Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Timing DTC codes after rebuild.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:06 AM
ericjackson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing DTC codes after rebuild.

Ok, let me start with this. I did most of the rebuild other than the bottom end myself. I have experience with the timing chain and this is not the first time. but i know i can make mistakes. However, I am 99.99% sure that the timing chain was installed correctly as well as the vtc sprockets. The only reason i am not 100% sure now is because of these codes. The codes are below.

P0021 'A' Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 2)
P0113 Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

I am going to re-do the timing chain, but my question is, are there ANY other things that could cause this? Bad camshaft sensors or VTC solenoids, or maybe even getting the spark plug wires mixed up?

I lined up the vtc sprocket chains on the circles on the RH bank and ovals on the LH bank with the gold links. (or whichever works out where the exh cam pin is at the top and small hole on int cam is at top) Also made sure that the crank was turned to #1 at TDC. and the red link was on the correct notch on the crank and the yellows were on the markers for the vtc sprockets.

The engine itself runs good other than idle. i was thinking maybe the MAF was bad or needed cleaning, but then i pulled these codes and found this. Could the bad idle (constantly wants to die, and if at 2-3k and let off throttle, it almost always dies) be a result of the timing being off? I figured it would run bad through all RPMs as well.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2012, 05:46 AM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like you have one intake cam off position. The intake air high input code may or may not be related, if you have it way advanced and the car is pumping exhaust into the intake manifold then that may explain it, but you'd have to check the timing first and see.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:57 AM
ericjackson

Can you tell which cam from that code? is A the intake cam? and bank 2 maybe LH side?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:06 AM
shakuya88

From the FSM here si everything that could cause this code it's for the intake valve timing on bank 2 (driver side)

• Crankshaft position sensor (POS)
• Camshaft position sensor (PHASE)
• Intake valve control solenoid valve
• Accumulation of debris to the signal pick-up
portion of the camshaft
• Timing chain installation
• Foreign matter caught in the oil groove for intake
valve timing control

Eliminate the sensors since there isn't a code for those so chances are those are fine. They are easy to check though, so you may still want to to be on the safe side. More than likely the chain is off by 1 tooth.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:11 AM
ericjackson

Originally Posted by shakuya88
From the FSM here si everything that could cause this code it's for the intake valve timing on bank 2 (driver side)

• Crankshaft position sensor (POS)
• Camshaft position sensor (PHASE)
• Intake valve control solenoid valve
• Accumulation of debris to the signal pick-up
portion of the camshaft
• Timing chain installation
• Foreign matter caught in the oil groove for intake
valve timing control

Eliminate the sensors since there isn't a code for those so chances are those are fine. They are easy to check though, so you may still want to to be on the safe side. More than likely the chain is off by 1 tooth.
hah. so pretty much everything. thank you. Ill go ahead and take it down. i have an oil leak from the upper oil pan anyway i have to fix. i was just hoping to take that somewhere to fix where they have a lift. because im sick of laying on my back in the garage. but i do not want to pay someone to fix this timing issue.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:43 AM
djamps

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Intake temps come from the MAF, so you at the very least have an electrical issue between the MAF and the ECU. That could be the same issue affecting other stuff... because it what you think things are is it. Loose ground, pinched/reversed harnesses, ect ect. Bank 2 is on the same side as the MAF harness BTW.

Last edited by djamps; 09-26-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:41 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the cams wont effect idle (as they are set to 0 degrees), unless you truly did miss a tooth on the VTC chain.

I'd get/borrow a cipher cable and log your VTC position. Could be your cam sensor, could be the IVT solenoid, or it could be the VTC gear itself.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:04 PM
ericjackson

Originally Posted by str8dum1
the cams wont effect idle (as they are set to 0 degrees), unless you truly did miss a tooth on the VTC chain.

I'd get/borrow a cipher cable and log your VTC position. Could be your cam sensor, could be the IVT solenoid, or it could be the VTC gear itself.
one thing i do know is my MAF tube has been laying in the garage exposed for the better part of a year. and I have not cleaned it. But please explain the VTC gear itself situation... I used another gear from another DE that I am replacing because the dowel pin fell out of the one I was using.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:10 AM
ericjackson

Originally Posted by djamps
Intake temps come from the MAF, so you at the very least have an electrical issue between the MAF and the ECU. That could be the same issue affecting other stuff... because it what you think things are is it. Loose ground, pinched/reversed harnesses, ect ect. Bank 2 is on the same side as the MAF harness BTW.
I want to touch on this as well. im curious about this because i was thinking i had one more ground because of a bolt on the front of the timing case. See the picture below, the blue circles are the grounds i have on the engine. the yellow circle is a bolt i had 'halfway unscrewed' that i usually do to indicate something needed to be tightened back down on that. but like i said, the project turned into almost a year and I basically forgot what everything looked like. Can anyone confirm those are the only 3 grounds in blue on the front of the engine? I do not see anything on the harness that is not connected.

Thanks.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:36 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

only the 3 grounds you have pictured in blue. The left 2 tie the battery/starter/alt to the frame and the right one is for the coils/injectors
Old 10-16-2012, 03:47 PM
350zion
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:18 PM
ericjackson

Originally Posted by 350zion
Any updates?
Not really. I opened it back up and redid the timing. No more codes. And I cleaned the maf. Still got an oil leak however
Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 AM
ericjackson

update on this. found the oil leak.... doh. everyone take your time putting things like this back together! 2 $4 o-rings costs me months of headache

Old 12-11-2012, 12:57 PM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

props for figuring it out yourself.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:28 PM
MR RIZK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

were the o-rings missing or damaged? Good to see that u did the work your self
Old 12-14-2012, 01:32 PM
ericjackson

Originally Posted by MR RIZK
were the o-rings missing or damaged? Good to see that u did the work your self
Oh they were missing... BECAUSE i did the work myself. I started thinking a couple weeks ago that i didnt remember putting them back in
Old 12-14-2012, 01:49 PM
eZg

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Drinking beer??
Old 12-14-2012, 01:50 PM
ericjackson

Originally Posted by eZg
Drinking beer??
Ha is there any other way?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:43 AM
ericjackson

well i got this all put back together. no more leak thank goodness. idles really rough tho and still throwing the p0021 code for that came sensor, bank 2. Im guessing that sensor is bad and needs to be replaced.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:03 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have a dvom its very easy to check

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing DTC codes after rebuild.