Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Need advice for my 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:34 AM
JJC42482

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice for my 350Z

Hi all. I am the original owner of a 2004 350Z Touring, which I got nearly 11 years ago. I have just about 173k miles on the car. I'm wondering how long this thing can run with it costing me and arm and a leg. I've had relatively little issues over the years. I still have the original suspension, original headlights/brake lights, original transmission and engine. My catalytic converter went just before 80k but luckily was under warranty still. I have had a few oxygen sensors go bad. One window motor needed replacing and the other is on the fritz. My oil gauge sensor has been broken for a few years now and I haven't replaced it. It seems that my fuel gauge has been inaccurate for several years, as when I fill the tank, it doesn't show a full tank, and the low fuel indicator goes on much too soon. I was told my suspension should be replaced. But I have been very diligent about maintenance and repairs. I get the oil changed routinely. I try and follow all the guidelines. I replaced the brake pads and rotors a few times, have had multiple sets of tires, transmission fluid changed roughly every 60k, rear diff fluid changed every 40-50k, coolant changed every 30-40k. But realistically, the car is going to need more costly repairs given the mileage it has. Also, I crashed the car into a curb last weekend due to the snow, and now it's not driving right. There was not much visual damage other than some scratched paint at the very bottom near the front tire (possible damage underneath maybe?). I'm going to have to have it looked at. Any suggestions as to whether or not I should get rid of the car? Will the repairs/maintenance that will have to be made be more costly than getting another car with obvious car payments? I'm sure there are numerous things that will need replacing and it will be costly.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:41 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

More than likely, your Z will require little in the form of major repairs. With good maintenance like you've done, there's a better chance ancillary components like alternators, injectors, window motors, etc. will go out from time-to-time. You'll also want to refresh worn shocks, bearings, seats, mats, etc as they get too worn to continue with. But Nissan continued a very strong Z line with the Z33 and I'd expect your VQ to last over 300K before you need to replace it. That's at least a few years down the road.

But damage like the shunt you had last weekend will definitely accelerate the wear on your Z. You probably threw the alighnment out at the least and more than likely bent some suspension components. If you're going to keep the Z, this would be a good time to have a full assessment done and replace not only the damaged parts, but also spend a little extra and get some higher quality shocks (Koni, Bilstein) and other parts to replace the old before you get it all realigned. This will amount to a few hundred dollars, depending on the shops in your area, but will be thousands less than just trading it in on a new car. Believe me, you'll miss your Z...
Old 02-24-2015, 12:42 PM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I bought my Touring model in '04 too and have just hit 120,*** miles, I put roughly 2,000 miles on it a month driving to and from work and with the exception of a door handle going out have had zero problems, like you I change the oil every 3,000 miles and have done every scheduled maintenance, I've seen our cars with well over 200,000 miles still going strong.
I plan on upgrading soon, preferably to an '15 370z Touring, I'm going to continue to daily my 350z, there's no way I'm putting those kind of miles on a new car, I'll drive my 350z until it falls apart or I decide to turn it into a track toy and get a new daily.