Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

5AT transmission vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 07:51 AM
waldo36

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5AT transmission vibration

So I was running late to work the other day and cruising at 90 down the interstate. When I see out of the corner of my eye the shifter vibrating front to back very rapidly. It wasn't continuously doing it, it would vibrate for a few seconds, stop, vibrate, stop very rhythmically. And it will only vibrate between about 88-92 mph after doing some more investigating.

I haven't gotten under the car yet to see if my mounts are wearing out. But I'm pretty sure that's the causing the vibration. I was thinking of getting more solid trans mounts anyway. Would the Z1 torque solutions mounts work with AT?

If someone feels that it's not the mounts, what else could cause the vibration only at those speeds? I can take video if you guys would like, because it's very weird...to me anyway.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:47 AM
johndoesdamage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a torque solutions poly mount at 115k and discovered my trans mount was worn out for daily driving I do not recommend solid mount. Cabin sound will increase and it seems like exhaust tone changes also after about a week or two of driving it either got quieter or I just got use to it.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:57 PM
waldo36

My cabin is already loud with my exhaust. And I've been thinking of doing the trans mounts and trying to find some sort of diff brace. Having the transgo installed, I just want everything more solid since it shifts so hard 1st-3rd.

I've seen a prototype diff brace a guy made in the drag section, but I haven't really seen anything I could buy. Other than replacinng with stiffer diff bushings, anybody know of an actual diff brace/bracket?
Old 09-14-2014, 04:31 PM
johndoesdamage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I replaced all my bushings with whiteline definitely makes the car feel better, I installed a tranny cooler about 10k miles ago and just received my transgo kit but it's going to be awhile before I get it installed...I have a roadster with headers,tp,md resonated y pipe and rep s-tune and love the sound
Old 09-15-2014, 09:40 PM
waldo36

Ya I saw the white line bushings that Z1 (GA) has with a diff cover kit they sell. Then I found solid CNC machined "bushings" that Z-1 (NY) sells, but that seems a little overkill for daily.

Guess I'll get under it this weekend and inspect all my bushings to see how many failures I'm looking at.