Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Can't bleed clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:24 AM
nismo785

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't bleed clutch!

Hi everyone, so I recently replaced my clutch, with a Z1 motorsports clutch on my 05 and I'm having problems bleeding the clutch. I replaced the master and slave cylinder and also put a new stainless steel braided clutch line. I don't know why my pedal just stays to the floor. It won't build enough pressure for it to come back to me at all. I contacted z1 and they said it could be a hydraulic issue and for me to keep bleeding. If anyone could help please and thank you!
Old 07-24-2014, 05:14 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Why not describe what technique you used to bleed the clutch with? Also, did you bench bleed the master?
Old 07-24-2014, 09:37 PM
nismo785

Ya I've tried a couple methods including the bench bleeding, but the one I kept doing over and over was the regular, pour some brake fluid pump a couple times and crack the bleeder open as I'm holding to the floor, close the bleeder then slowly pump it a couple times but not pressure being built whatsover.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:34 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I know when I changed the rubber line on mine last year and went to gravity bleed it and check the pedal, something happened and it went dead to the floor too. Probably compressed all of the air that got in there because the first two times the pedal felt OK.
It was a pain. From what I have read over the years, once it goes to the floor and won't come up it takes forever. It took me over an hour to start to get it back. It comes back a fraction of an inch at a time.
I don't think you've given enough detail to figure out what else may be wrong in your situation but give the old fashioned pump, hold, open close bleeder a good long try before looking into other things.
Personally I couldn't get mine back to normal until I put my pressure bleeder on it and messed around with two different methods while the pressure was hooked up. It was once of those things that you wonder if the car will ever be right again.
Good luck!
Also search for clutch pedal threads. There is a specific procedure someone listed with how to do pedal pumping bleeding step by step including how long to wait in between steps to make any progress. I think it had something to do with the limiting orifice that's located on the firewall that prevents you from doing a clutch dump too quickly and how long it may take for bubbles to settle to the other end of the system, etc. He claims if you don't take the timing into consideration you may take like 10x longer to bleed it than if you are patient and wait in between steps.
The following users liked this post:
iReZ (07-27-2023)
Old 07-25-2014, 08:09 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

So you're using the two-person method of bleeding the clutch?
Old 07-25-2014, 10:18 AM
nismo785

Yea I'm doing the two person method. I was thinking of maybe upgrading to a better master cylinder like the one zspeed performance sells as a kit. The wilwood master cylinder, reason is because I notice on the past two cheap master cylinders I've replaced has a leak on the push rod that hooks up to the pedal. The leak slowly comes out.

Last edited by nismo785; 07-25-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-27-2023, 07:16 PM
iReZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the only bleeder on the slave under the car? Or is there a way to bleed it from the top? Is the slave on the driver's side?