Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Starting Issues and More

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 06:06 PM
lolbasemodel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Issues and More

Hey guys, so I'm having a pretty shitty day with my Z. First off, the car drove with no issues at all just 6 hours ago. Went to work and apparently we here at Indiana had our first bit of snow and it was about 35 degrees.

Started up the car, no issues. Drove for about two minutes and my speedometer/tach started flickering, going from whatever speed and rpm i was at to 0rpm/0mph intermittently. Also my abs/tpms lights went off. Then after about five minutes my front wipers wouldnt work, at all. It was getting hard to see so i had to pull over and noticed the gauge cluster wouldn't show that my turn signals were working.

Once I found a place to stop I figured (and maybe this wasn't the smartest decision, but it worked for an IS300 I owned that had it's fair share of issues) i'd turn off the car and turn it back on to let the computer readjust. Then the car wouldn't start, it'd turn over but it wouldn't start. And in the six months i've owned this car it's never even hiccuped with starting.

So my car wouldn't start, and i turned on my hazards and noticed they weren't even working properly. They were way off pattern and flickered randomly. But my radio worked perfectly? But once my parents showed up to the rescue it had a slow but successful startup. But all my other symptoms from earlier were still prevalent.

On the drive back home my wipers would intermittently go from wiping at full speed without any control, to not working at all. Voltmeter and oil pressure gauge worked fine, but the gauge cluster was still acting up, along with the temp gauge. Also it was not keeping track of mileage. And the strangest part about all of this is that my idler fan was on the whole drive. So I think my car thinks it's running hot. Once I made it home we were hoping it could just be a battery issue, cleaned the terminals and now it wont start at all.

So besides the idler fan, mechanically the car is acting fine. But there's so much wrong I dont even know what it could be, especially cause it wasn't giving any issues prior.

Sorry for the long story, but I'm hoping this will make it clear what all is happening with my car so that way hopefully one of you guys/gals could help me out. I'm at a loss for words. Drove perfectly fine earlier. This is my daily and unfortunately I'm having issues on the first day of cold weather! Would really like some help

the car is an 06 6mt Base with 75k on it.

Last edited by lolbasemodel; 10-31-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:35 PM
lolbasemodel

Also, car still will not start. But when the key is in accessory and the car isn't running, my headlights and taillights are on even though they are supposed to be off. And the idler fan will automatically start running even when the car is not.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:03 PM
jtbinvalrico

Originally Posted by lolbasemodel
I'm having issues on the first day of cold weather!
35 degrees.....what's the lowest temp been in the previous 6 months of ownership?

Sometimes a significant temp change can cause things, connectors, fittings, etc to change size just enough to reveal a dormant problem. Are you able to garage this car for a bit to warm it up? If so, I'd garage it, disconnect the battery for a while, and let it be in the cozy garage long enough to warm up. The next day, reconnect the battery and try to restart it.

Beyond that, you may have a visit to the dealer on your horizon. Even if garaging were to remedy it.......it's still worth following up on.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:19 AM
lolbasemodel

Originally Posted by jtbinvalrico
35 degrees.....what's the lowest temp been in the previous 6 months of ownership?

Sometimes a significant temp change can cause things, connectors, fittings, etc to change size just enough to reveal a dormant problem. Are you able to garage this car for a bit to warm it up? If so, I'd garage it, disconnect the battery for a while, and let it be in the cozy garage long enough to warm up. The next day, reconnect the battery and try to restart it.

Beyond that, you may have a visit to the dealer on your horizon. Even if garaging were to remedy it.......it's still worth following up on.

Hey thanks for the response but I actually figured it out! The whole ordeal seemed way to weird for me to assume it was the battery, but it ended up just being the battery. I've never heard of a car acting the way mine did to a dying battery, and i thought i had at least another year out of the thing. But we charged it a bit and the car started right up, got a scanner and it ran absolutely no codes. New battery fixed everything. Although strangely enough one of my tpms sensors stopped working. But shes driving as well as ever so I'm content
Old 11-03-2014, 10:25 AM
jtbinvalrico

Great news! We like to get the resolution up on the board next to the problem.....might save the next guy some trouble when he searches for a solution to similar symptoms.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:28 PM
lolbasemodel

Update:

Did about three hours of driving through out the day with zero issues. Just washed the car in a DIY carwash and the problem came back except my wipers weren't going crazy. Going to break out the scanner and see if I can figure something out, my guess is that something really doesn't like moisture considering this happened with snow the first time and now apparently just washing the car is enough to set this off. Temperature was 55 tonight so i doubt that temperature is the culprit.

If I can't figure anything out I'm gonna have to hand this one to someone who knows a bit more than I do. Debating on going to the stealership but they've definitely tried to screw me over before and I really dont know how it'll go when I actually need their help.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:07 PM
lolbasemodel

Car wouldn't start again. Got the scanner out and this time it read that I had a P0462 code but i never had the service engine light come up with all of this. I read that this is a fuel temperature sensor if i'm not mistaken, but everyone who has had this code was still able to drive their cars? I tried to reset the ecu via a video I found, but I guess I couldn't get the timing. The car does have a cheap subwoofer installed, but even when i disconnected it from the battery it didn't do anything. Anyone have any advice? Really dont want to have to get a tow truck just to take it to the stealership and have them bend me over on this.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:56 PM
lolbasemodel

Hey guys! I believe the issue has been resolved. Ended up going to a local shop that I trust, and they found out "several" wires were pinched underneath my Wilwood CMC that I paid out to have installed by a friend of my dad (knew I should have done it myself). But since I never did do it myself I'm not sure what wiring the guy could have pinched, but the shop rewired everything that was damaged and everything is perfect again. And it did rain just today and I had no problems whatsoever. So hopefully it really is fixed.

So it just seems like I had a one-off issue caused by the carelessness of the guy I paid. Lesson learned! lol.