Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Bad switch right?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 09:24 AM
bradkculp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad switch right?

For about the last 6 months, when I push the button to auto roll up my driver side window, it rolls all the way up then back down about 2-3 inches. Every time, without fail.

Also when you open and close the driver door, the window doesn't roll up/down that 1/8 inch or whatever to seal the window.

Searched everywhere tried everything.

When I do the window regulator reset (roll up window, close door, push reset button, roll down..etc....), it fixes the problem. Window auto rolls up and down as it should and the window cracks when door opens, seals when shut.

This fix lasts for about 5 mins and then goes back to doing what it was doing in the first place. (auto roll up then back down 2 in)

So, this should mean that something is just wrong with my window switch right? Or is there something I'm missing..

I should also mention that everything works on the passenger window, including the switch on the driver door.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:28 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

replace the motor....
Old 10-31-2014, 10:13 AM
bradkculp

You think it's the motor?

It otherwise works fine as long as I don't auto roll up..
Old 10-31-2014, 10:17 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

It's most likely the motor.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:29 AM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Bradkcup, this can be a common problem with many makes and models of cars. The underlying cause of this problem is children. Every car has a system to detect a child’s finger/hand being pinched by a closing window and to immediately reverse direction a few inches. The purpose of the motor reset is to teach the system the proper top extent of window travel. If your motor is forgetting this and pushes up into the weather stripping past the prescribed amount, it will feel the extra resistance and will think it has trapped some hapless child and will pull the window back a few inches.

An alternate reset procedure, (or something to augment the button reset procedure) is to put the window up (door closed) to the top by operating the switch (don’t use the auto up feature). When the window is all the way up continue keeping pressure on the switch for an extra second or two, then do the same thing lowering the window all the way, again holding the switch down that extra second or two. Repeat this (up and down) a few times (being careful to not use the auto function) and see if this can help with the reset procedure.

If there is any misalignment of the window tracts, lift cables or other regulator parts it could be adding some extra resistance to a smooth window travel that could be helping to fool the anti-pinch system.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:13 AM
bradkculp

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
Bradkcup, this can be a common problem with many makes and models of cars. The underlying cause of this problem is children. Every car has a system to detect a child’s finger/hand being pinched by a closing window and to immediately reverse direction a few inches. The purpose of the motor reset is to teach the system the proper top extent of window travel. If your motor is forgetting this and pushes up into the weather stripping past the prescribed amount, it will feel the extra resistance and will think it has trapped some hapless child and will pull the window back a few inches.

An alternate reset procedure, (or something to augment the button reset procedure) is to put the window up (door closed) to the top by operating the switch (don’t use the auto up feature). When the window is all the way up continue keeping pressure on the switch for an extra second or two, then do the same thing lowering the window all the way, again holding the switch down that extra second or two. Repeat this (up and down) a few times (being careful to not use the auto function) and see if this can help with the reset procedure.

If there is any misalignment of the window tracts, lift cables or other regulator parts it could be adding some extra resistance to a smooth window travel that could be helping to fool the anti-pinch system.
I tried this:

After the regulator reset was unsuccessful.

Another question I mean tot ask, thanks for reminding me, it seems like my window may be misaligned just slightly (see images attached - note: both photos taken with door slightly open)

You'll notice at the front of the window, it is very close (barely brushing the trim piece when closing) which makes me thing it's a bit higher than it should be. And the back of the window looks to be a bit lower than it should be...

I had a 325ci where the windows would roll up/down when opending/closing the door and I had the adjust the position of the window for the same reason, being too high in the front, too low in the back. Is there an easy way to make that sort of adjustment for the windows on the Z?

Also new development: when opening/closing the door, it has started going up/down as it should, but only about 2mm..
Attached Thumbnails Bad switch right?-img_1375.jpg   Bad switch right?-img_1376.jpg  

Last edited by bradkculp; 10-31-2014 at 11:14 AM.