Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2003 350Z Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 02:59 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GarniZ33
What ended up being your problem?

And my cars comcarnsy misfiring, so I don't think it would be a good idea to take it out and drive it while logging.

My OBDII does have a live can feature but I've only used it on idle, is there any info I can give you from there to help me out?
Originally Posted by GarniZ33
What ended up being your problem?

And my cars comcarnsy misfiring, so I don't think it would be a good idea to take it out and drive it while logging.

My OBDII does have a live can feature but I've only used it on idle, is there any info I can give you from there to help me out?
I listed my problem in my first post.

I assume that it should say "constantly misfiring" above? I answered you a couple of time quickly at work and I did miss a couple of details such as being able to drive it ,etc.

If you don't have cats, I guess you can run it safely at idle for some trouble shooting in the garage. But live readings are supposed to only be trusted after the car warms up (thermostat is 165-185 from what I can recall).

So,
1) literally a constant misfire or is it random? (mine sometimes only happened once a week on a daily driver) I would think a constant misfire will make this somewhat easier.
2) can you run the car safely long enough to warm it up then get all of the live readings possible with the scanner and post them here for us? That would be a great first step.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:04 PM
GarniZ33

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bjr
I listed my problem in my first post.

I assume that it should say "constantly misfiring" above? I answered you a couple of time quickly at work and I did miss a couple of details such as being able to drive it ,etc.

If you don't have cats, I guess you can run it safely at idle for some trouble shooting in the garage. But live readings are supposed to only be trusted after the car warms up (thermostat is 165-185 from what I can recall).

So,
1) literally a constant misfire or is it random? (mine sometimes only happened once a week on a daily driver) I would think a constant misfire will make this somewhat easier.
2) can you run the car safely long enough to warm it up then get all of the live readings possible with the scanner and post them here for us? That would be a great first step.
Yah, it is a constant misfire.
It doesn't go away and come back, it just misfires as soon as the car is turned on until I shut it off.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:56 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So I am guessing that you don't want to run it a lot. You could still start it up and tell us the live data anyway.
You said that you changed plugs and bought all new coil packs. I think that you said it misfired before and after you did this. But lets get the obvious problem out of the way first. Did you confuse the wiring harness for coil pack 4 and 6? This is the most common mistake in a plug change. I know it seems obvious but if you did make that mistake, you could have had a bad coil before the swap, then put in all new coils but wired them wrong and still have a misfire. Long shot but make sure you didn't do this first. You would not be the first person to do this.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:27 AM
GarniZ33

Originally Posted by bjr
So I am guessing that you don't want to run it a lot. You could still start it up and tell us the live data anyway.
You said that you changed plugs and bought all new coil packs. I think that you said it misfired before and after you did this. But lets get the obvious problem out of the way first. Did you confuse the wiring harness for coil pack 4 and 6? This is the most common mistake in a plug change. I know it seems obvious but if you did make that mistake, you could have had a bad coil before the swap, then put in all new coils but wired them wrong and still have a misfire. Long shot but make sure you didn't do this first. You would not be the first person to do this.
Yah, I double checked all the coil pack and injector wiring. They're all in the correct firing order and pushed in until they clicked.

I gave up on fixing it myself, waiting on some performance parts to come in the mail and I'm just going to have it towed to the mechanics to fix and install everything.

Will keep you guys updated on the fix tho!

Thanks for all the help
Old 12-13-2014, 10:10 AM
GarniZ33

Originally Posted by bjr
Update: My mechanic got my car running again. The problem wasn't anything we named. My wiring harness had a cut in it somewhere. Swapped that, problem solved!
Old 12-14-2014, 03:23 AM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was the main harness??
Old 12-14-2014, 10:54 AM
NAbuilderZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knew it was something electrical. Congrats on getting your Z back in shape!
Old 12-15-2014, 07:17 AM
GarniZ33

Originally Posted by taywan
It was the main harness??
Yah, the part where it splits into the wires for the coil pack harnesses had a cut wire, must of damaged it while working on my car.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:18 AM
GarniZ33

Originally Posted by NAbuilderZ33
Knew it was something electrical. Congrats on getting your Z back in shape!
Yah, I had a feeling it was electrical as well but thank you!

She's back at the shop getting all her new goodies installed, then she's off for a tune
Old 12-15-2014, 07:38 AM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm ok. I'll dig into that area one day. I'm having the misfire issue a lot lately. Random and cylinder 6. Not an injector, coil, nor plug. Has to be something similar to this.
Thanks
Old 12-15-2014, 09:31 PM
GarniZ33

Originally Posted by taywan
Hmmm ok. I'll dig into that area one day. I'm having the misfire issue a lot lately. Random and cylinder 6. Not an injector, coil, nor plug. Has to be something similar to this.
Thanks
Yah, check it out! Good luck man