Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Headlight still not emitting the same amount of light

Old 08-09-2014, 02:10 AM
Angel55

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight still not emitting the same amount of light

Couple years ago i had an accident that involved my passenger side headlight to be replaced. Here's the whole story
https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/572836-one-headlight-is-not-as-bright-as-the-other.html

People assumed it was the bulb that was the problem when i assumed it was the headlight changed. Immediately changed both my headlight and the bulbs back to oem and it was worst.

Later on, i changed to aftermarket HID kit and the brightness double compare to my 08 oem stock HID, which is terrible by the way. However i still have issues with the passenger side not emitting the same amount of light as my driver side. Here are some pics

Headlight still not emitting the same amount of light-image.jpg
Old 08-09-2014, 02:18 AM
Angel55

Old 08-09-2014, 04:15 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

First, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the OEM HID headlight bulbs and ballast, so I have no clue why you would switch those pieces to anything aftermarket. So, let's eliminate that issue by putting back the OEM ballsats and bulbs, if possible. Hopefully, you didn't hack up any of the original wiring during the install. If you did, I can't help you, because who knows what you did? If you can install back to OEM, and still have the problem, do this:

The best (only) way to solve this issue is by parts substitution. First, swap the bulbs left<>right. If the problem moves, it's the bulb. If not, switch the ballasts left<>right. If the problem moves, it's the ballast. If not, and this will seem odd, switch the entire light assembly left<>right. Of course, you can't bolt the lights to the car, but you may be able to see a brightness difference. If the problem follows the light assembly, that's it. Perhaps there's corrosion or damage inside the projector assembly? Or the bulb holder is damaged in some way? Do this with the bumper removed (a 10-minute task) to make the troubleshooting easy.

EDIT: Are you sure this isn't a simple aiming issue? Looking at the lights projected on the garage door, they look about the same, because they're so close to the door. But, when you project the beam down the road, if the right light was aimed very low, it could look like what you're showing in the other pics. Check this first.

Last edited by dcains; 08-09-2014 at 04:28 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:19 AM
Angel55

Originally Posted by dcains
First, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the OEM HID headlight bulbs and ballast, so I have no clue why you would switch those pieces to anything aftermarket. So, let's eliminate that issue by putting back the OEM ballsats and bulbs, if possible. Hopefully, you didn't hack up any of the original wiring during the install. If you did, I can't help you, because who knows what you did? If you can install back to OEM, and still have the problem, do this:

The best (only) way to solve this issue is by parts substitution. First, swap the bulbs left<>right. If the problem moves, it's the bulb. If not, switch the ballasts left<>right. If the problem moves, it's the ballast. If not, and this will seem odd, switch the entire light assembly left<>right. Of course, you can't bolt the lights to the car, but you may be able to see a brightness difference. If the problem follows the light assembly, that's it. Perhaps there's corrosion or damage inside the projector assembly? Or the bulb holder is damaged in some way? Do this with the bumper removed (a 10-minute task) to make the troubleshooting easy.

EDIT: Are you sure this isn't a simple aiming issue? Looking at the lights projected on the garage door, they look about the same, because they're so close to the door. But, when you project the beam down the road, if the right light was aimed very low, it could look like what you're showing in the other pics. Check this first.
I appriecate the immediate response dcains. But i have already changed the bulbs and the assembly to oem and the problem is still the same.

I did not however swap the wiring to see the difference. So i will check on that and the adjustment on the bulb. I let you know what happens if it resolve my issue.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:26 PM
aireoh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if anyone is still having this problem all you need to do is buy a long phillips screw driver if you don't already have one, and stick it in the slot right above, behind your headlight. all you're basically doing is adjusting the headlight so it shines higher.

i believe theres a couple DIY guides on how to adjust your headlights, if not PM me. i'd be more than happy to explain how.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:24 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by aireoh
if anyone is still having this problem all you need to do is buy a long phillips screw driver if you don't already have one, and stick it in the slot right above, behind your headlight. all you're basically doing is adjusting the headlight so it shines higher.

i believe theres a couple DIY guides on how to adjust your headlights, if not PM me. i'd be more than happy to explain how.
^^^This.