Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

03 wont shift to 2nd at high rpm's

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Fooodyummy727

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 wont shift to 2nd at high rpm's

So i have an 03 touring, just got it with 160,k miles runs great! Im into drifting and the other day i was taking a left turn i did a burn out into a drift from a stand still and when i shifted to second it didn't go into gear it revved up (because i had my foot on the gas) like it was in neutral but the shift **** was in the place of second then i shifted to third with no problem but Later that day when i got off work i tried to do another drift to see if the it had another problem and from a stand still in 1st i started peeling tires and turning i wasn't paying attention to my rpm's but i was at rev limiter just the right time to shift second and i got my shift **** in the place of 2nd but it revved up again like it was in neutral. It only does this when im high in the rpm's and trying to spin the tires and drift i haven't tried drifting the past couple days because i don't wanna cause any more damage it drives fine, shifts fine when low-mid rpm's i just haven't tried getting on it because I'm scared of causing more damage help would greatly be appreciated, thank you!
Old 08-07-2014, 01:05 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

This happened to me a few times when I first got my car. Let me find the thread I recall people answering about what caused it.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:08 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Found it! Sorry it's actually not helpful lol.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...h-problem.html

Seems like you are experiencing the same problem. Mine did it a few times then hasn't done it since. I also don't really drive like that anymore so that is probably why.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:42 PM
Fooodyummy727

The day it happened the car had a unique smell something i cant describe but on a level of burnt rotten eggs but i don't know what burnt rotten eggs smell like so idk might go get my car scanned see what pops up

Last edited by Fooodyummy727; 08-07-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:00 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A slipping clutch can smell pretty bad.

If the clutch was hot from slipping, the disc may start dragging on the flywheel and/or pressure plate. That would make it difficult to shift since the synchronizers wouldn't be able to get the speed of the transmission parts matched up. And there's always the chance that the synchronizers are wearing out, too.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:26 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

You should let off when you shift
Old 08-08-2014, 12:15 AM
Fooodyummy727

I was thinking that my clutch is bad since i was smelling that smell but every thread I've read none describe any of my problems. Does anyone know what all could be damaged? I'm just going to go through the trans flush everything and get new clutch, fly wheel, stainless steel lines and i need a new throw out bearing anyways so might as well get one of those while I'm down there.. If this fixes it ill definitely reply

Last edited by Fooodyummy727; 08-08-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:33 AM
Fooodyummy727

Default If my synchro's are bad? Worn out? Would they make any noise?

My car has no noise besides the throw out bearing even when i push the clutch, change gears, its over all quiet. And i want to get a clutch that could take daily driving/drifting with no problem so it should really fix this

Last edited by Fooodyummy727; 08-08-2014 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:00 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Great thread. Another teen-aged street drifter douchebag on the public roads, and this one's even in my area. Please just drift your Z into the bay and get back into a nice fwd Honda where you belong.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:26 AM
Fooodyummy727

Default Lmao

If a 17 year old can buy his 1st car with his own hard worked money then i can do wtf i want. i was being complete safe about it, with no one around. Ive been getting really good, practicing at empty parking lots for no cop or anyone to be found. Im no dumbass, i appreciate the stuff i buy because i had to work my *** off for it. I like the car game i just dont know **** about cars. Im good at working on stuff because i grew up working on dirtbikes just not cars so i force my self to study on my own because i wanna learn about them. Ive read many threads but cant seem to find one with my problems so i created one. Now go troll on facebooks 350z page
Old 08-08-2014, 05:39 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

No, you can't just do "wtf" you want. The reason is that when you get hurt, and/or injure others, someone like me will have to take care of you. I also pay higher insurance rates because of jerkoffs like you, just to name two reasons why you cant do "wtf" you want. Funny how I knew your age - think it was just a guess?
Old 08-08-2014, 05:40 AM
Unicus

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
Great thread. Another teen-aged street drifter douchebag on the public roads, and this one's even in my area. Please just drift your Z into the bay and get back into a nice fwd Honda where you belong.
People like you anger me. Some people want to build their car to show, some want to drift, some want to race and some want to rice. What someone does with their vehicle isn't your business.

