Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

overheating fluctuation issue

Old 03-24-2015, 11:23 AM
absolutfrase

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outside of using the temp guage as an indicator, was the car puking water? If not, I'm thinking you might be having an electrical issue. It's possible the temp sending unit is going out & sending crazy signals. Use a laser thermo to check the radiator temp to check the accuracy against the temp guage. Had a car that showed hot on the guage, but an under hood check showed all was well. Replaced the temp sending unit & guage read correctly. Never've known for a thermostat to gradually quit working. My experience has been it works one minute, the next not.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:38 PM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by absolutfrase
Outside of using the temp guage as an indicator, was the car puking water? If not, I'm thinking you might be having an electrical issue. It's possible the temp sending unit is going out & sending crazy signals. Use a laser thermo to check the radiator temp to check the accuracy against the temp guage. Had a car that showed hot on the guage, but an under hood check showed all was well. Replaced the temp sending unit & guage read correctly. Never've known for a thermostat to gradually quit working. My experience has been it works one minute, the next not.
you know, I was actually thinking that this whole time. The problem is that its only happened twice for a very short period of time and it would be hard to get it tested while its actually having the problem to verify it for sure.

But the reason I do believe it to be true is because both time when I checked under the hood it showed no signs of overheating, and the first time it made it almost all the way to the h when i tried turning on the heater to pull the heat off the engine. There was no smoke, no water boiling. When I had my eclipse and the stupid mechanic replaced the egr valve and never put the hoses back on it overheated immediately, drained all the water out in like a minute, and it smoked bad and water was boiling, and I never had any obvious signs of the z overheating, so I do believe you are likely right and this also confirms my suspicion of that being the problem
Old 05-15-2015, 08:08 PM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I need help again, we replaced the thermostat today cause it started overheating again today, we bled the lines the best we could at the time, but, its still overheating. I wanna see if you guys think its the temp sensor, water pump, or the radiator. The fans are working, once it gets to operating temp they both kick on. After replacing the thermostat we get home after it still overheating I tested the old thermostat and it worked fine so it wasn't the problem in the first place. I'm gonna tow it to my gfs moms so we can flush the radiator but I don't think its the water pump cause everyone says it'd be leaking, or making noise, and its not doing either from what I can tell.

Is there a checklist any of you think I could run through at this point to help figure out what it is, I've replaced the cap and thermostat and have pretty much replaced all the coolant. I'm hoping its just the radiator being clogged or something but won't know til we flush it.