Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

The Ultimate NOOB Question... New clutch vs Bad Tranny...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 05:44 PM
SoCal-Greenz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy The Ultimate NOOB Question... New clutch vs Bad Tranny...?

So as the title says this might be the ultimate NOOB question..

I've never done any clutch work before, but I have swapped my transmission fluid... Neither of those give me enough knowledge to answer drivetrain functioning....

I have both a bad clutch currently and a semi-bad transmission.. I know getting the JWT clutch and flywheel setup will be my best route and I want to eventually get my hands on a CD009. But realistically I can only afford the JWT clutch kit...

My clutch has these issues:
------rattles has a weird g-spot, makes a whiney noise, its really rough but gets squishy with 50+ miles of use or less on a hott day.. (that I know is probably the fluid but might as well do a flush when I swap the clutch..). Also when in first it starts to slip... its supper embarrassing when others are in the car or around it since it also make a gravel sound thats absolutely noticeable on an incline or when its warm...

My transmission has these issues:
-----when shifting into 5th gear it grinds on occasion and reverse is difficult to engage from time to time. Also I think that gravel comment applies more to the transmission than the clutch but like I said Im no expert...

Soooo... If I swap in a new clutch and flywheel into a semi bad transmission will it damage my clutch to use later on with the CD009 transmission down the road??
Old 10-14-2014, 05:54 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Save up and replace both at the same time - it will be a massive pain in the *** to get the transmission or engine out only to replace the clutch and then bolt it all back together only to do it all again when you get your hands on the C9.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:54 PM
SoCal-Greenz

Originally Posted by bealljk
Save up and replace both at the same time - it will be a massive pain in the *** to get the transmission or engine out only to replace the clutch and then bolt it all back together only to do it all again when you get your hands on the C9.
I would if I could afford it...

But I'm almost certain my clutch will give out before I have enough money for the transmission too
Old 10-14-2014, 08:21 PM
SoCal-Greenz

Save up and replace both at the same time - it will be a massive pain in the *** [...] .
I guess what I'm really asking would there be any issue mechanically to throw in a new clutch with a bad or worn transmission. Such as wearing the clutch out quicker or damaging the clutch because of the grinding gear?
Old 10-14-2014, 08:29 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

My girlfriend has a G-spot and it isn't weird at all, if i do the right thing it drives her crazy.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:40 PM
SoCal-Greenz

Originally Posted by samsniss350z
My girlfriend has a G-spot and it isn't weird at all, if i do the right thing it drives her crazy.

I was waiting for that one
Old 10-15-2014, 09:18 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Save up
The time spent doing this job twice you could have found a quick 2nd gig and earned the money to swap the tranny and the clutch at the same time...
Old 10-25-2014, 04:19 PM
SoCal-Greenz

The time spent doing this job twice you could have found a quick 2nd gig and earned the money to swap the tranny and the clutch at the same time...
I wish I had the time Im a full time student thats Interning with all my spare time. If I could pick up a side job I would but realistically I need a few hours to sleep and study..

However I did manage to find some time to search for parts and came across a used clutch, pressure plate and flywheel...

Anyone know what the thickness of the clutch should be (its an OEM clutch the guy took out since he was doing a LS Swap and didn't need anything from the tranny or motor anymore)