Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Nissan "Express Service"

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 06:35 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Nissan "Express Service"

So I needed an oil change in my 350z.

Decided to lookup this express service from Nissan. I saw my local dealer offered an oil change in 30 minutes no appointment needed.

I go there and told him I wanted this express service. He said I need an appointment but I could wait for the two cars ahead of me. He said the wait just to be seen was 30-40 minutes. Wtf Nissan. Then I'm sure the "30 minute oil change" would be 1.5 hours like the last time.

The high school aged techs came out and looked at my z. I'm sure they were disappointed they couldn't joy ride in it. I have caught techs taking it on the road more than one time. There is no need for this, simply park it in the lot and let me drive home.

Where do you guys get oil changes? I never get real work done at the dealer way too much money at $107 per hour.

Additionally one of my older receipts says they used 6 quarts of oil. Definitely beware of this dealer.

Name:  IMAG0781_zpsdc5da45_edit_1408805807296_zpsdaq75vb4.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  61.9 KB

Last edited by oldschool350z; 08-23-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:52 AM
Bellisima_Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just go to Jiffy Lube for my oil changes i figure as long as they use Mobil 1synthetic it's all good.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:01 AM
NOLAGG

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do it your self. Unbelievably easy?
Old 08-23-2014, 08:07 AM
oldschool350z

Originally Posted by NOLAGG
I live in a complex where in our lease it states we can't work on vehicles in the driveway. I would assume because of oil or fluids leaking on the pavement.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:19 AM
Bellisima_Z

Originally Posted by NOLAGG
Kind of a PITA IMO since you have to remove that plastic protective cover under the car, i think it's like $60 at Jiffy Lube and your in and out in 20 min or less... To me is worth the money for the convenience.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:33 AM
oldschool350z

Originally Posted by Bellisima_Z
Kind of a PITA IMO since you have to remove that plastic protective cover under the car, i think it's like $60 at Jiffy Lube and your in and out in 20 min or less... To me is worth the money for the convenience.
Yeah the underbody plastics are pretty much a pain lol.

Not to mention you really have to jack the vehicle up and honestly that is unsafe. I would rather take it somewhere and not do it myself.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:36 AM
Bellisima_Z

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
Yeah the underbody plastics are pretty much a pain lol.

Not to mention you really have to jack the vehicle up and honestly that is unsafe. I would rather take it somewhere and not do it myself.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:15 AM
NOLAGG

Originally Posted by Bellisima_Z
Not when you don't know who is working on your car, what oil and amount their actually using and how tight three filter is put on.things you laugh at now but could cost you in the future.I never trust "jiffy lube places on my z let alone any car.They are good for quick tire patches and what not
But that's just my opinion
Old 08-23-2014, 09:28 AM
jv350z

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I used to rent a bay-lift for $20/hr at a local u-do-it place, then I just started going to a local quick-oil-change place (non-chain) and bring my own oil (Mobil 0w40) and filter and he charges me $20 cash...in and out in a jiffy!
Old 08-23-2014, 10:05 AM
NismoDude

Originally Posted by jv350z
I used to rent a bay-lift for $20/hr at a local u-do-it place, then I just started going to a local quick-oil-change place (non-chain) and bring my own oil (Mobil 0w40) and filter and he charges me $20 cash...in and out in a jiffy!
This.

I do use jiffy-lube, but they only charge me $24.95.

I bring a 5 qt jug of synthetic oil and a filter from walmart or auto zone (costs me about $30 for both), and I usually stand around and shoot the **** with the tech while he works on my car so I can watch and make sure it is done right.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:06 AM
oldschool350z

I agree. You really don't know.

I used to work at a local Nissan dealer and they have the young techs do the oil changes. One kid forgot to tighten the oil plug and oil came out all over someone's driveway from their new maxima.

Nobody will be as nice to your car as you would be.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:14 AM
oldschool350z

Can anyone confirm that from my receipt the dealer over filled my engine?
Old 08-23-2014, 10:15 AM
NismoDude

I agree. You really don't know.

I used to work at a local Nissan dealer and they have the young techs do the oil changes. One kid forgot to tighten the oil plug and oil came out all over someone's driveway from their new maxima.

Nobody will be as nice to your car as you would be.
Yah, and honestly, in my experience, I have had the WORST experiences at dealers.

Took my wifes Inf QX56 in for service once, I suspected then had not been rotating the tires so I marked the inside of the fronts with white crayon, sure enough, the car is driven out to me "ready to go", I ask "were the tires rotated?", the guys say "yes, sir", I look and the crayon marks were right there on the front tires, I say, "can you ask your technician if he is sure he rotated them", he calls the guys up who says "yep I rotated them myself", at this point I showed them the crayon marks.

His face turned red and he stuttered and mumbled something about "how did that happen", then they took it back and rotated.

I get home, park in garage. A few hours later I back out and see oil on the floor. I get under the car and they had NOT tightened the drain plug. It was on finger tight and had loosened/ backed out enough on the way home for a slow drip.

I think the oil change places do a good job.

They don't want the liability of any problems, and because it IS a simple task, they train their techs pretty good. I like how they even start the car after oil change while someone still under car in the bay to verify a seal/ no leaks.

Last edited by NismoDude; 08-23-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:15 AM
NismoDude

Can anyone confirm that from my receipt the dealer over filled my engine?
Just check your dipstick.

More likely they used 1/10th of that 6th quart so they could charge you for it.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:19 AM
NOLAGG

I guess I'm just **** like that.if you trust them and have good experiences then hey spend the money and have it done.me personally will always do atleast my.own oil forever lol let alone every thing else
Old 08-23-2014, 10:24 AM
oldschool350z

Thanks guys for the input. I think it's really a hassle to change myself. I, one of those guys that generally doesn't like to work on cars. I did however install my own window motor

I personally don't trust the techs, and I hear them always rev it up when I'm waiting . I think it's unprofessional and makes me very nervous. I'm **** about my cars just pisses me off when people don't treat it as I would.

I also would change my oil but I would be worried if I tightened everything enough and such.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:57 AM
NOLAGG

Thanks guys for the input. I think it's really a hassle to change myself. I, one of those guys that generally doesn't like to work on cars. I did however install my own window motor

I personally don't trust the techs, and I hear them always rev it up when I'm waiting . I think it's unprofessional and makes me very nervous. I'm **** about my cars just pisses me off when people don't treat it as I would.

I also would change my oil but I would be worried if I tightened everything enough and such.
If you can change a window motor you can change your own oil.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:17 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I just change my own oil. I use jack stands so it is perfectly safe to work underneath the car. It is pretty simple and I think most anyone could do it.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Dealsgap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I call them first..

I get my oil changed at my dealer also. My tactic is to call a bit before I leave the house just to see how "backed up" they are. I deal with a couple of service managers and know them well.

If it appears its going to be a long wait I'll just put it off a day or so...
Old 08-23-2014, 03:46 PM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

People pay other people to do an oil change? even if the plastic tray was a valid excuse for it being a pain in the ***, take all that money you saved and but the Z speed aluminum tray and bam 1 screw no problem.

On a side note,
Moble 1 makes my car run like crap. They use to be decent oil but I know they have cheapened it up a bit recently, with less of the high temp chemicals. Run Amsoil for a change, every VQ35 I have owned (3 of them) love it. I can feel a huge difference between mobile 1 and ams, thats how bad it was.

Quick Reply: Nissan "Express Service"