Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

08 HR 6MT clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 06:24 PM
gossf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 HR 6MT clutch issue

Hi, I am the owner of an 08 350z with 88k miles. I purchased it at 84k. I do not know if it is on the original clutch. I have been having a problem with the clutch. When I powershift from any gears but 1-2, the clutch will slip it's self down from the redline rather than just grabbing, and there will be quite a strong clutch smell. At first I figured, okay, its just a factory clutch, not suprising that it can't hold powershifting, but then I noticed it can't even hold quick shifting. When I get on the gas while getting off the clutch simultaneously at high rpms, the clutch slips its self out, almost as if I was slowly letting it out myself. It doesn't have any other issues than this, it takes off just fine and can hold a reasonable launch. It doesn't slip in any other situations, and it will always grab eventually, just takes too long in some circumstances. I've been told this may be the CSC, or might it just be the pressure plate going out? Thanks!
Old 09-02-2014, 06:55 PM
tommy smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this took a long time to figure out

Originally Posted by gossf
Hi, I am the owner of an 08 350z with 88k miles. I purchased it at 84k. I do not know if it is on the original clutch. I have been having a problem with the clutch. When I powershift from any gears but 1-2, the clutch will slip it's self down from the redline rather than just grabbing, and there will be quite a strong clutch smell. At first I figured, okay, its just a factory clutch, not suprising that it can't hold powershifting, but then I noticed it can't even hold quick shifting. When I get on the gas while getting off the clutch simultaneously at high rpms, the clutch slips its self out, almost as if I was slowly letting it out myself. It doesn't have any other issues than this, it takes off just fine and can hold a reasonable launch. It doesn't slip in any other situations, and it will always grab eventually, just takes too long in some circumstances. I've been told this may be the CSC, or might it just be the pressure plate going out? Thanks!
Change your clutch disk/pressure plate/ & the flywheel. There are many good brands out there. I had good luck with a H.D. ACT street clutch set up & a stillen aluminum fly wheel. It took a long time & I understand it might be controversial but do consider it.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:35 PM
gossf

Originally Posted by tommy smith
Change your clutch disk/pressure plate/ & the flywheel. There are many good brands out there. I had good luck with a H.D. ACT street clutch set up & a stillen aluminum fly wheel. It took a long time & I understand it might be controversial but do consider it.
I was planning on doing a clutch job and just using the jwt kit in the future, but if I had a slave cylinder issue that would eat the new clutch I wanted to rectify that first. Do you believe there is no slave cylinder issue present?
Old 09-02-2014, 11:20 PM
trustr888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I agree with Tommy. The symptom of a bad slave cylinder is if it sticks. Look at the videos below and that should answer that question. There also has been a thread on it. I believe it was called 07 NHTSA. It's been a pretty well documented occurrence. Some people have had it happen stock, while others have had it due to using an upgraded clutch setup. With that being said the upgraded clutch setup exceeds the OEM clamping force of the stock clutch. If your going to replace the clutch you might as well go ahead and do the hydraulics. I did the same thing and went for the ZSpeed HD CSC and Master cylinder. Hit up Joe @ ZSpeed on here and he can point you in the right direction.

As for clutch slippage, put the car in 5th gear at say 40 mph and floor it. If it revs up and you don't feel the car's speed increasing the clutch is on its way out. The video below is a good example so you have an idea.

Last edited by trustr888; 09-02-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:28 PM
gossf

Originally Posted by trustr888
Yeah, I agree with Tommy. The symptom of a bad slave cylinder is if it sticks. Look at the videos below and that should answer that question. There also has been a thread on it. I believe it was called 07 NHTSA. It's been a pretty well documented occurrence. Some people have had it happen stock, while others have had it due to using an upgraded clutch setup. With that being said the upgraded clutch setup exceeds the OEM clamping force of the stock clutch. If your going to replace the clutch you might as well go ahead and do the hydraulics. I did the same thing and went for the ZSpeed HD CSC and Master cylinder. Hit up Joe @ ZSpeed on here and he can point you in the right direction.

As for clutch slippage, put the car in 5th gear at say 40 mph and floor it. If it revs up and you don't feel the car's speed increasing the clutch is on its way out. The video below is a good example so you have an idea.

G35 Clutch slipping at 19000 miles??? - YouTube

2008 350z vq35hr clutch problems 1 - YouTube

2008 350z vq35hr clutch problems 2 - YouTube
I have no slipping in any gear when accelerating, and when floored in 5th or 6th, there is no slip at all. I do notice that ever since I did a clutch adjustment (turning the shaft behind the petal, read that It would make the car better to drive) I have low pressure at the top, it barely trips the cruise control sensor by its self, and its real bad in the mornings when the engine is cold. I didn't notice this before the adjustment. Would that be indicative of a slave cylinder problem as well as a failing clutch?
Old 09-03-2014, 09:16 PM
trustr888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have none of those symptoms listed above, then in theory you are good. Seems everything is in working order. As for a failing CSC, it will have a stuck clutch pedal as I have stated in the previous post with the video.

Last edited by trustr888; 09-03-2014 at 09:18 PM.