheel together.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:23 PM
LaoSiFu

how many miles on it?
have about 60k. if you are local you are more than welcome to see it

~Robert
Old 11-11-2011, 12:49 PM
atermechi

Originally Posted by LaoSiFu
have about 60k. if you are local you are more than welcome to see it

~Robert
got a really sick deal on a new Exedy just need a flywheel
Old 11-12-2011, 08:33 AM
LaserRedB5

if it feels like you're pushing down on a 100lbs barrel then i dont see how its still stock. My stock clutch isnt as light as my Audi clutch was, but really has no true muscle needed to push it down.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:19 AM
big_dish

Which Exedy did you get? I found this one: http://www.88rotors.com/exedy-clutch...ssan-359z.html for $269... (my clutch is going too)... My question is this: it says the Exedy is OEM- does that mean the OEM flywheel (refinished) matches up? If so, it would probably be less expensive to find a shop that can refinish your OEM flywheel.

Not sure if it is compatible or not, but if this is the same Exedy you bought, its worth asking.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:42 AM
atermechi

edit

Last edited by atermechi; 01-18-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:43 AM
atermechi

Originally Posted by big_dish
Which Exedy did you get? I found this one: http://www.88rotors.com/exedy-clutch...ssan-359z.html for $269... (my clutch is going too)... My question is this: it says the Exedy is OEM- does that mean the OEM flywheel (refinished) matches up? If so, it would probably be less expensive to find a shop that can refinish your OEM flywheel.

Not sure if it is compatible or not, but if this is the same Exedy you bought, its worth asking.
sorry for the late response. i haven't had time to take my car in to have the clutch replaced. i have the OEM replacement clutch from Excedy the NSK1000 but mine didnt come with a new flywheel. were you able to resurface the flywheel? please let me know. and again sorry for the late response
Old 01-18-2012, 11:39 AM
chillah7889

my clutch just went bad recently. I personally opted for a JWT clutch and light flywheel combo. Did my research and found that its a very nice clutch/flywheel combo for a DD. Cost was about $775. Plus I'm replacing slave and master cylinders, and clutch line. Depending on where you get the work done except to pay quite a bit for the actual labor. My labor for clutch/flywheel install was 400, got it done by a Nissan mech who did it on the side for me. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:08 PM
atermechi

Originally Posted by chillah7889
my clutch just went bad recently. I personally opted for a JWT clutch and light flywheel combo. Did my research and found that its a very nice clutch/flywheel combo for a DD. Cost was about $775. Plus I'm replacing slave and master cylinders, and clutch line. Depending on where you get the work done except to pay quite a bit for the actual labor. My labor for clutch/flywheel install was 400, got it done by a Nissan mech who did it on the side for me. Good luck.
i have friend who is a mechanic and we grew up together i just pay for parts and he will do the labor for me. i just need to know if i can pair any flywheel with the excedy oem replacement clutch. On a side note why are you replacing the slave and master cylinders, and clutch line?
Old 01-18-2012, 12:19 PM
chillah7889

i have friend who is a mechanic and we grew up together i just pay for parts and he will do the labor for me. i just need to know if i can pair any flywheel with the excedy oem replacement clutch. On a side note why are you replacing the slave and master cylinders, and clutch line?
Got a nice deal and got the new clutch line free. My slave cylinder was going bad so decided to replace both of them now to avoid having to take back into shop later on. As for flyhweel I'm not sure, I got both of them together to be on the safe side but more experienced members would be answer that question better. And on free labor lol
Old 01-18-2012, 03:42 PM
big_dish

sorry for the late response. i haven't had time to take my car in to have the clutch replaced. i have the OEM replacement clutch from Excedy the NSK1000 but mine didnt come with a new flywheel. were you able to resurface the flywheel? please let me know. and again sorry for the late response
Yeah I went with the Exedy clutch. My friends shop works mainly on Euros, and generally BMWs (which I think all have dual mass flywheels) so I was able to keep my stock flywheel and they refinished it. You need the right tools and the right machinist to do such a thing though. If you were to search and find such a place, it would be well worth it (rather than paying for a new stock clutch).
Old 01-18-2012, 09:49 PM
chaparro78

a lighter flywheel may come with some rattling sound. Thou a lighter flywheel will enable the power to come a bit quicker, it will also lose more power in between shifts. The reason the OEM flywheel is heavier is so when you shift, power isn't lost.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stock clutch replacement