Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Noisy Drive Train

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 10:52 AM
Koolsilver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Noisy Drive Train

I have had quite a lot of different noises coming from my 03 6speed Z's drive train for quite some time now and it is getting very annoying and I'm having a hard time finding the root of the issue. I have the infamous cement mixer flywheel like pretty much every other Z but I'm not worried about it since it's "normal". For about the last 25k miles I get this annoying tapping/knocking noise coming from under the front middle area of my car. I've done several oil analysis all coming back normal and I don't believe it is detonation so I'm ruling out engine. The noise gets louder and faster with the rise of RPMs and also is louder depending on which gear I'm in; it also seems to increase in volume with the amount of engine loud or torque. If I grip the shifter very firmly the noise will become significantly quieter. This of course led me to believe something on my shifter was rattling but I can't find anything which now I'm thinking something in the transmission is shaking or moving in some way and the noise resonates through the shifter.

More noises not sure if related. Recently I have noticed when the car is cold when I shift from 1st to 2nd and pretty much only during the transitioning time I hear a faint whirling noise. My clutch pedal will also pretty randomly kind of click or pop when pressing and depressing, I'm thinking this is more of a spring binding in the actual pedal. Lastly I know all cars make a nasty like grinding noise when trying to accelerate at low RPMs in too high of a gear but it sounds like mine is excessively loud.

All transmission related components are stock except for RJM clutch pedal.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:00 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

just speaking off the cuff..... maybe your transmission mount?
Old 11-18-2014, 11:57 PM
Koolsilver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
just speaking off the cuff..... maybe your transmission mount?
I've been highly considering this. I've tried to check out the mounts and from what I've seen they look ok but I haven't been able to get a good look at them by just jacking up the car. The one being hidden by the brace doesn't make anything easier
Old 08-12-2015, 08:56 AM
infinitebaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is having the same problems that you described. What did yours turn out to be?

Thanks