Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

repair cost estimate

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 09:58 PM
cheong0618

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy repair cost estimate

got my Z damaged...
was making a left turn and i lost control, car did a 180 spin and the driver side ended up hitting the curb.

when i check the car day time, exterior discovered front left rim for scratch, back driver side wheel is "bent", the top was stuck in the frame, it looks like one of the hella flash when looking from the back. back of the car, especially the left side is lowered 1-1.5 inch.
no other exterior scratches, air bags on the driver side both the head and by the door deployed

was able to start the car (no front/engine damage), but when i put it in R, it wont move.
called the tow truck and the guy told me suspension and drive shaft is broker (when i look underneath the car i can see a piece of metal, close to the left rear wheel is broken and falling off.

anywho, i could update some pic later, but any idea how much is it gonna cost to repair it for an estimate? i called the adjuster and she told me airbag could be very expensive to replace (she said $8000, and i googled said the parts are about 500-800 plus labour)

not sure if all the parts adds up could be a total loss...it would suck since the exterior was in perfect condition and engine only has 90k km on it...
Old 12-02-2014, 12:04 AM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pics will help a lot, but only seems to be bout 2k tops to fix, from what I'm getting is new rear drivers side wheel/tire, (driveshaft if broken) possibly control arms, and air bag replacements. With labor it would probably be under 2k but who knows..

Again, pics will help tremendously
Old 12-02-2014, 03:57 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

i am going to out on a limb here and say........

one million dollars

how the heck are we supposed to know, we arent adjusters, dont know the damage to the car, the condition of the car, etc etc etc.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:02 AM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

If I had to guess, I would say it will be totaled.
What in the world were you doing to lose control?
It takes a concerted effort for me to break the wheels loose in my z, usually VDC off and a really wet road.

Last edited by bith8791; 12-02-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:28 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Yea, but how about that sick drift, bro?
Old 12-02-2014, 05:33 AM
travlee
Master

are you by chance related to someone named Dugan?
Old 12-02-2014, 07:09 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by cheong0618
got my Z damaged...
was making a left turn and i lost control, car did a 180 spin and the driver side ended up hitting the curb.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:28 AM
meanz

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

got my Z damaged...
was making a sweet mad tyte drift, should of powered out but instead I double clutched and i lost control, car did a 180 spin and the driver side ended up hitting the curb
Fixed
Old 12-02-2014, 08:52 AM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Did this happen on Thanksgiving?

Please say it did.

Lie to me if you have to.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:35 AM
FOOKhonda

Originally Posted by bith8791
If I had to guess, I would say it will be totaled.
What in the world were you doing to lose control?
It takes a concerted effort for me to break the wheels loose in my z, usually VDC off and a really wet road.
I don't know man, on certain roads I've spun tires with tcs on not even trying to...
Old 12-02-2014, 09:57 AM
travlee
Master

but if it was on, it would have kicked in. i usually drive with mine off unless raining
Old 12-02-2014, 10:22 AM
FOOKhonda

I usually have mine on at all times, just turn it off when I don't want it. Although, I had something like this happen in the rain with it on, cause some a hole was doing like 40 in a 55 so when I finally got the chance to get over I start to pass him and he swerved into my lane, and pushes me into a turning lane and he continues to swerve over again so I hit the gas, passed him, went back into the lane and the back end started to come around and I pulled a 180 and slid off into the grass, missed a broken down jetta by a couple feet, I flicked the guy off and got out of my car to go bust him in the face and he took off and turned and hauled ***

Luckily, the car was fine, but I was furious, I would have went to jail if he wouldn't have taken off.

Moral of the story- tcs didn't do jack s*** lol
Old 12-02-2014, 10:02 PM
cheong0618

thanks all for the response. it still hurts to think about the damage, it never had a dint on its 9 years life so far...

answering everyone in one post:

no, im not Dugan
yes, it happened on thanksgiving (did i just say yes cause you wanted me to anyways)
i always have my VDC on. to me its not different to spin the wheel. say at a fully stopped red light, and if i were to make a 90 degree left turn, if i stepped on the peddle keep enough, it rear will loss a bit already

and i did had it off when it happened, it was about 10 mins after snowing, i was going under 50 for sure. as i was slowing down before i make the left turn. did have winter tire as well

here are some pics

Old 12-02-2014, 10:14 PM
FOOKhonda

I think its safe to say anything touching that wheel, including the wheel will have to be replaced. All that suspension looks done. And hope its not worse then what it looks :/ probably a $300 - $500 fix at least just in the last pic

Edit- you'll probably also have to replace the axle on that side (at least) which will probably be at least $500, all the pairs I've seen were around 1200$...