Originally Posted by Fooodyummy727
If a 17 year old can buy his 1st car with his own hard worked money then i can do wtf i want. i was being complete safe about it, with no one around. Ive been getting really good, practicing at empty parking lots for no cop or anyone to be found. Im no dumbass, i appreciate the stuff i buy because i had to work my *** off for it. I like the car game i just dont know **** about cars. Im good at working on stuff because i grew up working on dirtbikes just not cars so i force my self to study on my own because i wanna learn about them. Ive read many threads but cant seem to find one with my problems so i created one. Now go troll on facebooks 350z page
Respect, similar situation myself. Good luck with fixing your issue, but all I can say is you shouldn't be shifting during a drift...at all.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:58 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

wow, you are going to make friends on here real fast. and you were not safe about it. you were on a public street. if you want to be safe, go to a drift event, otherwise you will Dugan your car in no time
Old 08-08-2014, 05:59 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Unicus
People like you anger me. Some people want to build their car to show, some want to drift, some want to race and some want to rice. What someone does with their vehicle isn't your business.
when he does it on a public street it is everyones business.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:08 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

You're in my house now. Bish.

Originally Posted by dcains
No, you can't just do "wtf" you want. The reason is that when you get hurt, and/or injure others, someone like me will have to take care of you. I also pay higher insurance rates because of jerkoffs like you, just to name two reasons why you cant do "wtf" you want. Funny how I knew your age - think it was just a guess?

Originally Posted by Unicus

Respect, similar situation myself. Good luck with fixing your issue, but all I can say is you shouldn't be shifting during a drift...at all.
Did your mother shake you when you were a child? Look at dcains response, it's everyone's business what mutts like you choose to do on public streets.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:09 AM
ErkTheJerk73

Received 718 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee9374
when he does it on a public street it is everyones business.
unless he can power out of the turn!
Old 08-08-2014, 06:10 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by ErkTheJerk73
unless he can power out of the turn!
rim'd up with a killer system.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:23 AM
350zHalleck

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another retard Dugan on the forum. You wanna drift like DK do ya OP? well find a track. I hope you don't take anyone else out with you when you kill yourself. Go buy a honda. It'll do what you're looking for much better than the Z will.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:29 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Why do all teenagers think they've "worked their *** off"? How much could you have possibly worked in your life by 17? What, do you pick up extra shifts delivering Dominos and think its hard work?
Old 08-08-2014, 06:46 AM
lifekenophobic

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

So i have an 03 touring, just got it with 160,k miles runs great! Im into drifting and the other day i was taking a left turn i did a burn out into a drift from a stand still and when i shifted to second it didn't go into gear it revved up (because i had my foot on the gas) like it was in neutral but the shift **** was in the place of second then i shifted to third with no problem but Later that day when i got off work i tried to do another drift to see if the it had another problem and from a stand still in 1st i started peeling tires and turning i wasn't paying attention to my rpm's but i was at rev limiter just the right time to shift second and i got my shift **** in the place of 2nd but it revved up again like it was in neutral. It only does this when im high in the rpm's and trying to spin the tires and drift i haven't tried drifting the past couple days because i don't wanna cause any more damage it drives fine, shifts fine when low-mid rpm's i just haven't tried getting on it because I'm scared of causing more damage help would greatly be appreciated, thank you!
So you JUST got a Z with 160k miles on it, and your first priorities were to beat the **** out of it as much as possible? On top of that, you admit to having little to no knowledge of how to actually fix things that break on a car. You are not a drifter, and I doubt your Z is even set up anywhere near an actual drift car. I'm not sure what you were expecting to gain from this post, but this was not the forum for it.

Good luck. Sounds like you're really gonna need it.

Quick Reply: 03 wont shift to 2nd at high rpm's