Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Seat belt pretenioner help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 11:33 AM
BKruahnndon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat belt pretenioner help

Hey all, long time lurker here. I've been looking into an SRS warning light for a few months now since I will be selling the car soon. I bought the car about 1.5 years ago with full disclosure that the light was blinking following a stereo install from a good guy. Funny thing is, today as I was searching, I found this thread, and I'm 99% certain it's the car I purchased:
https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...er-wiring.html

Anyway, I attached a few pics of the splice job. The pass airbag was actually unplugged as well, but this... this is some incredible work! No tape or heat shrink or anything. The plug appears aftermarket maybe because of the difference in wire color? How can I be certain of polarity? This has been a major headache for the last several months with no answers, so here I am!

The diagnostic code does point to the RH seat belt pretensioner circuit. To my knowledge (and carfax) the airbags have never been deployed/no wrecks. I really don't want to take it to a dealer with it looking like this, but I'm nearing the end of my patience.

Edit: Pics are the Passenger (RH) side. One close up and one further out. I'm still confused as to why the wire was cut, but all I care about now is fixing it!
Attached Thumbnails Seat belt pretenioner help-20140721_131423-1-.jpg   Seat belt pretenioner help-20140721_131445-1-.jpg  

Last edited by BKruahnndon; 07-21-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:15 AM
BKruahnndon

Nobody?
I went ahead and soldered the wires together, hoping for a better connection, but the light still blinks with the same 1-flash diagnostic error for the RH Pretensioner.

Do I just need to take it to the dealer at this point?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:36 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Sorry to say, not many of us have had any experience with diagnosing wiring SRS issues. I'd certainly suggest a factory trained tech is what you need...
Old 07-23-2014, 08:59 PM
jtbinvalrico

Brother, that car's been wrecked, regardless of what carfax says. Someone did a hatchet job on that pretensioner......they hacked something in to make the seat belt work. Evidently, the SRS computer is unhappy with the results.

If you want to be able to sleep at night after selling it, drop the two bills it's gonna cost for a new seat belt / pretensioner assembly. Start climbing around underneath it and you'll find where it got whacked.

Bad things can happen if that pretensioner fires when it shouldn't. Fix it right.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:59 PM
BKruahnndon

Thanks for the help guys, looks like I'll be making an appointment with the dealer.

dkmura - I just moved to Greeley, you know any good shops and/or nissan dealerships in NoCo by chance?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:20 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by BKruahnndon
Thanks for the help guys, looks like I'll be making an appointment with the dealer.

dkmura - I just moved to Greeley, you know any good shops and/or nissan dealerships in NoCo by chance?
Welcome to Colorado. Your local Nissan dealer will be Emich Nissan, which I don't know much about. A more performance oriented dealer would be Boulder Nissan just a bit SW of you. Try logging into CONOC.net for more Colorado Nissan news.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:42 AM
BKruahnndon

So, just to update anybody that may have this issue in the future:
after checking the wiring (most of it anyway) I decided the problem had to be either in the SRS diagnostic unit or the pretensioner itself. I sent in the computer to airbagsystems for a reset and also ordered a new pretensioner igniter from them. The combination of the two items, whether I needed both, I don't know, but the SRS light has been off for 3 days now. and seems to be fixed.

I visited the dealer and they seemed pretty wary of even taking on the project, and recommended just a new SRS computer at $800. I figured the $50 gamble based on my symptoms was worth it to try a reset. So far, so good!