Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Please Help with these white spots on

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 12:35 AM
ti837

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help with these white spots on

So I went on vacation for 5 days and when I came back my car has these white spots that popped up out of nowhere. I heard that when I was away there was a severe storm that came by but I'm not sure if thats what caused it. These white spots are on every single panel of my car expect for the driver door and panel behind.

My main problem I am having is that I called Geico and made a claim that my paint has been damaged. But after having a inspector take a look at it, she told me that shes never seen anything like this and that "most likely" it caused by clear coat fading due to my car being 9 years old. I argued with her that I'm not sure all these white spots will pop up in a matter of days because of old paint and also on every single panel of my car.

I'm really hoping someone here has seen something similar and can tell me what caused this so I can report it to the insurance company.
Attached Thumbnails Please Help with these white spots on-1.jpg   Please Help with these white spots on-2.jpg   Please Help with these white spots on-3.jpg   Please Help with these white spots on-4.jpg   Please Help with these white spots on-5.jpg  

Please Help with these white spots on-6.jpg   Please Help with these white spots on-7.jpg  
Old 08-11-2014, 05:01 AM
frocker93

Lick your finger and see if it's on the surface. It looks like clear beginning to seperate and eventually peel. You may not have noticed it before now because when you got back I'm sure you were looking to see if anything had happened.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:31 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I would take the Z to a good detail shop and have them look at it. I suspect the spots can be removed with a good polish.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:20 AM
yellowandfast

Mine is a black 2005 and the clear coat has started to peel in small circles. Get it inspected, just like the previous poster said.

Richard

richchim3@aol.com
Old 08-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That's your clear coat going. This is why your car should have some type of shade for the majority of the time. Car cover, garage, car port maybe even under a tree that doesn't sap or will have a bunch of debris falling off. If it's daytime I always have my car cover packed in the trunk of my cars to protect it from the sun. Wax or whatever you use will just get burned off within a few days of being in the sun.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:28 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Clear coat failing.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:42 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

Looks like you had a car cover on it and moisture got in, then the car sat in the sun cooking it in the clear.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:32 PM
Jah70

Originally Posted by SR71
Looks like you had a car cover on it and moisture got in, then the car sat in the sun cooking it in the clear.
It depends if the cover was breathable or not or UV treated. Non breathable or waterproof covers will do that. Anything that prevents air from passing through and water to evaporate through the cover.

Last edited by Jah70; 08-11-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:39 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Clear coat starting to fail, a machine polish by a quality detailer should rectify this.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:27 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems pretty typical for the nissan red as mine is starting to do the same.Machine polishing will not help failing clear coat.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As others have said, your clear coat has failed and there is nothing that you can do but get it repainted

I had the same issue with my NISMO wing and no matter what I did with my Orbital Polisher it made no difference

Red colored Nissans are known to have this issue more severely than other colors too
Old 08-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Jah70

Originally Posted by Waiz
As others have said, your clear coat has failed and there is nothing that you can do but get it repainted

I had the same issue with my NISMO wing and no matter what I did with my Orbital Polisher it made no difference

Red colored Nissans are known to have this issue more severely than other colors too
Red is my favorite color too. Looks like I'm sticking to gray, silver or gun metal if I ever get a 370.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:25 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

You said: “So I went on vacation for 5 days and when I came back my car has these white spots that popped up out of nowhere.”

Many replies to your thread state that the problem is a failing clear coat. Although that is certainly a possibility, it’s highly unlikely that your car’s clear coat will fail within the timeframe you noticed (5 days).

I would follow KornerCarver’s advice and take the car to a high-end detailer who will determine the problem and its solution.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:47 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My old beater had the clearcoat fail. It started to peel more and more each year. I never fixed it because that requires new paint.

It will be costly unless you cover it up with plastidip, ive seen people do that (wouldn't suggest it).
Old 09-23-2014, 09:58 AM
ti837

Default Clear coat peeling from under

I have a 2004 redline 350z. So back in July i went on a vacation for 3 days and when I came back I noticed all these white spots on my car. After looking at it closer I noticed that the clear coat is pretty much separating from the paint. This is on every single panel of my car. I called geico and tried to put a claim in, but they told me that it is sun damage and will not cover it. I explained to them that this happened in a matter of 2 days and its very hard to believe that I can get clear coat failing on every panel in 2 days. Anyone else seen anything like this, or has there been a defect in my model?
Attached Thumbnails Please Help with these white spots on-1.jpg   Please Help with these white spots on-2.jpg   Please Help with these white spots on-3.jpg   Please Help with these white spots on-4.jpg   Please Help with these white spots on-5.jpg  

Please Help with these white spots on-6.jpg   Please Help with these white spots on-7.jpg  
Old 09-23-2014, 10:19 AM
bb17

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ti837
I have a 2004 redline 350z. So back in July i went on a vacation for 3 days and when I came back I noticed all these white spots on my car. After looking at it closer I noticed that the clear coat is pretty much separating from the paint. This is on every single panel of my car. I called geico and tried to put a claim in, but they told me that it is sun damage and will not cover it. I explained to them that this happened in a matter of 2 days and its very hard to believe that I can get clear coat failing on every panel in 2 days. Anyone else seen anything like this, or has there been a defect in my model?
I wonder if you had some acid rain or other contamination blow through during that time. Can you ask your neighbors if they remember anything like that during that time?
Old 09-23-2014, 11:13 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

A good detailer might be able to color sand and buff it out.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:19 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Was your car sitting near an in ground sprinkler system? The water from those can be terrible for your paint if they were spraying while the sun was out.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:54 PM
bb17

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
Was your car sitting near an in ground sprinkler system? The water from those can be terrible for your paint if they were spraying while the sun was out.
Good point, could just be mineral etching from hard water. This has happened to my car before. Just had to break out the dual action polisher and go to town on the car. Turned out looking better than ever!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:56 PM
michael815

I have an 03 redline and mine did the same thing. Detailing will not help. It is the underside of the clear.
But this goes away ( really it does) when the weather gets cooler. Then does it angain when it's out in the hotter summer heat.
I live in South West Florida. It is definitely a sun (hot weather thing).

Quick Reply: Please Help with these white spots on