Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Melted wires in harness behind battery!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 01:40 PM
Turbo332

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Melted wires in harness behind battery!

Hi all,

(2007 roadster)
I was running my amp power cable today through the grommet behind the battery/fuse box area, and I noticed that some of the wires in the smaller bundle that passes near that grommet have melted through their insulation
and caused some burning/corrosion of the wires (see images below). Pretty fortunate that I saw this before something bad happened. I have yet to notice anything amiss with the car. So my question is, how bad is this? I don't want a band-aid fix like separating and re-wrapping the wires since they look to be in rough shape. Is this going to be an awful ($$) repair? The car had a full audio system installed a few years back (I'm adding a monoblack amp to run a bigger sub, it currently has an 8" getting 200W), and I'm wondering if something could have happened during this install to cause a short and melt the insulation. It is a reputable installer and maybe they would be willing to help out if they could have caused it. Anyway, if anyone knows what these wires are for or how to go about getting a repair please let me know. I'd hate to just roll up to the dealer and get bent over, but if I have to then that will be that.

Thanks for any input!
Attached Thumbnails Melted wires in harness behind battery!-photo-2.jpg   Melted wires in harness behind battery!-photo-1.jpg  

Last edited by Turbo332; 07-05-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 956 Likes on 721 Posts

separate and isolate.

As long as none of them have shorted or broken all you gotta do is separate and wrap in tape. Take your time and do it cleanly.

Wires do car about much...just continuity and no shorts.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Turbo332

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I went with this route, and after getting into it more it wasn't as bad as it looked. Only one wire (red+white stripe) had lost most of its insulation and was easily covered. The rest was just some corrosion from the exposed wire.

Still a bit strange to me how one wire would suddenly overheat and cause this. Hopefully it doesn't cause any issues or get any worse!