Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Major oil consumption on 06 Revup Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 04:43 PM
BikesNZs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Major oil consumption on 06 Revup Z

Hey guys, I picked up my first Z this spring its an 06 6 speed with 142k as of today. The car was bone stock and in excellent shape especially for the mileage. I have added a few basic bolt ons to the car since I've had it (popcharger, test pipes, catback, stock tune). I started to notice the car blowing blue smoke shortly after the test pipe install and its been continually getting worse. Now i'm leaving clouds of smoke on acceleration, the harder the acceleration the more smoke. Friends have told me they noticed some smoke at idle and it blows a cloud of blue smoke when you rev it. I have been going through about a quart every 100-200 miles.

So far I have done a compression and leakdown test, replaced the pcv valve, and removed upper plenum to check the intake for oil. My compression results were about 185 on all cylinders and I had 3-5% leakage on all cylinders. PCV valve seemed fine but I did have oil in the intake. However I couldn't tell if it was just dirty from the higher mileage. Spark plugs all had ashy deposits on them so I would think that its burning oil on all cylinders. Going to do a more thorough check again soon. I don't seem to have smoke on startup. I can't tell if it smokes on deceleration.

The car runs fantastic otherwise, it idles smooth, pulls hard and gets good gas mileage. Im having a hard time pinpointing the cause of the issue since my compression and leakdown results were near perfect. PCV valve also seems to be functioning properly. From the research I have done my best guess is that my oil rings are toast or my valve stem seals/valve seals are bad. Is there any way I can be 100% sure on whats causing this before going to drastic measures on tearing down the motor/rebuilding it or replacing it?
Old 08-11-2014, 04:57 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...iscussion.html
Old 08-11-2014, 05:34 PM
BikesNZs

Ive heard of the TSB but my car is 8 years old and has 142k it wouldn't be covered anyway.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:44 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by BikesNZs
I have been going through about a quart every 100-200 miles.
Ill be the first to say pull up your man pants and add oil, but holy cow thats a lot of oil.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Bigsyke

Originally Posted by BikesNZs
Hey guys, I picked up my first Z this spring its an 06 6 speed with 142k as of today. The car was bone stock and in excellent shape especially for the mileage. I have added a few basic bolt ons to the car since I've had it (popcharger, test pipes, catback, stock tune). I started to notice the car blowing blue smoke shortly after the test pipe install and its been continually getting worse. Now i'm leaving clouds of smoke on acceleration, the harder the acceleration the more smoke. Friends have told me they noticed some smoke at idle and it blows a cloud of blue smoke when you rev it. I have been going through about a quart every 100-200 miles.

So far I have done a compression and leakdown test, replaced the pcv valve, and removed upper plenum to check the intake for oil. My compression results were about 185 on all cylinders and I had 3-5% leakage on all cylinders. PCV valve seemed fine but I did have oil in the intake. However I couldn't tell if it was just dirty from the higher mileage. Spark plugs all had ashy deposits on them so I would think that its burning oil on all cylinders. Going to do a more thorough check again soon. I don't seem to have smoke on startup. I can't tell if it smokes on deceleration.

The car runs fantastic otherwise, it idles smooth, pulls hard and gets good gas mileage. Im having a hard time pinpointing the cause of the issue since my compression and leakdown results were near perfect. PCV valve also seems to be functioning properly. From the research I have done my best guess is that my oil rings are toast or my valve stem seals/valve seals are bad. Is there any way I can be 100% sure on whats causing this before going to drastic measures on tearing down the motor/rebuilding it or replacing it?
I was going through 1/2qt every 200 miles. I noticed this after the test pipe install. I had to get an oil pan spacer for the extra security.

After much research, I reinstalled the OEM cats. The first few miles, the passenger side cat was smoking bad enough that I was thinking about bringing a fire extinguisher with me every where I go.

About 200+ miles so far, and i haven't had much oil consumption. I know that I am not alone on this theory. Something about test pipes cause our rev-ups to puke oil into the exhaust.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:51 PM
BikesNZs

^^^interesting theory. Just did an oil change and after adding several quarts of oil over the past month I was over 2 quarts low on oil. WTF????