Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Loud noises!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 02:54 PM
Rembrandt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud noises!

I have a 2003 touring 6spd with what seems to be every possible issue one could have and it currently has 118k miles on it with about 10k miles on a brand new clutch/flywheel/pressure plate/throw out bearing/slave and master cylinder. I do not think that what I am about to post would have anything to do with those components but its good to note. Also to note my transmission is pretty bad as they synchro mesh is just gone i have grinding in 3,4,5,6 up and downshifts.

Firstly my car for almost a year at least 6 months has been close to bogging on start up no matter what season whether it is summer, fall, winter it happens guaranteed. I would say that 7 out of 10 start ups it will bog down to 200 rpms like it is going to die and then shoots up to idle and holds. 3 out of 10 starts it will actually die after ignition. It only happens when the car sits for a prolonged period of time which means every morning and when every in the day it sits for more than 3-4 hours.

Second issue is that no matter how long the car is allowed to warm up for after ignition it will create this very loud whining noise for a mile or two and then for a couple miles after that there is a loud pigeon cooing noise. Now i finally have it on video and it sounds softer in the video than it is in real life, its very loud, but I have it here so if anyone could shed some light it would be much appreciated. In the video I did not let it warm up as I wanted to capture it at its worst but like I said warm or cold it doesn't matter same noise happens just various degrees as to how long it lingers around for. Also the variations in the whining noises and loudness seem to not be connected to the transmission as they make the noises out of gear when revving the engine in neutral. Thanks.

Oh and does anyone know how to change the format of the .MOV video it is recorded on my iphone and i use a macbook pro so if anyone knows I'm sure the video would help a lot.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:09 PM
Kels88

For the bogging/dying issue see if the throttle relearn helps. For the transmission grinds, you can take it to a shop and get a quote or you can go to Z1motorsports online and get a new one.

It's also winter time, the loud gear noises means the trans/diff fluid is cold as **** and it's not warm upon startup. If you are still hearing it after running down the road after it is warm I think it is time to change them out. There are a few threads/arguments on what fluid to use as well. Just make sure you are using the right one for your application.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:51 PM
Rembrandt

Thanks for the help! I'll look into the throttle relearn and how to do that. It has to do with sequence of turn key and pressing the throttle correct? Well that is the weird part just last week i purposely let it warm for 15 minutes then took it out and it did the exact same whining noise. Like i said when i figure out a way to convert the video what can be posted ill put it up maybe many others are experiencing the same thing.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:10 PM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

The throttle position sensor could cause that(I think).
I need to hear the video, I have an image of a pigeon perched on your dash cooing but can't imagine where that noise could emanate from.
Like Kels88 said, with winter in full swing, your transmission fluid will be cold and you'll hear some noises emanating from that region until it's warmed up, not to mention z's are kinda noisy compared to other cars.
It sucks you're having these problems, I'm proud to say I have had zero problems from my z in over 10 years/116,xxx miles except a door handle.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:42 PM
Rembrandt

haha yeah i know i don't really know how to explain except cooing. Well the video was to large to post here so i put it on youtube. Here's the link for it. The weird part is that it makes these noises in the middle of summer when it all begin the ignition and the whining and all that. However when I am driving down the road in gear cruising along and its making the whining and cooing noise i take it out of gear, leave it in neutral, and the noise continues on. In fact in some instances the whining and cooing goes along with the engine as i rev it and as the car rolls along down the road. The noise seemed to be reacting to the engine revs getting more violent as it revved higher but in other cases the revs seemed to not have anything to do with the sounds at all. You'll see me try to in the video however it did nothing to provoke the noises this time.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:59 PM
bith8791

Hmm, I didn't hear any weird(for a z) transmission noises, granted I'm no mechanic, I have to consult Google for nearly everything but to me the cooing if I'm guessing the correct sound, it sounds maybe like air escaping, have you listened to it with the hood up?
Can you narrow down it's location?
Old 01-14-2015, 05:36 AM
Rembrandt

at the 10 second mark that high pitch noise is the whining and goes for half the video and then when i get on it a little on the main road thats when the cooing noise starts and keeps going they both are at the same time just ran out of video time. Def not normal but is coming from the front end. Doesn't make any noise stationary it has to be moving.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:12 AM
Kels88

I would def. try to change the tranny fluid out asap. Make damn sure it is GL4 not GL5 as your first post already indicates grinding due to synchros and you don't want to totally blow them all the way out of the transmission.

Also, the synchros are a know issue for all of us. It might be time to get a new tranny.... Was this happening all the time even before winter time? Like, per say, middle of summer?

Here's a link for you: http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...optjua1jgip5q0

and GL OP.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:23 AM
Kels88

Originally Posted by Rembrandt
haha yeah i know i don't really know how to explain except cooing. Well the video was to large to post here so i put it on youtube. Here's the link for it. The weird part is that it makes these noises in the middle of summer when it all begin the ignition and the whining and all that. However when I am driving down the road in gear cruising along and its making the whining and cooing noise i take it out of gear, leave it in neutral, and the noise continues on. In fact in some instances the whining and cooing goes along with the engine as i rev it and as the car rolls along down the road. The noise seemed to be reacting to the engine revs getting more violent as it revved higher but in other cases the revs seemed to not have anything to do with the sounds at all. You'll see me try to in the video however it did nothing to provoke the noises this time.

Loud Noises 350z - YouTube
Holy **** bro, in your video your car isn't warm yet at all. The needle looks buried below the line still. The temp gauge from about 27 secs in to 50 secs is visible and you're almost flooring it at 1min in. Be careful, you don't want to crack the block and have tranny problems at the same time.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:54 AM
Rembrandt

Haha yeah I know kells I did that on purpose just too show what it was doing cold however even warmed letting it sit 10-15 mins it makes the exact same noise. I always let it warm up every time I'll take a vid with it warm but it's the same thing. I know about the tranny issue i bought it 2.5 years ago with 48k on it and 3rd started grinding around 65k and has been becoming progressively worse over time to what it is now.

As For the noise I'd say it started mid summer at first just really light cooing then louder cooing then the grinding probably most of it developed over the fall.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:45 PM
Kels88

Well damn.... I'm not sure if fluid changing would even help you out then. My 08 is making all sorts of racket right now because of the cold. I just picked her up before the temps started plummeting and had no noise at all. Now it sounds like a ****ing semi for about 15 minutes then clears up.
I hope everything works out for ya.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:48 PM
Kels88

On second thought, why they hell not. Just change the fluid and maybe there will be a difference in noise? I would at least try that first.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:16 PM
Rembrandt

Originally Posted by Kels88
On second thought, why they hell not. Just change the fluid and maybe there will be a difference in noise? I would at least try that first.
Haha that's the spirit! The hell with it I might as well I need an oil change anyways might as well have that done. It's kind of defeating though I tried to get this taken care of months again when I started hearing it but of course not one mechanic shop and figure out what it is
Old 04-09-2015, 10:38 AM
bith8791

Did you ever figure out what was wrong?
Old 04-14-2015, 06:23 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

This is all I thought about when I saw the title.
Attached Thumbnails Loud noises!-loudnoises.jpg  
Old 04-14-2015, 11:59 AM
bith8791

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
This is all I thought about when I saw the title.