Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rear wheel click, video inside.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 05:35 AM
DCJodon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel click, video inside.

I need some help with this noise, my rear endlinks need replacing, but I'm not sure if this noise is related or not. Excuse my videographer.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:12 PM
DCJodon

This seems to go away when it's hot out, or when everything gets warmed up back there.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:18 PM
ZS14RR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Normal with these cars. Don't hang yourself over it.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:52 PM
350zbehold

dont know hard to tell...u just been plague one out of million of noises that no one on this board seems to know...the only way to find out where is jack it up and inspect..if that doesnt work . start spending money on elemination process...just like me...been trouble shooting a noise in my front passsenger and i have no ****ing ideas waat it is and been replacing parts left and right
Old 07-10-2012, 01:43 PM
DCJodon

Originally Posted by 350zbehold
dont know hard to tell...u just been plague one out of million of noises that no one on this board seems to know...the only way to find out where is jack it up and inspect..if that doesnt work . start spending money on elemination process...just like me...been trouble shooting a noise in my front passsenger and i have no ****ing ideas waat it is and been replacing parts left and right
I did get it up on a jack, throw the car in neutral, and just kept spinning the damn thing. Of course, it didn't make a single noise. This car is owning me.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:53 PM
350zbehold

Originally Posted by DCJodon
I did get it up on a jack, throw the car in neutral, and just kept spinning the damn thing. Of course, it didn't make a single noise. This car is owning me.
well now that u know it only does it when there load on the suspension.... check for brake shim , check for arms that bend , check the bearing ? or check for the endlink....ball joint....
Old 07-14-2012, 09:07 AM
DCJodon

Going to try to get under the car tomorrow, if anyone else has input, let me know.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:32 PM
sheamus86

Sounds like the notorious axle "Clink" to me. However in my experience it only makes a single clink when launching.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:45 PM
DCJodon

Originally Posted by sheamus86
Sounds like the notorious axle "Clink" to me. However in my experience it only makes a single clink when launching.
I'm going to tighten the bolts that attach the axle to the diff with an impact. If the noise returns, I'll get in there and regrease/replace everything specified from the TSB.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:57 PM
DCJodon

Spent many hours last night on the garage floor.. Ripped out the axle, regreased it, cleaned, cleaned the shaft in the hub. Tightened every bolt I could find. Got it back on the ground. Sure enough, it's still making the noise. I'm raising the white flag.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:22 PM
sheamus86

Put it up on stands again and see if you can wiggle the tires, check for freeplay this will tell you if it is the wheel bearing. Also, does the "clink" get progressively faster as you speed up?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:43 AM
DCJodon

Originally Posted by sheamus86
Put it up on stands again and see if you can wiggle the tires, check for freeplay this will tell you if it is the wheel bearing. Also, does the "clink" get progressively faster as you speed up?
Yes, it does get faster. It only occurs at speeds under ~20mph. I do remember checking the bearing for play, but I didn't get any. I'll get it up again and check once more. This is becoming pretty annoying, and it is quite loud.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:01 PM
350zbehold

do me a favor... jack the car up... and check where the axle bolted into the diff , then check the diff bushing and see if it ever been remove
Old 07-19-2012, 07:33 PM
DCJodon

Originally Posted by 350zbehold
do me a favor... jack the car up... and check where the axle bolted into the diff , then check the diff bushing and see if it ever been remove
I've already retorqued the axle-->diff bolts.

Also, did a mod change the thread title? I swore I wrote clink instead of click. This is definitely NOT a click noise. It is a metallic clinking, like if you were to hit two large screwdrivers together.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:44 AM
DCJodon

Bumping this. Received a PM from another member with the EXACT same issue and noise. Again, this happens on acceleration and deceleration from the range of ~5-20 mph. Once up to normal speeds the sound stops. This seems to happen on some days, and not others, haven't noticed a definite pattern. I have already regreased and tightened the axles on both sides of the car. Mine is happening on the pass. side, his, the driver's. Here's his video he sent me:

http://youtu.be/vh1nPH-I9bE[/QUOTE]

Is this a bearing issue? My rear brakes are shot, could they be causing this noise?
Old 09-18-2012, 12:06 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to tighten the bolts that attach the axle to the diff with an impact. If the noise returns, I'll get in there and regrease/replace everything specified from the TSB.
Betting this is the solution, the famous rear axle clicking as described in the NiSSan TSB.

TSB states to replace the bolts!!!!
that is how I solved my rear axle clicking sound.
Keep us posted

Last edited by 350ZTheStandard; 09-18-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:07 PM
DCJodon

Originally Posted by 350ZTheStandard
Betting this is the solution, the famous rear axle clicking as described in the NiSSan TSB.

TSB states to replace the bolts!!!!
that is how I solved my rear axle clicking sound.
Keep us posted
Again, this is not the same sound as described from the TSB; a click on takeoff. Was your click the same as ours? He will be replacing his wheel bearing and will let me know if it fixes it.

Last edited by DCJodon; 09-18-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:41 PM
albertsZ

anyone? I pulled the rotor off and checked the bearing and hub. The bearing and hub look fine.. I have the part but dont want to install it yet because I really don't think its the bearing. Anyone have any other clue what it could be? I know we arent the only two who has had this problem.. thanks.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

You may want to follow up on the brakes thought.

It could be the pads not retracting enough and as you speed up, you're pushing them out and making the sound go away.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:37 PM
rallysportdirect
Vendor - Former Vendor

If it is not the rear axle I the only other thing I could say that sound could be a slightly warped rotor that his barely touching the heat shield or you said the sound will go away when it get hot or is hot outside. The thin heat shield could be bent and flex and contract in the temperature change. I had a dent on a old beater car that would not show up bad when it was cold and pop out on it own when it was hot. This was because of the metal expanding and contracting. Could be the same with the heat shield in the back against the rotor. Just a thought though

Thanks,
Dallin

Last edited by rallysportdirect; 09-20-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel click, video inside.