Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Start up issues

Old 10-20-2014, 08:02 PM
Rembrandt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start up issues

Ok so this is my first post. I have been lurking for a long time and usually find answers with our friend google. However there are a number of things wrong with my 03 that I have yet too see on here. I have been searching these forums for 3 years so please refrain from the "use google". If you know please help.

With that said most that I am mentioning happens only when my car sits over night or doesn't start/run several hours either over night or after work so at least 8 hours of sitting. I turn the car on, rpm revs up as normal, drops to almost 100 rpm and bogs (sometimes stalls), then shoots back to 800 rpms and holds idle. I get lots of white smoke during warm up driving and idling but goes away when warm.

Directly after starting car at all times warm or cold there is a loud noise almost sounds like a diesel truck at ignition then goes away at idle after ignition. When actually driving, only when cold and hours between starts from the last paragraph, there is a loud whistle noise for a couple miles. It is actually more like a loud constant pigeon cooing down the road. Then when warm stops.

So basically ignition, loud diesel grinding noise, bogs/stalls, white smoke, pigeon cooing down road, warms up and goes away drives relatively normal but that is for another post. Car is a 2003 350z 6MT currently 113,500 miles. Bought it 3years ago with 48k and have put mostly highway on it since due to work so it hasn't really been beat up. No tracking. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys for your time.....sorry for the long
post.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:42 PM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a headgasket?? It definitely sounds like a leak for sure, the question is, where?
Are you noticing any fluids being consumed fast, like oil, or coolant? Have you checked your oil? Is it low? When's the lst time you changed it? Maybe your tps or crank sensor? Or maybe a combo of a sensor and a leak? Any cel lights?
Old 10-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Rembrandt
[…] I turn the car on, rpm revs up as normal, drops to almost 100 rpm and bogs (sometimes stalls), then shoots back to 800 rpms and holds idle. I get lots of white smoke during warm up driving and idling but goes away when warm. […]
White exhaust might be a symptom of a leaking head gasket. Worst case it could be a warped head.

[…] Directly after starting car at all times warm or cold there is a loud noise almost sounds like a diesel truck at ignition then goes away at idle after ignition. When actually driving, only when cold and hours between starts from the last paragraph, there is a loud whistle noise for a couple miles. It is actually more like a loud constant pigeon cooing down the road. Then when warm stops. […]
Are you certain this noise is not coming from your transmission? The noise you describe is common with the 2003 and does go away as soon as the vehicles mechanisms (i.e., transmission) warms slightly.

[…] So basically ignition, loud diesel grinding noise, bogs/stalls, white smoke, pigeon cooing down road, warms up and goes away drives relatively normal but that is for another post. Car is a 2003 350z 6MT currently 113,500 miles. Bought it 3years ago with 48k and have put mostly highway on it since due to work so it hasn't really been beat up. No tracking. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys for your time.....sorry for the long
post.
Questions:
1. Is the car burning/using any oil?
2. Do you see any blue exhaust after running the car for awhile?
3. Are you adding any coolant?
Old 10-21-2014, 07:30 PM
Rembrandt

Originally Posted by FOOKhonda
Maybe a headgasket?? It definitely sounds like a leak for sure, the question is, where?
Are you noticing any fluids being consumed fast, like oil, or coolant? Have you checked your oil? Is it low? When's the lst time you changed it? Maybe your tps or crank sensor? Or maybe a combo of a sensor and a leak? Any cel lights?
If anything in the past 10k miles I have noticed that the oil burns faster than it ever has. I just had an oil change and nothing was reported. I have no engine lights and my oil pressure gauge has been pretty normal. Is there anyway to check for a gasket leak without getting a mechanic involved?
Old 10-21-2014, 07:34 PM
Rembrandt

Originally Posted by Spike100
White exhaust might be a symptom of a leaking head gasket. Worst case it could be a warped head.

Are you certain this noise is not coming from your transmission? The noise you describe is common with the 2003 and does go away as soon as the vehicles mechanisms (i.e., transmission) warms slightly.

Questions:
1. Is the car burning/using any oil?
2. Do you see any blue exhaust after running the car for awhile?
3. Are you adding any coolant?
How serious is a head gasket, would it be something that should be looked into immediately? Also when it happens such as this morning I played around with revving it in neutral while the car was in motion and the noise is not consistent with throttle with the clutch in. So maybe it could be wheel bearing or suspension related? It is however possible it is tranny since I have significant grinding issues like everyone else with an 03. I have not needed to add any coolant and it does not burn blue.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Rembrandt

I do not know if this helps but under full load. I.E. second gear pull if I let off the throttle at let's say 5k Rpm and let decline I get a harsh shuttering that I can feel and hear till it gets into the the 3k range
Old 10-21-2014, 07:52 PM
FOOKhonda

I'm almost wanting to say it could be an egr valve I had a similar problem with my old eclipse and then the mechanic didn't attach all those hoses back and a mile down the road I ran out of coolant and bout blew the engine. I thought I blew the headgasket after that but turned out it just needed more coolant which I already filled but guess it kept burning it all out. If you know what your doing pull off the heads and see if your gaskets are gone, other than that you won't know without looking. Anyone else think it could be the oil pan gasket? Maybe leaking out of there? Are you noticing it leak on the ground when you park op? A bad eve valve would usually cause you to overheat in normal stop and go traffic though.. once you get over 50ish the egr Valve doesn't really matter. If I were you if no one here can help figure it out I'd just take it to a mechanic and tell him to figure it out lol...
Old 10-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Rembrandt

I think I'm going to a mechanic there are so many things wrong with my car I think a lot of has to do with my commute I do 30k miles a year. I don't leak anything, fluid levels are normal, and no check engine lights. Oddly I also have a loud distinct ringing noise every time I hit the throttle, very quick and sharp maybe throttle body? Also whining on full load. This thing has been a nightmare. Ill follow up on what I find. Maybe it will help out members on here with similar issues.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:22 PM
FOOKhonda

The whining is probably normal if its what I think your talking about. I hear it too and a lot of people say the same and have never had any problems or anything so I wouldn't worry about that. I only hear every now and then and usually only after a lot of stop and go traffic. It's never affected performance or anything though so like I said you should be good
Old 11-11-2014, 07:07 AM
Rembrandt

Had a well known mechanic shop do a full inspection of the car while I was at work. They did not find one thing. Only thing they commented on was the fact that the brakes needed to be adjusted or better pads put on due to the squeeking. Plus I need a rear end alignment. I don't know more and more the noises this car makes drive me crazy I don't even want to get started on the rear view mirror, hatch, and dash board noises along the wind shield the cheap plastic makes.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:09 AM
Rembrandt

Smile

Thanks for all the input though at least the forums are better than the car.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:38 PM
FOOKhonda

Bad brakes and the rear tires not being aligned will cause a pretty bad shake of the car, if your brakes are bad the car shakes pretty bad when applying the brakes and if your not aligned you'll get some shake here and there and when you let off the gas is tends to feel a lot worse then just cruising.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:59 PM
padilla03z

Did the mechanic do a leak down test or a compression test?