Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rear end tick sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:24 PM
SharX59

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rear end tick sound

Hello all!

So a couple of months back my z develope a rear tick sound. Every time I would take off from first the sound would occur and also going from reverse to first. Now I know there is a grease issue with the rear axels, so I went ahead and regressed the affected areas. However, the car still makes the rear end tick. It seems that the car makes the tick however only when the rear end squats (aka when power is initially transferred to the rear). With this being said, the car will make a slight tick after accelerating from any gear.

If anyone has any idea what this may be please do chime in.

Thank you.

P.s. For some reason I am thinking it's the coilovers creaking (but that may sound stupid)
Old 06-28-2014, 09:37 AM
JYoza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SharX59
Hello all!

So a couple of months back my z develope a rear tick sound. Every time I would take off from first the sound would occur and also going from reverse to first. Now I know there is a grease issue with the rear axels, so I went ahead and regressed the affected areas. However, the car still makes the rear end tick. It seems that the car makes the tick however only when the rear end squats (aka when power is initially transferred to the rear). With this being said, the car will make a slight tick after accelerating from any gear.

If anyone has any idea what this may be please do chime in.

Thank you.

P.s. For some reason I am thinking it's the coilovers creaking (but that may sound stupid)
Would you describe this tick sound as kinda like a spring tension being released. That initial sound? I get the same thing like for example I will be backing out of my drive way, come to a stop, put into first gear, and when the power begins to get transferred and I begin to move a tick sound will come for a split second. I think it's the clutch but i can't explain what it is. I get that sound from the front of my car.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:38 AM
myfirstzcar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've done the axles, then it's most likely the sway bar links. The ball joints inside them dry out and squeak.
You can replace them or pierce the rubber boot and spray some grease in them. I lube mine once every year and they haven't squeaked since.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:44 AM
myfirstzcar

.....It's actually more of a "creaking" sound. Try backing onto some uneven ground or pushing down on the rear.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:50 AM
Squag27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like rear end links, happened to mine a few months ago.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:32 AM
SharX59

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JYoza
Would you describe this tick sound as kinda like a spring tension being released. That initial sound? I get the same thing like for example I will be backing out of my drive way, come to a stop, put into first gear, and when the power begins to get transferred and I begin to move a tick sound will come for a split second. I think it's the clutch but i can't explain what it is. I get that sound from the front of my car.
Exactly!

Thanks guys for the replies. I'll look into some endlinks and/or relubing them. What kind of lune should I use?
Old 06-28-2014, 12:41 PM
myfirstzcar

Any kind of spray can grease with a straw will work.