Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

crashed my 350Z -.- now what

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:03 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
That is what I was thinking. I have swerved at highway speeds a few times, most recently last Friday to avoid a blown tire in the lane, and at no point did I not feel in control. The car was planted and very easily controlled.
Possible worn tires? I notice the dude brake at first but then got off the brake. Why would he do that? If you start braking (hard) the tires starts to brake lose, then you accelerate, and you get a spin. Over correct and you spin out. I think he couldn't decide whether to brake or accelerate or what. Probably an inexperience driver.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:23 AM
Doggman9

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 92K1500
All these old people talkin crap.

I bought my Z in 2008 with 55k miles on it a month after I graduated high school (18 years old).

I still daily drive my Z in 2014 (24 years old now) and it will be clicking over to 110k on my drive home from work today.

I've been in 1 accident in it because I decided to abide by the traffic laws and stop at a stop sign. The pickup behind me decided I shouldn't have stopped and ran into me. Minor cosmetic damage, didn't wrinkle the fender like the guys above.

Have I driven my car like a jackass? Yes.
Do I have full coverage insurance? Yes.
Did I pay my car off a year early without any of mommy and daddy's help? Yes.
Do I understand the consequences of having fun in my car and not driving like a grandpa? Yes.

Age doesn't have anything to do with it. I know plenty of 25+ year olds that don't know how to drive. It all comes down to the individual.
+1 idiots are idiots regardless of age. I got my Z at age 19 (paid in full day 1, full coverage, no accidents, 1 $302 speeding ticket.. ) I drive like a hooligan most of the time just not stupid about it
Old 06-23-2014, 12:25 PM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
That is what I was thinking. I have swerved at highway speeds a few times, most recently last Friday to avoid a blown tire in the lane, and at no point did I not feel in control. The car was planted and very easily controlled.
Mine was a road rage incident and not too awful long ago.

Two people driving side by side blocking up the highway going 5-10 under and I was running late and getting irked. One started to go faster so I got behind them, then they slowed down and the other sped up. I moved over there, they slowed down too. Moved back over and as soon as I got a gap big enough to shoot through I dropped to 3rd and punched it. Got a little tire squeal and a slight wiggle as I cut douchebag A off but it straightened out quickly and took off.

Not the brightest idea but people do stupid things when they are mad.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:27 PM
92K1500

Originally Posted by Doggman9
1 $302 speeding ticket.. )
$411.50 on my bike, plain speeding. Not reckless driving or anything else, let me keep the bike and my license.

Nicest highway patrolman ever. He even dropped my speed 54mph on the ticket from what he clocked me at.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:39 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

If you were going 140+ you shouldn't have stopped. Ganked off the next exit. It's not running if you didn't see him following
Old 06-23-2014, 01:20 PM
92K1500

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
If you were going 140+ you shouldn't have stopped. Ganked off the next exit. It's not running if you didn't see him following
I never saw him but I was on a toll road which has limited exits and I just ran it up to top it out (I ended up backing out early because I ran into a little patch of traffic) and I slowed down to just cruise with them.

It was 6:30 on a Sunday morning headed into town (I was leaving work) and there was nobody in sight so I thought I would see what she would do.

Cop ended up seeing me and eventually caught up (charger hi-po) and he got the car in front of me in the left lane and me at the same time.

$411 is better than a felony.

I had 2 exit options ahead of me (over a 10 mile stretch) and after I left there and headed on home there was a crown vic with someone else pulled over just before my next exit. I would have been screwed.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:23 PM
92K1500

The pickup cop I passed while doing 120 on the bike is a different story. I saw him up ahead and thought it was just like a Nissan with a roof rack. I focused on the "roof rack" as I got closer then it lit up and I said ****, didn't jump or twitch or look at him. Just tucked in a little tighter and rolled into the throttle. Then dove off at the next exit, went through a neighborhood and popped out in a different part of town to take the back roads to work.

My only 2 experiences with cops and high speed.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Caidrac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was a road rage incident and not too awful long ago.

Two people driving side by side blocking up the highway going 5-10 under and I was running late and getting irked. One started to go faster so I got behind them, then they slowed down and the other sped up. I moved over there, they slowed down too. Moved back over and as soon as I got a gap big enough to shoot through I dropped to 3rd and punched it. Got a little tire squeal and a slight wiggle as I cut douchebag A off but it straightened out quickly and took off.

Not the brightest idea but people do stupid things when they are mad.
Christ, I think I would have done the same thing! I want to kill those people! (Hey NSA, the previous statement is what's known as hyperbole.)

I never saw him but I was on a toll road which has limited exits and I just ran it up to top it out (I ended up backing out early because I ran into a little patch of traffic) and I slowed down to just cruise with them.

It was 6:30 on a Sunday morning headed into town (I was leaving work) and there was nobody in sight so I thought I would see what she would do.

Cop ended up seeing me and eventually caught up (charger hi-po) and he got the car in front of me in the left lane and me at the same time.

$411 is better than a felony.

I had 2 exit options ahead of me (over a 10 mile stretch) and after I left there and headed on home there was a crown vic with someone else pulled over just before my next exit. I would have been screwed.
A good radar detector can be had for less than $411! I bought one recently, and it saved me for sure twice, and quite possibly several times more... F the NYS highways!

To the OP, I agree with most here, but I don't blame you, I blame your parents. Of course you are going to drive the coolest car you can get your hands on! But I am old enough to be your father, and if that were the case, you'd be driving a 10 year old Focus worth $1200...

I work in the auto body business, and I remember a story from a couple years ago about an affluent family gifting a 2007 BMW M5 to their high school graduate... That idiot ROLLED that car on the first drive BEFORE MAKING IT TO THE END OF THE DRIVEWAY. In my humble, conservative, probably A-hole opinion, That move was not unlike putting a loaded firearm in the hands of an adolescent...

Last edited by SR71; 07-01-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:35 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Caidrac
That move was not unlike putting a loaded firearm in the hands of an adolescent...

Last edited by iideadeyeii; 07-02-2014 at 06:39 AM. Reason: better