Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Transmission Grind While Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 02:42 PM
Lancec1995

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Grind While Accelerating

Hi, first off this is my first post and I actually just made this account. I have tried searching for this but I haven't found an answer to my problem exactly. I'm 19, and I bought my 06 Enthusiast about two weeks ago (before anyone assumes too much I am paying for the car with my money, my parents are not funding it...). I drove the car for two days until I dropped the transmission with a few friends of mine to replace the TOB (which we thought was the problem). Now that the new bearing is on, i'm at a loss. Under acceleration whether it's hard or light I hear a buzzing or grinding noise. this happens in all gears and is somewhat louder near 3500-4000 rpm. Remember this only happens while accelerating. Also, when the transmission warms up after about 30 minutes of driving while the car is in neutral and the clutch is engaged, (pedal out) I hear rattling from the tranny, when the cluch is disengaged the sound disappears. It might be worth noting that while removing the tranny I noticed I have the JWT flywheel/clutch/PP setup. That being said, I figured the rattle at idle could be a more pronounced neutral rollover due to the lightweight flywheel, but nobody i have talked to understands why this only happens after driving for a while.

I'm more concerned with the grinding noise. I also noticed while under the car that it looks like the clutch fork is almost resting on the pressure plate with the clutch engaged, there might be a couple millimeters of play where i can manually move the fork until it hits the PP and it also has a small groove on it from where the TOB rests (the clutch and PP only have 5k miles on them). And if it makes a difference, there is maybe a millimeter of play from the input shaft. My thoughts were that the input shaft bearing could be going out, the fork could be rattling on the pressure plate, or it could be gear rollover? Please, if this has been covered already direct me to that thread I was just trying to be as descriptive as possible for my exact situation. The only reason I have not taken this to a shop yet is because I spent almost all of my money on the down payment and i thought you guys would be able to help me out.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2014, 05:42 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Did you check the rear diff? Final drives that were installed wrong makes all sorts of funky noises.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:47 AM
Lancec1995

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't checked that yet, although I can definitely hear both noises from the transmission, almost like it was coming from just in front of the shifter. If the diff was installed incorrectly could it put more strain on the transmission gears causing them to grind like that? I'm a little new to 350z's so I have no idea what is normal and what isn't. And of course I didn't drive the car long enough on the test drive to make these problems apparent.