Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Shifter knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 10:32 PM
Koolsilver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shifter knocking noise

So I know the shifter rattling and vibrating in the Z is a common problem and has been gone over several times; however, I believe the situation I am dealing with isn't quite the same. This noise coming from my shifter area is quite loud and almost always there. It is so loud and bad sounding it sounds like a bad engine knock but I know for sure it is coming from the shifter. I have removed everything down to the bare shifter and started putting everything back on one at a time to try to find the culprit. What it seems I have found is that the vibration is coming from the transmission and being amplified through the body of the car. With everything removed I can't really hear any of the noise; but that of course is pretty hard to judge since I'm hearing all the exhaust and transmission noise coming straight through. As soon as I put the second rubber boot on the sound is amplified significantly. The sound is loudest in 4th gear and is only heard under acceleration. I have noticed that if I press down in the bottom right corner of the rubber boot I can almost eliminate the noise. Now I am very confused as to what is causing the noise and what can be done to stop it. I am thinking it may possibly be some type of mount since it seems to only happen under acceleration which would lead me to believe it could possibly be some part being torqued a certain direction causing it to come in contact with something. This theory is further backed by the fact it is loudest in 4th gear making me think that whatever it is being forced into contact with is near the 4th gear position. Any possible insight into this would be great, I don't want to start blindly ripping stuff apart and replacing things that don't need to be.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Koolsilver

Just want to add my transmission is very loud in general has the cement mixer flywheel at idle and has the grinding noise in low rpm driving. I'm not sure if maybe the flywheel issue is causing so much vibration to transmit it through the shifter.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:51 AM
Danc9552003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a somewhat similar issue, but not exact. I just changed to a jwt clutch/flywheel combo, and all I've read is about clutch chatter. Also have read that once installed it actually sounds like your car is broken. I think this is a horrible description because if your car is actually breaking, you just keep driving until something major happens.

With mine I will be cruising on the highway, take it out of gear and can almost hear a whining noise start. Then, with the shifter in neutral (still cruising about 55mph) I can feel a knocking/jarring feeling in the shifter, ONLY when I'm moving the shifter to the right in between 5th & 6th gear. For my issue, I'm thinking its either something major inside the transmission, or something not torqued down correctly.

With yours to me it sounds like something isn't torqued down correctly. But I'm not sure.. any change in the last week??
Old 09-16-2014, 08:51 AM
Koolsilver

Thanks for the reply. No changes, honestly my car has been doing this for over a year and every once in a while I just get the itch to try to fix it finally but lately it's been really annoying me so I'm out to really fix it. I haven't noticed mine whine or anything when out if gear like you are describing. As far as something not being torqued down it could be a possibility but I'm not sure because I've never done any work to the transmission but maybe the previous owner has.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Koolsilver

Any ideas?