Last edited by FOOKhonda; 12-02-2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:42 AM
travlee
Master

spring bucket, camber arm, possibly shock, wheel, seat (due to side airbag going off), side curtain airbag.... i think **** really undershot the estimate, just because airbags are expensive

axle may be okay, they can move quite a bit
Old 12-03-2014, 05:56 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Any estimate provided here is just that- an estimate. When you take it into a body shop, they'll most likely find more damage that is not apparent from the limited pictures you posted. Please finish this thread by posting what the final estimate is and what the insurance says. Also, although it was a relatively low speed accident, it's noteworthy that all the crash systems worked (no shrapnel from exploding airbags) and you walked away without injury. Your Z gave it up for you and I suspect it will be headed to the salvage yard as a result.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:17 AM
FOOKhonda

If they do say its totalled, which I agree it probably is, since everyone also thinks so and they know what their talking about. I would just turn it into a track z. At this point it'd be worth it, wouldn't be too hard of a fix. And might as well through in bucket seats instead of the stock ones.

Also, didn't think about replacing the seat in my last post.

Last edited by FOOKhonda; 12-03-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:45 AM
cheong0618

Originally Posted by dkmura
Any estimate provided here is just that- an estimate. When you take it into a body shop, they'll most likely find more damage that is not apparent from the limited pictures you posted. Please finish this thread by posting what the final estimate is and what the insurance says. Also, although it was a relatively low speed accident, it's noteworthy that all the crash systems worked (no shrapnel from exploding airbags) and you walked away without injury. Your Z gave it up for you and I suspect it will be headed to the salvage yard as a result.
thanks all for the reply, will definitely keep you guys posted as the claim proceed, it will still be another week or so before an adjuster goes to check out the damage.

understand its all estimate, im prepared to pay the deductible to repairing with 500 or 5000 doesnt really concern me, i was just wondering if it would end up being total, or i will get my car back with $8000 repair on it.
the local market value on this Z is around $13-15k, even its a total it would be hard for me to get a similar performance car without adding $.

i wonder if they would replace both my front and rear driver side wheel or just touching up, or not even gonna fix them? especially the left rear one is scratched up pretty bad, not sure if insurance would bother.

didnt know the seat needed to be replace because the airbag deployed, i thought they could insert a new airbag.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:59 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

i wonder if they would replace both my front and rear driver side wheel or just touching up, or not even gonna fix them? especially the left rear one is scratched up pretty bad, not sure if insurance would bother.

didnt know the seat needed to be replace because the airbag deployed, i thought they could insert a new airbag.
You have to understand the wheels could have damage to either the front or backsides of the wheels. Damaged or bent wheels can result in a catestrophic accident, so NO insurance company can afford to skimp on those kind of repairs. Replacing those two wheels alone will be over $1K.

As for the side-impact airbag, no, it's not possible to just put a new airbag into the seat. The cost of safety is high and as I said before, your Z really gave it up to save you from pain and injury.

Last edited by dkmura; 12-05-2014 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:02 PM
cheong0618

Originally Posted by dkmura
You have to understand the wheels could have damage to either the front or backsides of the wheels. Damaged or bent wheels can result in a catestrophic accident, so insurance company can afford to skimp on those kind of repairs. Replacing those two wheels alone will be over $1K.

As for the side-impact airbag, no, it's not possible to just put a new airbag into the seat. The cost of safety is high and as I said before, your Z really gave it up to save you from pain and injury.

Hi fokes,

Got an email today from insurance company saying the adjustment concluded its a total loss. Will get back to me with a settlement.

Quick Reply: repair cost estimate