Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

roadster top question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:31 PM
tom1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roadster top question

Hi everyone, I have a bright yellow '05 roadster, with 17,000 miles on it. (really, I just bought it a few months ago) I have noticed when I put the top down, it stops the first attempt just before it retracts all the way. I raise it up a little bit, and re-close it, and it finishes the process. Is this normal, or a precursor to problems waiting for me in the near future? Any feedback would be appreciated. I love this car, and pamper it probably more than I need to. (you don't need to go fast...you just need to look cool!!)
Old 05-26-2014, 11:34 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Tom, This is not an uncommon problem. The number two bow (this is the steel cross bar directly above your head when the top is up) has a pivot on each side, but is not pulled by linkage into a folded position like the other four bows. It simply falls back to nestle towards the 3rd bow as the top descends into the storage hatch. If the bow hangs up a bit and fails to fall backwards into position it will jam up the procedure.

To help initiate the rearward movement of the 2nd bow there are two lightly tensioned elastic straps fastened between the 2nd and 3 bow (you can see them from inside the car). If these become weakened the 2nd bow may not fall into position sometimes, as you are experiencing. Nissan supplies a revised version of these straps to fix this problem. Next time you lower the top try giving the 2nd bow a light nudge backwards with your hand to confirm that this is your problem.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:41 AM
tom1968

Bingo!! when I give that bow a slight nudge backwards, the top retracts flawlessly!! Now what do you recommend? Is the dealer upgrade expensive? If I continue to nudge the bow towards the rear is that acceptable? Thank-you so much for your advice!
Old 05-27-2014, 10:47 AM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

The part number for the up-graded elastic straps is 97150-CE01B. Check if they are packaged signally or in pairs, as you need two of them. They come with all the hardware needed to install and are about $45 each from a online Nissan parts dealer like Courtesy Nissan, usually about 40% more from your local Nissan parts dept. The rivets holding them on are pretty soft. So if you’re handy with a drill and rivet tools it only takes a slight hit with a sharp drill bit to knock the head off the existing rivet to remove the old strap. Then just install the new rivets to fix the new strap. If you look at the way the strap is fastened it’s pretty self-explanatory. (Don’t slip and drill through the top though!)

If you want a professional to handle this, don’t go to the dealership, they typically suck at this type of thing and most of them sub out anything to do with convertible tops to traveling Gypsies or so it seems. Go to an Auto Upholstery/Trim shop that specializes in convertible top replacement. They really understand how these things work and also can supply a generic type of strap if you want them to handle all the details of the job. They will also show you what routine maintenance you should be performing on your top.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:16 AM
Rollintiger

I called my local dealer and he said $74 and some change for the kit and you need 2! WTF 150 for 2 straps!